What is the most comfortable headphone under 250$ ?
Aug 17, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #31 of 46

Quote:
Here is my 2 cents, based either on personal experience with a product I've owned or on extended auditioning.

Beyerdynamic DT990 - Extremely comfortable, most comfortable can I've ever owned/auditioned. My big ears rest comfortably within their massive chambers without touching anything.
Sennheiser HD598 - I think they could be very comfortable for some people but for me, the ear-shaped cushions dont fit my ears too well and this produces discomfort after about 30 minutes
Shure SRH940 - Same problem as with the Sennheiser but even more painful since the earcups are slightly smaller. For me, these are a supra-aural can.
Audio Technica ATH-AD900 - I just couldn't get used to their design, with how they 'float' on my head instead of clamping like most traditional headphones. I think if you can get used to this unorthodox fit, they should be very comfortable since they are light and don't put any pressure on the ears.
Grado SR225i - I liked the sound but found the comfort to be the most appaling amongst any headphone I tried. Ever.

Thank you very much for the complet feedback !
Sorry but i don't understand your comment about the Grado SR225i, my English is terrible.
For now, i'm very interested by the AD900 and the Beyerdynamic DT880/990 (?)
Apparently, the DT990 would be low too deep and made ​​an overall less natural than the DT880? However, the DT990 would be more comfortable.
I felt exactly the same as you about the HD598. This choice may be difficult. Unfortunately, purchase and return is the only solution.

Help me.

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #34 of 46
I could wear my Beyer DT880's all day.  And LISTEN to them all day, too.... they are good sounding.  I have other headphones, too.... but the Beyer are the most comfy.  Easy to drive, too, any decent amp will do.

Note: Beyers not shown, they were in another room....

Aug 17, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #35 of 46
I meant that the Grados were extremely uncomfortable for me. You will find that Grado comfort is polarizing - some people find them very comfortable and other can't stand them.

The DT880 and DT990 are nearly the same headphone, their comfort will be nearly identical, so choose the one that sounds best to you.

Quote:
Thank you very much for the complet feedback !
Sorry but i don't understand your comment about the Grado SR225i, my English is terrible.
For now, i'm very interested by the AD900 and the Beyerdynamic DT880/990 (?)
Apparently, the DT990 would be low too deep and made ​​an overall less natural than the DT880? However, the DT990 would be more comfortable.
I felt exactly the same as you about the HD598. This choice may be difficult. Unfortunately, purchase and return is the only solution.

Help me.

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #36 of 46
Quote:
I could wear my Beyer DT880's all day.  And LISTEN to them all day, too.... they are good sounding.  I have other headphones, too.... but the Beyer are the most comfy.  Easy to drive, too, any decent amp will do.

Likewise I wear my 880s all day, even when the music stops I'll find them on my head 10 minutes later.

When you say  they're easy to power, I wouldn't consider the 600 Ohm version all that. If you do have the 600s what's your favorite amp for them?

Aug 17, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #38 of 46

Quote:

Note: Beyers not shown, they were in another room....

What about the Sennheiser HD800 comfort ? Your personnal feedback :p

Aug 17, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #39 of 46
I own the Audio Technica ATH-AD700s, they rest very lightly on the head and have almost no clamping force from the ear pads.
Makes you think they could slide off any time, but they don't.
The AD700s are great for easy long term listening to music and movies, you hear the light bass, but not feel the bass.
And as they are very open, you hear everything that is going on around you.
I'm guess the ATH-AD900 would sound better in every way over the AD700s
My Beyerdynamic's DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm are loaded with bass, for when you want to hear the full thump and bring sounds to life.

I would say save some money and get the Superlux HD-668Bs, they are 56-Ohm which should work fine with the Xonar DS
To improve the sound on any headphone, you can order a single tube headphone amplifier of eBay, prices start around $50, they ship from China.

Aug 17, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #40 of 46

Quote:
I would say save some money and get the Superlux HD-668Bs

Heya,

We should really re-name you to "HD-668B Lobbyist".
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
2005 premium version DT770, DT880 and DT990 have the same build, same comfort for sure ?

I only noticed a difference in comfort between the Pro & Premiums. The Pro's were tighter, gripped more. The Premiums were looser. Otherwise, felt pretty much the same to me.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back