What headphones would suit me best?
Nov 10, 2012 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Squalcloud

New Head-Fier
I listen to a range of music and genres. Some examples: Nujabes, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Boards of Canada, Tycho, Marcus D, The Beatles, classical, techno(including varying sub-genres), rock(including varying sub-genres), r&b, soul, rap, hip hop. My Bose around ear headphone's speakers blew, and I am looking for an upgrade. I want them to be comfortable, to good sound quality, and to not be extremely bulky. I prefer around ear, but I am open to on ear if it is comfortable and sounds very good. 

Products I've looked at: Aiaiai TMA-1,Audio-Technica ATH-M50, Shure SRH840, and Sennheisers. 
Most I think I would be willing to spend is $250-300. It needs to be comfortable enough to wear for hours. Also, good customer service, sturdiness, and style are all pluses.

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 7
Ehm, would you like to use them as portables? Because in that case, I would recommend you have a look at the Senn hd 25 Adidas. In terms of style, they are very good looking and they are notorious for their sound quality. I've gotten a few complements when I wear them out :) 
I don't think the TMA-1 would satisfy you for rock or soul due to their dark coloration. The ath-m50 are a very common recommendation but personally I find the cable too bulky and the sound quality lacking. Look into the Beyer dt1350 as well; I have not heard them for myself but they are supposed to be excellent for all genres of music. Have a look at the v-moda m-80's and m-100's as well.
Oh, uh one last thing 
Welcome to Head-fi! Sorry about your wallet 
biggrin.gif

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 7
[COLOR=333333]I listen to a range of music and genres. Some examples: Nujabes, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Boards of Canada, Tycho, Marcus D, The Beatles, classical, techno(including varying sub-genres), rock(including varying sub-genres), r&b, soul, rap, hip hop. My Bose around ear headphone's speakers blew, and I am looking for an upgrade. I want them to be comfortable, to good sound quality, and to not be extremely bulky. I prefer around ear, but I am open to on ear if it is comfortable and sounds very good. [/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]Products I've looked at: Aiaiai TMA-1,Audio-Technica ATH-M50, Shure SRH840, and Sennheisers. [/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]Most I think I would be willing to spend is $250-300. It needs to be comfortable enough to wear for hours. Also, good customer service, sturdiness, and style are all pluses.[/COLOR]

Try looking up the UE6000, Senheiser Momentum, Phiaton MS400 (very very comfy for an on-ear), Creative Aurvana Live (inexpensive but very good heardphones).

the M50 and Shure above are great but the M50 has a 9 foot cable.

All the headhphones I mentioned above are for portable use. i am assuming that is what you are looking for from your description. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Nov 10, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #4 of 7
+1 to the Sennheiser Momentum. Agreement also the UE6000 - sounded quite fun and balanced but has a more 'closed' sound.

I would disagree about the Sennheiser Adidas HD25 - on my ears, I found the sound massively underwhelming for the price. It's quite high up on my list of biggest disappointments... perhaps the ones at the shop were absolute lemons, but there also shouldn't have been any problems with sealing as I've got small ears. 

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #5 of 7
I need some info too, i'm looking to buy my first headphones of high quality sound. I would spend up to 150$ and i'm mostly listening to classical music. Any good headphones out there for me?

Thank you.

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 7
I need some info too, i'm looking to buy my first headphones of high quality sound. I would spend up to 150$ and i'm mostly listening to classical music. Any good headphones out there for me?

Thank you.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op

Hit that link and post your question there. Be sure to include information of what your source is, where you are going to use them (home or portable use), on ear or over ear, and if you need sound isolation or not (look up closed headphone vs open/vented headphone)

Edit: If I had to throw out an immediate answer I would say look at the Sennheiser hd558

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Thank you.

Depends on the purpose. (indoors/outdoors)

For indoors, the absolute 'King of classical' title goes to AKG K501 (semi-vintage) so you'd need to look for a good 2nd hand one which also might need amping. Also I think any K240 variant would also be suitable (and most likely a more suitable price for yourself)
Also if you'd like to get something brand new I really like classical music with any Grado headphone - this is subjective but I prefer to hear all the punchy attack of the instruments rather than a pure liquid experience - this is probably because I am a musician and am more accustomed to the sound of BEING in the orchestra/band rather than sitting in the 10th row listening to it. 

For outdoors it gets a bit more difficult as there aren't many really good closed cans at that price, and my knowledge of closed cans isn't as good as open. I've read a lot of good about the neutrality of the Sony MDR7506 - the smooth bass roll-off in the frequency curve tells me that it should have a more natural and easy-listening sound/timbre which is good for classical. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back