What is the sound quality of iPhone, iPad, iPod (Touch)?
Feb 5, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #571 of 865
You will need some sort of headphone amp for IEMs and HD800s for the output from the iPhone. The impedance is pretty sure to be a mismatch. Do you have a headphone amp you can use?

Feb 5, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #572 of 865
You will need some sort of headphone amp for IEMs and HD800s for the output from the iPhone. The impedance is pretty sure to be a mismatch. Do you have a headphone amp you can use?

Out of curiosity, what is/are the audible effect/ of an impedance mismatch? I've probably heard them before but ever really paid attention enough to diagnose as such.

Feb 5, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #573 of 865
I was intending to use the Mojo alone with the iems as that is how I listen. I have an O2. HD600's not 800's BTW.

Feb 5, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #574 of 865
The mojo would be fine. It has an amp built in, right? The direct output from the iPhone would require amping.

Feb 5, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #575 of 865
Out of curiosity, what is/are the audible effect/ of an impedance mismatch? I've probably heard them before but ever really paid attention enough to diagnose as such.

Here is some great information about impedance with regards to headphones and amps. (the link may not stay for long if this site still has it in for this blogger)

https://preview.tinyurl.com/bp7crrr

Feb 5, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #576 of 865
The mojo would be fine. It has an amp built in, right? The direct output from the iPhone would require amping.
The Mojo doesn't actually have an amp section. It takes the output directly from the DAC. I should amp both the Ciem's and the 600's from the iPhone?

Feb 5, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #577 of 865
Feb 5, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #578 of 865
as regards Bigshots test; I was convinced I could hear a difference between the audio formats, I did spend a good 45 - 50 minutes on it. Then I realised that his test was flawed because the audio samples where themselves contained within an audio sample (Flac), instead of being separate files.

That isn't true at all and you know it. You turned in your results and they were randomly distributed because you misunderstood the instructions. When you change your story now to try to make your failure my fault, it tips your hand. A lossy file contained in a lossless file sounds exactly like the original lossy file. I put it in the lossless file so you couldn't peep at the data rate by doing a get info on the file. This makes it impossible to rank all the files without actually listening to them and discerning the quality by ear. You intended to cheat the test and you found out you couldn't. Now you're trying to blame it on me.

You spend 40 minutes on the test? The test file itself has a longer running time than that. You're admitting you didn't even listen to the whole file. Ha ha.

NEXT!!

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #579 of 865
[/QUOTE]
That isn't true at all and you know it. You turned in your results and they were randomly distributed because you misunderstood the instructions. When you change your story now to try to make your failure my fault, it tips your hand. A lossy file contained in a lossless file sounds exactly like the original lossy file. I put it in the lossless file so you couldn't peep at the data rate by doing a get info on the file. This makes it impossible to rank all the files without actually listening to them and discerning the quality by ear. You intended to cheat the test and you found out you couldn't. Now you're trying to blame it on me.

You spend 40 minutes on the test? The test file itself has a longer running time than that. You're admitting you didn't even listen to the whole file. Ha ha.

NEXT!!

What are you a child? Get..a..life.
Your test was flawed. Who in the right mind would do that? you my friend, are a complete nutjob and are an insult to my intelligence.
I refuse to entertain you! continue your rants! I won't be listening to you any longer.

Feb 5, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #580 of 865
BUH BYE!!!

Feb 5, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #581 of 865
Is this what you have? If so, this is a DAC and amp in one.
https://www.audiolab.com/chord-mojo...z4V5WaAp3U4YjT0LFhTeZG4oJw8nJN9QaAvlJEALw_wcB

You would need an amp for the iPhone too to compare apples to apples so to speak.
Yes. That's the Mojo. This is Relic's post which mentions the output of Mojo.
Chord and Rob have confirmed many times that the line out mode is simply a digital volume preset, nothing is bypassed. Rob has also confirmed that the 'amp' is basically just the analogue stage of the DAC, you can't seperate the sound from the DAC from the analogue stage in the Mojo. There is no traditional seperate 'amp' section and that's how Rob designs all his current DACs.

Feb 5, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #582 of 865
Yes, the Mojo has impedance that will work with your IEMs and full size cans. The iPhone's headphone output is designed for portable headphones, so you'll need to amp the output of the phone to get the proper impedance for your IEMs and headphones. Ideally, you would amp from the line out of the phone rather than the headphone out. Then you would have a fairly equal comparison of DAC to DAC.

Feb 5, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #583 of 865
Here is some great information about impedance with regards to headphones and amps. (the link may not stay for long if this site still has it in for this blogger)

https://preview.tinyurl.com/bp7crrr

Thanks for that informative link. So if I read correctly it states that the output impedance of the source(IE: iPod, Galaxy phone, etc) should be no more than 1/8th of the impedance of what that source is driving(headphone, earbud) and preferably less. According to several sites I checked the output impedance of the iPod 6gen Touch is somewhere between 2-4ohms(3.79 specifically acc. to one site which laid out the steps of calculating it).

So that Touch should not have any audible issues driving any of my cans - MDR-7506, HD-280 Pro, DT-880 Pro 250ohm, etc - other than having to crank it up a bit more when listening via the latter-most of those three.

What I was looking more for was descriptions of the effects of impedance mismatch: 'uneven frequency response', 'distortion', etc.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #584 of 865
Volume level, frequency response imbalance and degraded dynamics. I know what you're talking about though... No one seems to give straight answers on this subject. They get sidetracked into details and forget to state the obvious clearly enough.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #585 of 865
Volume level, frequency response imbalance and degraded dynamics. I know what you're talking about though... No one seems to give straight answers on this subject. They get sidetracked into details and forget to state the obvious clearly enough.

I do know that of the three the Beyer I mentioned sounds the most transparent, perhaps because I have to set the volume much higher to reach my comfort level compared to what I set it for the other two cans I mentioned. Or is it because the Beyer is a higher quality headphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back