What is the sound quality of iPhone, iPad, iPod (Touch)?
Sep 4, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #856 of 865
Ordered an ipad 2020 10,2 from the outlet :) hope it sounds good.
220$ with VAT,freight and full warranty

Sep 5, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #857 of 865
Doing some reaserch:
Ipad5:
Apple 343S00144-A0 and 338S1213 power management and audio codec respectively

Ipad 6:
Cirrus Logic CS42L83A low power audio codec
Whats best?
I have a 6th gen iPad and the headphone out on it is at least the loudest of any Apple devices with headphone out I currently own to compare. I have an iPad 6th generation, iPhone 6s, iPod 5.5, iPod 6th generation. I personally think it sounds the best as well, but that’s partially subjective and also because I tend to use Koss porta pro 60ohm and all the Koss variants built around the porta pro drivers with them. The extra power helps those a lot. If your looking for a bit more power then the Apple dongle and want high res, then the Fiio KA1 is probably the most simple and the most economical option I am aware of. I use that more then anything because of the extra bit of power. It’s not much of a boost but again it helps my Koss phones. Still though it’s $50.00 compared to $10.00.

EDIT: I was also curious if the DAC/ amp from the Apple lightning EarPods was better then the Apple adapter. So I butchered a pair and soldered them onto my sporta pros. They are much quieter. I then picked up some $15.00 MFi certified lighting earphones from Office Depot and butchered those and soldered them onto the sporta pros. The MFi is supposed to use the Cirrus logic chips. Those sounded pretty much the same to me as the official Apple lighting dongle. As a bonus I now have some sporta pros with a built in lightning cable and working microphone and controls. I take those or my airpod pros when I’m out and about.

https://majorhifi.com/cirrus-apple-lightning-jack/

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #859 of 865
Something wrong with it if it distorts. You input level might be too high.

Sep 6, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #860 of 865
I have a 6th gen iPad and the headphone out on it is at least the loudest of any Apple devices with headphone out I currently own to compare. I have an iPad 6th generation, iPhone 6s, iPod 5.5, iPod 6th generation. I personally think it sounds the best as well, but that’s partially subjective and also because I tend to use Koss porta pro 60ohm and all the Koss variants built around the porta pro drivers with them. The extra power helps those a lot. If your looking for a bit more power then the Apple dongle and want high res, then the Fiio KA1 is probably the most simple and the most economical option I am aware of. I use that more then anything because of the extra bit of power. It’s not much of a boost but again it helps my Koss phones. Still though it’s $50.00 compared to $10.00.

EDIT: I was also curious if the DAC/ amp from the Apple lightning EarPods was better then the Apple adapter. So I butchered a pair and soldered them onto my sporta pros. They are much quieter. I then picked up some $15.00 MFi certified lighting earphones from Office Depot and butchered those and soldered them onto the sporta pros. The MFi is supposed to use the Cirrus logic chips. Those sounded pretty much the same to me as the official Apple lighting dongle. As a bonus I now have some sporta pros with a built in lightning cable and working microphone and controls. I take those or my airpod pros when I’m out and about.

https://majorhifi.com/cirrus-apple-lightning-jack/
Thanks.important info for all of us.
When useing ipad instead of an apple dongle. I need less volume.so I bought an ipad.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #862 of 865
I think it’s made wrong. It shouldn’t distort.

Sep 24, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #863 of 865
Stupid dog

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Oct 8, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #864 of 865
That's likely because of the preamp rather than the DAC. Your headphones may just require amping to sound their best.
I don’t use headphones and the DAC is in the P6.

Dec 5, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #865 of 865
Ordered an ipad 2020 10,2 from the outlet :) hope it sounds good.
220$ with VAT,freight and full warranty
Tested it with my T1 G3 some hours now. Great sound and enough power/volume. Don’t need an amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back