What is monstercables most popular interconnect?
Oct 1, 2003 at 4:34 AM Post #46 of 153
The last time I was in Harvey Electronic, on Route 17, and asked for an IC they show me a panel on the back, they only carry monster, of course not the same models as Best Buys, and when I asked why, they simply stated that they have tried a lot ot other brands costing twice as much, and none of them outperformed the monsters.....that is what they say....not me....of course I didn't get any, and run away....but what is the truth behind this, are always all of them lying??? What for? Do they get more profits on them? They sell pretty good expensive stuff there, not only cables....Are they ignorants, or rippers?
On the way back I stoped in the High End Corner, on route 17, other high end store, and what I saw there, IXO and monster again, the same question, and the same answer again....
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Oct 1, 2003 at 2:47 PM Post #48 of 153
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
The last time I was in Harvey Electronic, on Route 17, and asked for an IC they show me a panel on the back, they only carry monster, of course not the same models as Best Buys, and when I asked why, they simply stated that they have tried a lot ot other brands costing twice as much, and none of them outperformed the monsters.....that is what they say....not me....of course I didn't get any, and run away....but what is the truth behind this, are always all of them lying??? What for? Do they get more profits on them? They sell pretty good expensive stuff there, not only cables....Are they ignorants, or rippers?
On the way back I stoped in the High End Corner, on route 17, other high end store, and what I saw there, IXO and monster again, the same question, and the same answer again....
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

My dealer recommened monster too. I told him I did not want to spend more that 50-70 dollars for a meter pair and he told me to get the m550i. I asked him about a couple of other brands at the same price and he still recemmended the monsters. I don't think it's a lie. I think the common factor is that many feel that the monsters have a warmer sound that smooths things out at the top frequencies.

Oct 1, 2003 at 2:52 PM Post #49 of 153
Quote:

Originally posted by bcwang
strange, my 400 mkII cables come with a metal screwed on connector shell, not plastic.

They may have change the connector shells. I've seen them just recently at bestbuy and they did have a different finish on the shells. The ones I have are older and they have plastic shells. But I will tell you this: They still are nice cables, plastic shell or not.

Oct 1, 2003 at 3:20 PM Post #50 of 153
Quote:

Originally posted by Tom M
magic: on the z100 interconnects what is the color coded jacket made from? I'm refering to the piece that is able to be unscrewed from the gold pin. On the 400mkii, these are plastic with metal plated gold for the pin and turbine. On the M series(the 550i for example) they are made from some sort of metal with a gun metal finish. The pins and turbine are still the same gold plated metal as the 400's. I think I like the connectors being all metal. It seems to add to the quality a bit.

Tom,

The piece you are talking about is definitely metal on the Z100i and seems to be very durable. The Z100i has also a 12-Cut Turbine connector and the 400MkII's have an 8-Cut Turbine. The connection on the 12-Cut is very solid.

Oct 1, 2003 at 3:39 PM Post #51 of 153
Quote:

Originally posted by Magic77
Tom,

The piece you are talking about is definitely metal on the Z100i and seems to be very durable. The Z100i has also a 12-Cut Turbine connector and the 400MkII's have an 8-Cut Turbine. The connection on the 12-Cut is very solid.

Hmmm I wonder what makes the difference between the z100i and something like the M950i. One cable (the z100i) is from the core product line. The other cable( the M950i) is from the M-series.

Oct 1, 2003 at 4:22 PM Post #53 of 153
Quote:

Originally posted by SuperGiraffe
I'm thinking of selling a 1-m length of M850i I have had lying around for about six months. Very warm, smooth, dynamic cable. Check in the for sale section if interested.

Why are you selling them?

Oct 1, 2003 at 4:24 PM Post #54 of 153
Quote:

Originally posted by Tom M
Hmmm I wonder what makes the difference between the z100i and something like the M950i. One cable (the z100i) is from the core product line. The other cable( the M950i) is from the M-series.

Tom,

Funny you asked this: I had e-mailed Monster about a year ago asking about the same thing. The Monster rep told me that the Z100i and M950i were actually the same cable. I beleive the only difference was a cosmetic one, or something that had no effect on one sounding superior to the other. I think both cables cost exactly the same also.

Oct 1, 2003 at 4:36 PM Post #56 of 153
Selling the cables because I upgraded to WireWorld Polaris III+ for that application (SACD player to Preamp). I still use several lengths of M850i for other sources and applications in my system. They've just been lying around the past several months while I tried to come up with some application for them, so I thought I might as well sell them.

Oct 1, 2003 at 7:38 PM Post #58 of 153
I have not heard either in a direct comparison to M850i in my system. I believe that the M550i is essentially the same as the Interlink 400, but with improved cosmetics; the M950i is very similar to, of not the same as, both the Interlink Reference and the Z-100. I have heard both the M850i and the M950i, though. The M950 seems quite similar to the M850, but not quite as warm, and with better detail in the upper midrange -- better with female vocals. The M550 is not necessarily "colder" sounding, but seems to lack a little bit of weight that the two more expensive cables have; its just missing a little bit of something, and the highs aren't quite as refined and clean. I found I got pretty good results in my system with Interlink CD, but that cable, though quite cheap and good, can be hard to find. Very close in quality, if not slightly better than the M550i, and only slightly off the M850i.

BTW, I have heard a nice Marantz (SACD source)/Krell (amplification) system running Sonus Faber Cremonas with M950i interconnects and M1.5 speaker cables and it was quite quite nice, I must say.

Oct 2, 2003 at 1:43 AM Post #59 of 153
The line has changed in the last few years, so the cables I tried are not in production. I guess my point was that I don't like all Monster cables, but I know they aren't all bad cables. Some are very good, and compete with anything out there. But don't expect a more exspensive cable to make an huge differance in your system. The law of diminishing returns applies to cables.

Oct 2, 2003 at 4:24 AM Post #60 of 153
Quote:

Originally posted by SuperGiraffe
I have not heard either in a direct comparison to M850i in my system. I believe that the M550i is essentially the same as the Interlink 400, but with improved cosmetics; the M950i is very similar to, of not the same as, both the Interlink Reference and the Z-100. I have heard both the M850i and the M950i, though. The M950 seems quite similar to the M850, but not quite as warm, and with better detail in the upper midrange -- better with female vocals. The M550 is not necessarily "colder" sounding, but seems to lack a little bit of weight that the two more expensive cables have; its just missing a little bit of something, and the highs aren't quite as refined and clean. I found I got pretty good results in my system with Interlink CD, but that cable, though quite cheap and good, can be hard to find. Very close in quality, if not slightly better than the M550i, and only slightly off the M850i.

BTW, I have heard a nice Marantz (SACD source)/Krell (amplification) system running Sonus Faber Cremonas with M950i interconnects and M1.5 speaker cables and it was quite quite nice, I must say.

I've tried talking my self into spending the money for the 850 or 950 but I just can't do it. The total cost of my system just isn't high enough to justify the expense. They say you should allow about 10% of the total cost of your system for cables. I would need five pairs for my system. 4 one meter and one two meter length. Total cost would be about $700 for cables. Although my amp and pre amp are over $1000 each, this cost would be more than any single source component in the system. There is the problem, I would have cables that together total more than the cost of my cd player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back