What is the sound quality of iPhone, iPad, iPod (Touch)?
Feb 8, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #602 of 865
Perfect. I'd suggest using the line out from the iPhone and 5s rather than the headphone out. That would reduce another variable you don't want influencing the test.

Feb 8, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #603 of 865
Perfect. I'd suggest using the line out from the iPhone and 5s rather than the headphone out. That would reduce another variable you don't want influencing the test.
I use line out from the 5s with a third party cable which incorporates the CCK.

Feb 8, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #604 of 865
You’re set!

Feb 9, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #605 of 865
BTW. The only spec for the K10 that Noble ever released that I am aware of is that they are "less than 32ohm" impedance. I don't know why they are so cagey.

Feb 9, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #606 of 865
Not sure how you're going to level match using a streaming source. It may take you a long time to get that balanced, and you're not going to be precise, but it should be good enough to hear night and day differences at least.

Feb 9, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #607 of 865
Not sure how you're going to level match using a streaming source. It may take you a long time to get that balanced, and you're not going to be precise, but it should be good enough to hear night and day differences at least.
Perfect level matching isn't that important....if you can be honest with yourself.....ask me how i know lol:)

Feb 10, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #608 of 865
I've been thrown off on quickie tests by level differences.

OK. I'll bite. How do you know?

Feb 10, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #609 of 865
I've been thrown off on quickie tests by level differences.

OK. I'll bite. How do you know?
When i came in here about a year ago,i was looking to upgrade my very expensive digital front end.After lurking here for a while, i tested what i had against a Cambridge CXU bluray player.I was heavily biased against the Cambridge (i do love big,shiny heavy audio gear).I just used a cheapie spl meter and my ears and even with my want to find fault with the Cambridge ..i could hear no difference after weeks of trying with headphones and speakers.So not a quickie test,but i didn't find (reasonably close)level matching to be an issue.Btw made a bundle selling my old setup:)

Feb 10, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #610 of 865
It sounds like you did pretty accurate level matching. Here we're talking about not using an SPL meter and matching by ear using music, not tones. That is more difficult. Not impossible, but it would take quite a while of noodling and several rounds of tests and rematching levels probably.

Feb 16, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #611 of 865
Well. I just left my friend after an afternoon of testing and listening. We can confidently say that there is no useful difference in sound between the iPhone and the Mojo. We mainly ended up using the Sennheiser 600's as we could both listen to them. Straight out of the phone the phones volume was at maximum. Even then. Once the level of the Mojo was the same. No difference. A little more volume with the 600's might be useful. A simple amp would provide that. All decent DAC's sound the same. Including the iPhone dongle. A very enlightening afternoon. Thanks Bishot and Castleofargh.

Feb 16, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #612 of 865
Well. I just left my friend after an afternoon of testing and listening. We can confidently say that there is no useful difference in sound between the iPhone and the Mojo. We mainly ended up using the Sennheiser 600's as we could both listen to them. Straight out of the phone the phones volume was at maximum. Even then. Once the level of the Mojo was the same. No difference. A little more volume with the 600's might be useful. A simple amp would provide that. All decent DAC's sound the same. Including the iPhone dongle. A very enlightening afternoon. Thanks Bishot and Castleofargh.

Compliments on taking the time and effort to investigate this. Nothing beats hands on testing and in most cases, it doesn't require a huge amount of gear, just good methodology.

Feb 16, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #614 of 865
Congratulations to you! I can’t tell you how many people come into Sound Science and argue points like this with us without going to the trouble of testing it themselves. You are the first person I can think of in recent memory who has done that. That’s the same thinking process that we all went through when we started here. You’re now an official member of Sound Science! Welcome!

Feb 16, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #615 of 865
Thank you Bigshot. It was your calm persistence that convinced me to try a test. I've posted the outcome in a couple of places. I await getting shot down for DBT. It is extraordinary how much people want to believe what they want to believe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back