What is like the IE7, with awesome mids AND a nice warmness, yet with more clarity on bass and treble...
Mar 1, 2011 at 12:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

imackler

Headphoneus Supremus
I am once again really impressed by the mids on the IE7. I did back and forth comparison with the W4 all day yesterday and the mids on the IE7 are really that good; I found them quite comparable and similar. But the bass was nowhere near as tight and the treble was lacking clarity. That being said the IE7 are an excellent earphone, especially at the J & R's recent sale price.

What was surprising was that I preferred jazz on them over the W4. And I think one of the reasons why is that the IE7 has a nice warmness! And I absolutely love it for jazz, even if the bass needs more control and the treble more extension.

So my question is, what is a cheaper iem (under $200 or so) that has great mids, still a nice warmness and yet doesn't sacrifice the control/clarity on bass/treble? The W4 does so much really, really well, but sometimes I like the sound to have a little more atmosphere, to be a little humid, a little more lush. I'm struggling for words here...

Looking for something under $200.

Mar 2, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 12
I'm also a big fan of the IE7 and I would suggest the super fi 5 pro. The mids are forward and it has the warmness together with a large soundstage but it does have tighter bass as compared to the IE7. I got them used for under $100 with all of the accessories.

Mar 3, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #5 of 12
From the descriptions of what you're looking for, the e-Q5 may fit the bill, though I've never heard the IE7 so I can't make any comparisons. The RE262 is worth a look at too as it's one of my favorite mid-centric IEMs that has a unique knack of being warm while still maintaining tons of clarity.

I think the RE262 is the definition of the word lush.

Take a look at ClieOS's new concise IEM thread, the Warm + Sweet department seems to be the type of IEM you describe.

Mar 5, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #7 of 12
Custom 3, EX700, MTP Gold and SM2........

Mar 7, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #8 of 12
I would love to know an upgrade from the ie7. Imackler you seem to relate the w4 to the ie7 in some respects. Would you consider them a similar upgrade? Am consider w4, w3 or ie8.

Mar 8, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #9 of 12
The W4 would be a huge upgrade to the IE7 in every way except the mids, which the IE7 does really remarkably well for an iem that can be found at a third of the price of the W4. Of those three, the W3, IE8 or W4, I'd choose the W4 if you like the mids. But if you like the IE7, and want more controlled bass and extended treble, I'd go for the SE535. That's an excellent iem there! Several have recommended the RE262 as an upgrade from the IE7, but it can't be purchased now unless you can find it used.

Mar 8, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #10 of 12
I have auditioned the 535s at length and dislike the lack of bass quantity. Generally I dislike the Shure sound sig and an concerned that the W4s will be similar in how they present bass. I prefer bass weighted sound sigs but not too heavy. I worry IE8s will be too Bassy. Any thoughts now knowing this?

Mar 8, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #11 of 12
I recommend Westone 3 or UM3x, both have a heavier bass-signature than the W4, but are not as "boomy" as the IE8. The SM3 might be good too, though I haven't heard them yet!

Mar 8, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #12 of 12
I'm going to be receiving my UM3Xs later this week and am going to be comparing them to my IE7s. I'll post my impressions here or on a new thread.

From what I've read though, the UM3X is a pretty balanced iem so it'll be interesting to compare them to the IE7, which is the most balanced out of Sennheiser's IE line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back