What ipod LOD to use, Fiio L1 or L3? to be used with SRH440s and KSC75s
May 18, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 14
Go for L1, cables should not make $12 increase in sound difference, if there is any at all.  KSC75 does not really need an amp, its really has great sound quality the way it is.  If you can, you should return the E5 and get a better amp that does not muddy up the sound.  E5 make the sound worse.  Do you really need an amp for the two headphones?  Their specs look like they can do fine without.  If you want line-out, I would not suggest E5, its really a gimmick than a real amplifier, it makes sound worse.

May 18, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 14
I don't want to invest too much in an amp though... what do you suggest? I heard the SRH440 need amping for better sound

I can always resell my Fiio E5 since it would be BNIB

May 18, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 14
If you know how to use a soldering iron, I would build a CMOY. Can be made for less than $20.  And it should be a real amp, compared to a FiiO 

http://www.jdslabs.com/  

May 18, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #6 of 14
Compare yourself.  Listen to it with the amp and without.  If you are satisfied with the amp, my opinion should not influence you.  Something I've noticed was that I was losing high frequencies(high pitch) sounds, and there was less definition to the sound. I was using an IEM(in ear monitor) though.  Its up to your ears to say if it sounds good or not.

May 28, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #9 of 14
If you haven't gotten the LOD yet, I suggest the L1 over the L3. L1 is smaller and this is its main selling point IMO. The L3 looks gigantic in comparison. I prefer smaller. 

Regarding E5... I like the E5. :D

From my listening, what it does (with bass boost on) is add warmth and low end, widens soundstage slightly, and makes the mids recessed.  I don't listen to it without bass boost (sounds weak and hollow).

May 28, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
If you haven't gotten the LOD yet, I suggest the L1 over the L3. L1 is smaller and this is its main selling point IMO. The L3 looks gigantic in comparison. I prefer smaller. 

Regarding E5... I like the E5. :D

From my listening, what it does (with bass boost on) is add warmth and low end, widens soundstage slightly, and makes the mids recessed.  I don't listen to it without bass boost (sounds weak and hollow).

I have the L1 and have just ordered the L3 - the ipod connector is slightly deeper but the cable is 2 or 3 cm shorter I think

Jun 3, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #11 of 14
I received my L1, I haven't had the time to really use it, and my headphones and amp are still AT LEAST 1 week to 10 days away before I get them :frowning2:

On a side note, my KSC75 are great, withstand abuse, and sound great even on bad sources. And Flac files are so much better than mp3 file :O I have hard time settling for mp3 192kbps, but thats the lowest I listen to know :p my ipod playlist is only 320kbps files, and my pc playlist is mixed between 320kbps and flac and apple lossless and stuff lol

Jul 27, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #13 of 14
I know you have E5 and LOD, but you should really look at the E1. There are comparisons here on head-fi, but basically the E1 has a more refined, transparent, and neutral sound; it provides higher SQ overall. Not only does the E1 have the LOD and amp integrated into 1 piece, it also has an in-line remote, so you can leave your iPod in your pocket to use song control functions like pause, rewind, next song, etc. Also the E1 just feels better build and looks cleaner.

Jul 28, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #14 of 14
The only drawback of the E1 is that it will eat up your iPod's battery faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back