What if you could only have one headphone....or two. What would you choose?
May 15, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #121 of 316
Only one: JH13s.  If I only had one, it would have to be closed, sound great out of a source as mediocre as an iPhone, and scale high with TOTL sources and amplification.  The JH13s pass those tests with flying colors.  Caveat:  I just received the Heir 8.As and feel like they might bump the JH13s out of this spot, but that is much too premature at this point.

2nd:  SR-007 MK1.  I prefer the slightly darker, laid back presentation of these over the SR-009, who's incredible detail retrieval is fatiguing to me.  It's the best headphone I've ever heard, and only doesn't take first billing because it's open and is chained to large amplifiers.

And if I could cheat and keep a 3rd, I'll throw a curve and keep a Yuin PK2, a remarkable little earbud for the quick listening sessions.

May 15, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #122 of 316
hifiman he 6 at home
westone 4 on the go.

I have both and I am very happy. but I would like to have a westone es5 since my westone 4 have died on me recently. I am a truck driver and I can be away from home for more than 7 days at the time and sometimes I have a lot of time to kill when I wait and I have plenty of time to watch movies and listen to music. and I really miss the high quality sound of my stuff at home. so an es5 would be ideal for me. a sort of no compromise. I have a cowon x7 160 gig and all my stuff is wav format. I also have an alo national attached to my cowon x7.

sometimes I am amazed of how good sounding can be a pair of earphones. I think I prefer them to even my full sized cans.

May 16, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #124 of 316
May 16, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #125 of 316
One headphone? My HD 600, without question.

Two? HD 600 and...erm...hmm...that's a tough one.

May 16, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #126 of 316
Quote:
Quote:
First of all, if we're talking about that, then I'd definitely insist on having two.  Having only one just wouldn't be right.  Srsly.

Secondly... Um, wrong thread bro.  Try this one:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/647474/sennheiser-momentum-appreciation-thread

ha ... you are absolutely right about symmetrical importance, just like our baby cans.

by the way, sorry about derailing and thanks for providing the relevant link.

We need two of them for redundancy purposes redundancy purposes. 
wink.gif
  Also, was just messin' around, lol.  Hey BTW, possible SF meet in August, check out my sig. 
smile.gif

May 16, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #127 of 316
Interesting question. What this brings up in my mind is the limitations of any choice. I could answer for one headphone, for example, the SR-009s, but I could only use them at home. If I was to lose home listening time, then as good as they are, there'd be no satisfaction in owning them. 

I have, however, discovered CIEMs (I'm late in this game) and ordered the JH-13s and I have a modded AK100 which I'm pretty pleased with sonically. Those I can use anywhere and have plenty of detail, if some limitations being an IEM (the soundstage, for example). However, I do use Sony XBA-30s very happily and they are "good enough", so higher-quality CIEMs (or maybe the new FitEar Parterre, which has a sound to my tastes) would do it for me for a single pair.

For two, I'd probably still pick the 009s as the second. I wouldn't be lusting after anything and could just enjoy listening when I have the chance. If I was travelling too much to use them, I'd choose the Symphones Magnums, as they sound great out of everything, cheap or expensive.

May 16, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #128 of 316
Right now with a SinglePower mpx3 it would be a pair of Sennheiser HD 800's.

May 19, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #131 of 316
If it could be only two headphones then my Denon D600 (for portable) and HD-650 (for home).  If it was only one then probably my HD-650.

May 19, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #132 of 316
If I could only have one that'd be my modded CD950 or C3k with a Fiio E11. The CD3k has a unique sound signature to it that is far from perfect but despite being over a 2 decade year old headphone no headphones today can mimic that special sound. The CD950 on the other hand + my E11 resembles the sound of my Lambda Pro's.

If I could have 2 headphones, it either being my CD950 or CD3k and my old UE18's which till this day I still sorely miss. 

If I could reduce everything I own restricted to two headphones only that'd be my HD600's and Lambda Pro.

May 19, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #133 of 316
Only one: JH16s. They sound better than any full-size headphone and they offer really good isolation. I use them at home exclusively, but their portability is a plus, I guess.

Any two: JH16s and a spare set of JH16s. If that sounds too extreme, then JH16s and LCD-2s.

Jun 2, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #134 of 316
This post is going to cost me whatever credibility I have but:

One only - Bose IE2  I use this earphone more than all of my others combined. it isn't my best sounding by far but I use it walking around so I can be aware of my surroundings and it is so comfortable that I forget I have them in. Even though I have many much better phones, I have to vote based on actual usage.

two only - IE2 and TF10 (which barely beats out the MDT)

Like I said, I hate this topic. I switch headphones so often. It's like asking "If you could only eat one food every meal for the rest of your life" type question.

Thanks Tyll. Even though I hate confronting my obsession, this has been a thought provoking topic.

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #135 of 316
Quote:

We need two of them for redundancy purposes redundancy purposes. 
wink.gif
  Also, was just messin' around, lol.  Hey BTW, possible SF meet in August, check out my sig. 
smile.gif

Wow Warren - You can say that again!

(Sorry, I can't see the word redundant and not say "you can say that again" - kinda a Pavlov's dogs thing with me...)

One headphone, huh?  I didn't read the rules, but I'll assume I can amp as necessary. One pair - HD650.  They seem to do everything right for me, except isolate.  Two pairs - tough call - might be my mad dogs, might be the 009 or HE6, but I have only meet audition time with the latter two.

Unamped - A pair of scratch proof D7000's for sure.

It always amuses me that the HD800 never makes a favorites list for me.  Again, only meet auditions with this one.  I really need to spend a few hours with the HD800 and the right amp to see if I actually don't like them that much (my current feeling) or if I just have not auditioned them appropriately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back