What if you could only have one headphone....or two. What would you choose?
May 14, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #106 of 316
Quote:
But the can top ciem/iem's compete with top full size opens?

I prefer my JH13s to the HD 800 and T1, and I know I'm not alone in this preference.

This includes the full-size headphones being driven by ToTL gear from EC, SPL, et al.

I would be more inclined to select a full-size open headphone as my secondary choice if I didn't have speakers that I felt bested them in all regards (except, in the case of the HD 800 and top-end Stax, absolute resolution and imaging).

May 14, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #107 of 316
Well initially cIEMs were more of a diminutive convenience thing for stage musicians and I remember Tyll saying that theoretically fullsizes had the potential for better sound quality (but that's where I stopped, not being interested by IEMs myself)... but that's just theoretically, and rightfully so actually. I now realize IEMs might just as well be the epitome of all head-phones, when you think of it, because of facts such as they make one with your tympani (so they are “purer” in that sense, acting like a coupler) and because they offer maximal portability and practicality which is often associated with headphones.

I guess could have given the issue more thought :/

May 14, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #108 of 316
Quote:
Well initially cIEMs were more of a diminutive convenience thing for stage musicians and I remember Tyll saying that theoretically fullsizes had the potential for better sound quality (but that's where I stopped, not being interested by IEMs myself)... but that's just theoretically, and rightfully so actually. I now realize IEMs might just as well be the epitome of all head-phones, when you think of it, because of facts such as they make one with your tympani (so they are “purer” in that sense, acting like a coupler) and because they offer maximal portability and practicality which is often associated with headphones.

I might have spoken too fast :/

beerchug.gif

May 14, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #109 of 316
Then there are those of us who can't stand for anything to be inside our ears. Maybe I watched The Wrath of Kahn too many times when I was a kid.

May 14, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #110 of 316
Quote:
Then there are those of us who can't stand for anything to be inside our ears. Maybe I watched The Wrath of Kahn too many times when I was a kid.

LOL!!
I'm actually willing to try a few IEMs... but I'm just like you, I hate having things in my ears... yuck/yikes :p

May 14, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #111 of 316

So true. I've got a some SE210s which I used exactly once as I just couldn't stand them sticking in my ears. It's possibly the most uncomfortable feeling short of a doctor performing an anal examination on you.

May 14, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #112 of 316
If I could have only one headphone, it would be a Stax SR-007 mk2. I'd prefer it over the SR-009 because I listen and mix/master mostly electronic music, and I think I would prefer a mid-bass hump over absolute flatness.

If I could have two, my second headphone would probably be the Fostex TH900.

May 14, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #116 of 316
Only one: Grado PS1000
Two:         Stax 009

May 15, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #117 of 316
Well I bought a Momentum. Lets see what all the fuss is about :)

Also Tyll, Ive been meaning to ask you why the Fidelio L1 does not get any love from you anymore? 
I feel like ever since it got on the wall of fame, it was never talked about again.On your AMA, the L1s were not even mentioned. 
I know they are of different design (open) but could you compare them to the Momentum and MDR-1? (sorry i know you dont really like comparisons)
Thanks.

oh and the other day, i listened to a pair of apple earbuds for about 30 min and it wasnt too bad 
size]

May 15, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #119 of 316
Since I hadn't had a chance to listen to a good closed can yet, I currently have no choice for an allrounder.
When it comes down to two choices, it would be my Q701 for home and the UE TF10 for on the go use.

May 15, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #120 of 316
Quote:
I'm really surprised that more people aren't concerned with phone headsets. For me that's mandatory, I expected it to be an almost universal requirement by now.

(Love the Momentum, but not if your head or ears are big.)

speaking for myself, when i'm listening to music, i generally don't answer the phone, i'll stop listening, or, just let it go to voice mail.
in another thread today before i knew of this thread, i said between the phones i've had, and have,(not many, i'm new) if i had to choose just one
i think i'd go with the alessandro ms1
sounds stellar when fed well recorded music
sounds good when its fed lesser material

Users who are viewing this thread

Back