What headphones do YOU usually use when watching movies?
Jun 29, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #16 of 47
loving my 990's with a solid tube amp. gives it that  weight and body and bass definition required in action packed movies ^_^

Jun 29, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #17 of 47
D7000 is on a league of it's own for realising DVD movie soundtracks.  I doubt any can can come close.

Jun 29, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #18 of 47
I've used many of the above mentioned cans, K702, DT880, HD800 but the D5000 has been the most representative of my HT. The HD800 are def better defined with better bass extension and more realistic soundstage and accurate image but they just lack the LFE impact of the D5000 for movies IMO. A good example is the start of Sweeney Todd, that pipe organ should just vibrate your bones.

Astro mixamp - APS V3 D5000

Jun 29, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #19 of 47
Sweeney Todd - what a fantastic movie for gauging HT music performance.
smile_phones.gif

I want to work out a method of implementing closed can DSP crossfeeding to enhance the DVD movie experience.  Crossfeed is a must for closed cans - all open cans have an inherent advantage with it's cross cup in-built crossfeed.  Get this sorted and the D7000 trumps all other cans in soundstaging and bass palpability.

Jun 29, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #20 of 47

Quote:
loving my 990's with a solid tube amp. gives it that  weight and body and bass definition required in action packed movies ^_^

DT990's are amazing with dolby headphone when watching movies. Soundstage and bass is just unbelievable for a $240 can, but too bad i found their treble too grado'ish and over-done for me to appreciate them in music :frowning2:

Jun 29, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #24 of 47

Quote:
what is crossfeed? Isn't it something you have to purchase seperately?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Crossfeed

Other words it blends left and right channel.  Overall I think it usually sounds worse, it sounds diffuse and artifically airy.  And most of the time, it's just an outrageous claim to improve sound... whatever.

And yes I downloaded J R Media junk with ASIO output with crossfeed, and it sounds terrible.  A lot of detail seems to dissappear, the impact bass used to have is lacking, almost as if the what I'm hearing in the right and left channel to be the same, as if I'm listening with mono instead of stereo.  Crap.

I'll stick to Foobar with normal WASAPI output and leave it at that.  For movie watching, MPC HC with FFDshow is more than enough for me, not this bloated JR Crap.

Jun 30, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #28 of 47
Quote:
It's like trying to color inside the lines. Stray too far outside the lines, and you end up coloring off the page. But then that's usually fun too... lol. 

Ooooo I like this one. See me quote it multiple times in the future 
tongue.gif

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #29 of 47
I really liked RS1 for movies. Didn't really matter the source or amp used, but I did use it with D10. I think it sounded the best with movies especially the timbre and everything, like speakers but more intimate. Preferred it over HD650, K701, and others for movies. I kinda miss my RS1's.. 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back