What is YOUR biggest obstacle in experiencing audio nirvana?
Mar 13, 2011 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

jaechung253

New Head-Fier
I know this question seems simple enough because I see alot of people are in situations where they cannot purchase high end equipment. But... as a part time working student I find that with much devotion and patience, that $300 headphones and that $200 dollar amp along with it doesn't seem too far away from grasp. (And by no means am I saying that this is "high end" stuff but you get what I mean.)

What i DO find quite difficult in today's age is finding quality sources and files. What good is an expensive piece of equipment if the files you have are not properly recorded? I hate this. Most of my music pretty much consists of a couple of lossless but mainly MP3 files (it's hard to find and download lossless files online.) And even some CDs don't have that good of quality. I come across some albums where it sounds like heaven... then others that sound pretty much like mp3s. And it seems that with the music I listen to (more mainstream stuff) the recordings seem like they have taken shortcuts. Of course I am not slamming any particular album I am just saying in general.

So, I'm just curious to see what people find the biggest obstacle. To me? It is the source itself. Oh and if you have whatever obstacle that is not the 2 above mentioned then share!

Sorry if I wasted your time... it seems like a useless thread but I'm just curious :)

Mar 13, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #5 of 46
Sources are a problem, all of my stuff has cheap DACs in it so it's not really worth going too far out of the way for it. The prices of a good DAC is out of reach and then a good amp is just adding to that so I won't be getting all the way there any time soon. But my biggest problem is getting the people around me to shut up and stay quiet enough to really enjoy the open phones without the constant bang, yell from one person to another, or even the furnace turning on is loud enough some times.

Mar 13, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #6 of 46
My sources and price for sure. My sansa clip can handle my grados fine but battery life limits its effective long term use. Furthermore my computer has no DAC or sound card, only onboard audio and I can't help but feel that the audio on my computer is much harsher and a tad brighter in comparison to my clip which is kinda smooth. I would get a dedicated DAC but I just don't really have the money right now unless someone could recommend me a cheap DAC, preferably one under a hundred dollars

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #7 of 46
My head :wink:... But it got a lot better. Not expecting one headphone to do it all means I now have tons of headphones sounding superb. Not stuck with either yin or yang.

Mar 13, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #9 of 46
X2 on time.

I have everything I always wanted. But there are still a bunch of unfinished DIY projects and not enough time to listen to what I do have.

Hopefully, this will clear up sooner or later.

Mar 13, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #10 of 46
The recording/source.
Not the equipment, I have lived for 10 years with budget Sony MDR-CD270 headphones and never felt I missed something, there only was the annoyance of a poor recorded CD at times.

Now my biggest gripe is Youtube clips, not music clips per se (most are uploaded in acceptable bitrate)...no my D5000s (which are absolutely divine with most music, MP3 or CD) are simply sibilant to death with Youtube videos of television shows, I was watching some episodes of Gordon Ramsay's Great escape in India and wow, the sound is horrible.

Mar 13, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #14 of 46
Life.  Life gets in the way constantly.  Demanding job, kids, soon to be ex-wife (double credit on that one), new romantic interest (why do women always insist that you take off the headphones to listen? I can hear.  I promise-ish.), friends, house, car...all have needs.  If only my mother would let me move into the basement and throw food down twice a day, I could give up these worldly burdens.  I could lose myself forever in Headphones, Head-Fi and High resolution audio.  Well, at least until American Express finds me.  Which may not take long if they follow the caravan of UPS trucks bearing headphones from Amazon.

Mar 13, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #15 of 46

Quote:
Life.  Life gets in the way constantly.  Demanding job, kids, soon to be ex-wife (double credit on that one), new romantic interest (why do women always insist that you take off the headphones to listen? I can hear.  I promise-ish.), friends, house, car...all have needs.  If only my mother would let me move into the basement and throw food down twice a day, I could give up these worldly burdens.  I could lose myself forever in Headphones, Head-Fi and High resolution audio.  Well, at least until American Express finds me.  Which may not take long if they follow the caravan of UPS trucks bearing headphones from Amazon.

Room for one more in your parents' basement? I'll bring funnions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back