What is your next headphone purchase and why?
Nov 27, 2010 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

KneelJung

1000+ Head-Fier
Who's thinking about what, just curious. I've been thinking about a Fostex T50RP for a while. Lot's of thoughts coalescing together as to why. First off I imagine it's because it can be had for not a whole lot of money. Second a thought SLaRe posited in the HF2 review impressions thread that I found very intriguing.

[size=10pt]"...It may be a crime for someone, but I consider the Fostex T50RP and the HF-2 to be a perfect couple, at least for my needs. Other people could have different needs or tastes."[/size]

[size=10pt]It sort of repiqued my interest since I was seriously considering it before my HF2 purchase. I sort of chose another direction because I had heard it described as the anti Grado. I suppose the other thing that has me intrigued is how those that love it so much compare it to headphones that are much more expensive. SP Wild's impressions in the T50 thread said:[/size]

[size=10pt]"...The cheapest upgrade of the HD650 is the T50, it will only cost the extra wallet space for the extra cash that will end up being there."[/size]

[size=10pt]Of course ultimately it probably doesnt really matter how favorably it compares to more expensive phones if I dont like it, but I would like to see what this ortho fuss is all about without breaking the bank.[/size]

[size=10pt]The other possibility is the DT880 but for now my desire to try the T50 is greater than my desire to try the DT880. just curious what other head fiers were thinking for their next headphone purchase and why?[/size]

Nov 27, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #2 of 54
I've got a pair of DT770-600s incoming.  Apparently they've got more bass and less treble than the DT990s, which sounds about perfect for me.  I'm also interested in trying the Denon D1100s, but that will probably only happen if I don't like the DT770s.  I'd still like to be monogamous.

Nov 27, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #3 of 54
I think it will be the JH13. I'm at the end of the road with everything else. I have the dynamic and electrostatic headphones I love. I have one pair of "dream" speakers and I'll finish building my ultimate pair of speakers in a few months (hopefully). I have the parts and amps, just need the cabinets and some free time.

But what I don't have is a great pair of IEMs. I've been using the Shure e3c for years (still like them), but was sincerely impressed by the JH13 at CanJam. I'm on the fence about the JH3A, but I plan to grab the JH13.

The LCD2 is tempting. Great headphones, but I don't know if they'd displace the HD-800. Even if I like them, they might spend a lot of time sleeping in their box.

I'll reevaluate when Sennheiser brings out another flagship, but that will be six or seven years off. I'll also take a look at the rumored new AKG. I doubt it will better the K-1000, but I'll give it a listen.

Nov 27, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #4 of 54
I'm thinking of a Christmas splurge of either Manufaktur DT 880/600's or Ultrasone Pro 900's. I already have the DT 880/32 which has quickly become my favorite headphone but I wish I had gone all out Manufaktur the first time around in fear of this exact scenario happening. If I did go with the Manufaktur I would probably get my name engraved (can't think of anything clever) and get T1 colors (it looks like champagne is the same/close) and I would call it my T-Wannabe. I'm just afraid it would turn out gold and then I would have a DT 880 Bling instead...

So far my headphone track is Grado (bright), Beyer (neutral), so Ultrasone seems like the logical "dark" headphone for me. Every part of me believes money would be better spent on a different headphone but I also really want the Manufaktur lol... I gotta admit the Pro 900 looks sexy, and the folding feature is also very attractive as not many audiophile level headphones have that feature.

Off-topic; I've heard from only one person that buyauthorized is a genuine seller on eBay. I just wanted some reassurance because if I do decide to go with the Pro 900 they clearly seem to have the best price without being overly "too good to be true."

Nov 27, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #6 of 54
It's a rather big debate right now.  I'm sure the future will hold one custom IEM, the LCD2 (or the HE6) and the K1000 (the last meet allowed me to reconfirm my love of them) but in which order, I do not know.  Also I'm curious about the latest TOTL Stax that is coming out, the tentatively named C32.  I do not really count mid and low end stuff as planned purchases as I tend to buy them as I see a decent deal come along.  

Lately it's been difficult to focus on just headphones since I'm trying to build so many different things at the same time.  DIY has opened a whole new expensive hobby as I look at brand name multimeters, oscilloscopes, drill presses and cnc routers.

Nov 27, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #9 of 54
Got the following headphones on the way from various sellers:

higher-end ($250-$400 MSRP):
Denon AH-D2000

mid-range ($100-250 MSRP):
Audio Technica ATH-M50s
Audio Technica ATH-AD700

cheapies (less than $100 MSRP):
Sennheiser HD201
JVC HA-RX500
Sony MDR-XD100

My next HP purchase will probably be a set of Grados in a few months.  I'm leaning towards the SR325i.  They intrigue me and I've heard a few good things about them.  I also like the "silver" look of the outer part of the phones.  Quite stylish.  Since they are said to be brighter than most, I'll probably use them mainly with rock and classical music in a quiet listening environment.  The 32 Ohm impedance should allow them to be driven well enough from most of my sources.

Nov 27, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #10 of 54
Might sell everything I have for some JH13's. I'm getting underwhelming isolation from my RE0's. A lot of sound bleeds in and I can barely hear any bass.

Would use the 13's at home too.

Nov 27, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #11 of 54
My next headphone purchase was sooner than I thought.  Considering the TripleFi were such a great deal.  With that I might spend more on trying out custom sleeves and seeing if I can use those custom ear mold kits to see if a custom sleeve is doable for the SR001.

Nov 27, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #12 of 54
I'm trying to decide between Denon D7000's and HD 800's at the moment. I already own D5000's and HD 650's and I'm intrigued what the next step would bring. I'm kinda leaning towards the HD 800's since I've loved the HD 650's since the first moment I heard them, but I'm a little apprehensive about the amount I'd have to invest first in the 'phones themselves and a better suited amp.

Nov 27, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #13 of 54
I have MEElectronic M6 and UE Triple.fi 10 coming.  My next full size headphone will be Audio Technica w1000x just because it is so pretty :)  Probably not before the holidays, but will be in the early months of next year... or whenever the exchange rate get better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back