What is monstercables most popular interconnect?
Sep 28, 2003 at 6:38 PM Post #31 of 153
I had the same impressions as ian with the Studiolink 500's i used to own.

Its ironic too. I like almost everything monster cable used to make except for their cables.

Their phono cartridges are quite good, so are their power components.

Sep 29, 2003 at 2:32 AM Post #33 of 153
I used some monster cables for a while before purchasing my outlaw pCA's. After doing so I could tell the monster was rolling off frequencies on many aspects. Kind of like what someone previously described as a "blur". From my experience: I do not reccomend monster cables.

Sep 29, 2003 at 4:17 AM Post #34 of 153
Quote:

Originally posted by Nefarion
I used some monster cables for a while before purchasing my outlaw pCA's. After doing so I could tell the monster was rolling off frequencies on many aspects. Kind of like what someone previously described as a "blur". From my experience: I do not reccomend monster cables.

Is it possible that the outlaws emphisized certain frequencies making those same frequencies seem recessed in the monsters?

Sep 29, 2003 at 2:07 PM Post #36 of 153
Quote:

Is it possible that the outlaws emphisized certain frequencies making those same frequencies seem recessed in the monsters?

Defenitly! Since ive only auditioned two cables... Both of them being "budget" cables. Its highly possible that I am just prefering the sonic signature of the PCA's over the monster.

I have a pair of ZuVarial's (A silver, more high end cable) shipping tomorrow. I should be able to do a better comparison then. I defenitly think the pca's+monsters will be in one "league" while the ZuVarial will be in another... I expect the varials (being silver) to take care of some veil and frequency extension. Although im not sure if im going to be a big silver IC fan because i enjoy the laid back sound in the hd600's... But i really havent had the chance of hearing a more up front sound... So I may really favor the silver.

But from what I remember when comparing the monsters/pca's is that the pca's seemed more clear/clean with less of a signature. But not much cleaner/clearer... Very close. They are both known to have a warm sound... Maybe its just the Monsters are warmer. Some people may prefer that. But from what little experience I have with cables, id have to confirm with others by saying the monsters do seem "low-end".

Sep 29, 2003 at 2:55 PM Post #37 of 153
Quote:

Originally posted by Nefarion
Defenitly! Since ive only auditioned two cables... Both of them being "budget" cables. Its highly possible that I am just prefering the sonic signature of the PCA's over the monster.

I have a pair of ZuVarial's (A silver, more high end cable) shipping tomorrow. I should be able to do a better comparison then. I defenitly think the pca's+monsters will be in one "league" while the ZuVarial will be in another... I expect the varials (being silver) to take care of some veil and frequency extension. Although im not sure if im going to be a big silver IC fan because i enjoy the laid back sound in the hd600's... But i really havent had the chance of hearing a more up front sound... So I may really favor the silver.

But from what I remember when comparing the monsters/pca's is that the pca's seemed more clear/clean with less of a signature. But not much cleaner/clearer... Very close. They are both known to have a warm sound... Maybe its just the Monsters are warmer. Some people may prefer that. But from what little experience I have with cables, id have to confirm with others by saying the monsters do seem "low-end".

yea that might be it. We have two different cables with two different sonics signatures. Let me know what happens after you try the new ones you are getting.

Sep 29, 2003 at 4:24 PM Post #38 of 153
Quote:

Originally posted by Tom M
yea that might be it. We have two different cables with two different sonics signatures. Let me know what happens after you try the new ones you are getting.

Tom,

Don't get yourself too confused. If the Monsters appeal to you, try them out first. You can always return them if you are not satisfied.

Sep 29, 2003 at 11:27 PM Post #39 of 153
The lower end Monsters did tend to slightly roll off the high end in my system. That problem went away when I moved up the ladder to the better cables. The effect is somewhat system dependent, though, so not everyone may exsperience it to the same degree. For comparison- The low end Monster's were slightly worse then the better cables from Radio Shack. This was a few years ago now, so I don't know if the resuslts would be the same, today.

Sep 30, 2003 at 3:21 AM Post #40 of 153
Quote:

Originally posted by Budgie
The lower end Monsters did tend to slightly roll off the high end in my system. That problem went away when I moved up the ladder to the better cables. The effect is somewhat system dependent, though, so not everyone may exsperience it to the same degree. For comparison- The low end Monster's were slightly worse then the better cables from Radio Shack. This was a few years ago now, so I don't know if the resuslts would be the same, today.

Do you remember what lower end monsters you where using? What do you mean by moving up the ladder to better cables? Better monsters or some other cable?

Sep 30, 2003 at 4:20 PM Post #42 of 153
Tom,

I think as far as "moving up the ladder"; This can mean buying a certain brand's "better" line of cables, such as; with Monster: I personally would not get anything in their line below the 400MkII interconnects which are about $40 for a 1M pair.

I think the M550i goes for about $50 for a 1M pair. Right now I'm using the Monster Z100i which was $100 for a .5M pair and $150 for a 1M pair. So; the M550i and Z100i would be considered moving up the ladder as far as Monster goes.

Sep 30, 2003 at 5:16 PM Post #43 of 153
Thanks magic
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2003 at 5:25 PM Post #44 of 153
magic: on the z100 interconnects what is the color coded jacket made from? I'm refering to the piece that is able to be unscrewed from the gold pin. On the 400mkii, these are plastic with metal plated gold for the pin and turbine. On the M series(the 550i for example) they are made from some sort of metal with a gun metal finish. The pins and turbine are still the same gold plated metal as the 400's. I think I like the connectors being all metal. It seems to add to the quality a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back