What headphone is the HD600 just with more bottom end?
May 2, 2011 at 9:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

drandall

Head-Fier
i love my HD600's but they are a bit weak on the low end. i'd like to keep the sound neutral, clear and balanced...just with a bit more authority.

i don't want darker. i don't want a V curve. just a bit more bass. i've heard the fischer FA-003 might be a candidate. any others you gents can think of?

i'd appreciate your insight....

thanks,

d

May 2, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #5 of 16
the LCD2 is also very out of my price range and would probably require a new amp to power it. i have an asgard and i have a little dot mk III....

May 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #6 of 16
I think the closest I've heard is the HD650 (if you want to change headphones). If you want to add bass to your current 600s, get an aftermarket copper cable. Heck, even slapping the HD650 cable onto the 600s adds bass, but it also adds a bit of treble.

I've also read (not personally heard) that your DAC, although great for the price, errs on the cool/lean side of the spectrum. That might be something to look into.

May 2, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
I think the closest I've heard is the HD650 (if you want to change headphones). If you want to add bass to your current 600s, get an aftermarket copper cable. Heck, even slapping the HD650 cable onto the 600s adds bass, but it also adds a bit of treble.

I've also read (not personally heard) that your DAC, although great for the price, errs on the cool/lean side of the spectrum. That might be something to look into.

but even with an aftermarket cable, you can only go as low as the phones are capable of reproducing, right? sennheiser lists the frequency response of the HD600 as being 12-39k. right now, i'm using the HD650 cable. interestingly, with the little dot, i prefer the stock cable but with the asgard, i think i prefer the 650 cable.

May 2, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
I would disagree, since the mids between the LCD-2 and the HD650 don't sound anything alike (LCD-2's mids are more recessed and relaxed), and the HD650's treble is also slightly more prominent.

Well, OP has the hd600 not hd650. I own both and find the sound signatures to be very similar. Of course there are going to be differences, but I definitely don't find the mids to be recessed compared to my hd600, and the bass is awesome. Of course it is moot since the OP stated it is out of his price range.

Quote:
but even with an aftermarket cable, you can only go as low as the phones are capable of reproducing, right? sennheiser lists the frequency response of the HD600 as being 12-39k. right now, i'm using the HD650 cable. interestingly, with the little dot, i prefer the stock cable but with the asgard, i think i prefer the 650 cable.

Well I think those ratings are rather optimistic, since you really can't hear anything below 20-30 Hz. If you are just looking for some bass boost without spending much (or anything) I would definitely recommend trying to EQ the bass up a little. Giving the HD650 drivers a try is another good option on the cheap, there is a thread somewhere (DIY section maybe?) called something like frankenphones where someone basically completely rebuilt a set of Senns (580s?) with replacement parts into 650s. Sorry I don't remember too many details but if you do some searching I bet you can find it.

May 2, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #12 of 16
HD650 is the obvious choice, EQ your HD600s is the free option. If you EQ correctly by turning everything else down apart from the bass it will appear darker.

A tube powered 600ohm DT880 has much more impact than the HD600 and remains quite neutral and bright.

May 2, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #13 of 16

Quote:

Correct. But, you asked for something that will add more bass to the headphones, not increase its low-end extension.

Don't pay too much attention to frequency response ranges provided by manufacturers. Our range of hearing is approximately 20Hz to 20,000Hz. What you are looking for is a boost in the frequency ranges between 20Hz and about 150Hz, as per your OP.

May 2, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #14 of 16
I find that the bass on my HD600 tightens up with a powerful & neutral SS amp.  Likewise, the treble detail & extension is improved.  In short, I find that tubes play to HD600's weaknesses & that they are work well with a good SS amp.  You might experiment with a stereo amplifier to see if there is an improvement over your tube amp.

May 3, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #15 of 16
The LCD-2 actually requires less juice than the HD650, at least with my gears.

To hear how the LCD-2's mids are a bit recessed, simply play music with lots of distorted guitars with a lot of bite, or orchestral, funk, or big band/jazz with lots of punchy brass instruments. Now, A/B those tracks between the LCD-2 and the HD650. Pretty obvious, isn't it?

I think the worst thing anyone can do when it comes to throwing money away needlessly is to buy fancy cables or boutique DAC and amps while hoping to use them as some kind of fixed EQ remedies. IMO, that's being an audiofool instead of an audiophile, since it's counter-intuitive and unpredictable. If you want to alter the frequency response in a significant way, just learn how to use parametric EQ's (hardware of software), as long as your headphone's drivers can handle the range your are altering without distortion. If any cable, DAC, or amp is altering the frequency response significantly, then it is actually a bad thing, because these devices are supposed to be perfect flat.

As for the HD600 vs. HD650, I had the HD600 and found the sub-bass to be a bit less than satisfying, and got the HD650 instead, but even with the HD650, it's still not quite authoritative enough.

Have you ever heard the M50? While it's a lot cheaper, some people prefer it over the HD6XX series. It definitely has plenty of sub-bass, although the bass overall is a bit more prominent than neutral (but not grossly so, like some of the ridiculous hip-hop headphones). The lower mids are a bit more lush than the HD6xx, and the treble is a bit etched, but otherwise, it's actually damn good for such a low price. The soundstage is smaller, but if you use something like the Isone Pro, then it really doesn't matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back