What headphones are these?
Jun 20, 2011 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

muad

500+ Head-Fier
They have a relatively flat frequency response. They have a very deep accurate bass. The mids are just right and crystal clear. The highs are present but they don't make me cringe. The soundstage is about medium sized but the seperation is amazing. They are always coherent, and the music rarely blurs together. Instruments sound real, from taiko drums to a piano. Natural is the world that comes to mind when I listen to them....

I've been on head-fi for awhile now, and have tried a few full size and iems. I need a pair of headphones that is pretty much what I described above and near the $200 dollar range. They can be either open or closed. Very important to me is that the bass is tight and goes deep or certain songs just don't sound right. Drums need a little bit of impact and body. The mids should be just right, I find mids very important for vocals but too much upper mids hurts a little. The highs must be present, Cymabals should sound accurate without being piercing. The treble is definitely the least important factor for me. Sound stage doesn't have to be huge, medium is fine. Imaging and seperation are very important. I love being able to hear clearly seperated instruments and vocals. I can't stand congested music. It is pretty much the definition of a bad headphone to me. Average detail is fine, a little smoothness goes along way to creating a natural sound. 

I generally love "indy" rock that use acoustic instruments. Very little hiphop and techno and quite a few classic rock songs sum up my repertoire. Heres a short list of a few artists that I worship....

Arcade fire
Cold war kids
Regina Spektor
The Beatles (psychadellic)
The National
Daft Punk
Beirut
Alicia Keyes
Florence and the Machine
Solid gold
Vampire weekend

Oh and I'd like to add, I had some K701's I really enjoyed but it gave me pressure headaches at the ear pads :frowning2:

Thanks for reading!

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #2 of 6
HD598

Call up JR and order to get them for $175

Pretty much what you described and very comfy

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 6
^ Yeah I'd second that.... They might need a little amping, but the HD598's should do it...

Jun 21, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #5 of 6
They fixed that with an upgrade, Read the HD598 appreciation thread, the Head-Fi Sennheiser rep explains it..

Jun 21, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #6 of 6
Are there any other recommendations other than the HD598? How would I like the hd600's or Fostex T50rp modded or unmodded? I'm going to try some headphones out in the city this weekend, so any suggestion to help focus my attention would be most welcome! thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back