What Happened to Head-Fi? (Rant)
Jun 18, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #182 of 244

I know this isn't relevant to the thread, but could you explain what you mean by this? I don't get it. 

I mean that everybody needs to let loose in their teenage years and learn to grow up through the experience of bad decisions. They're what helps you mature into a well-rounded adult in my opinion.

Hmm. That must be why I've always been considered a square. I'm just not well rounded enough.
tongue.gif

I mean that everybody needs to let loose in their teenage years and learn to grow up through the experience of bad decisions. They're what helps you mature into a well-rounded adult in my opinion.

.oops - too many beers, go the blues!!!

And here I thought Head-Fi was the one place I could safely escape alcohol and football references.  

Jun 19, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #183 of 244
No need to take it personally, I just meant it in the general sense.

Jun 19, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #184 of 244

New members get a long (maybe too long) welcome message guiding them on how to use Head-Fi. It includes pointing them to the posting guidelines. If you look in the Introductions, Help and Recommendations forum, you'll see very detailed first posts from new members quite often now. So to answer your question: They are encouraged to think from the very start.

The second thing I've done was encourage people to click on the "thumbs up" button on good posts. Rather than focus on the bad posts, focussing on the good posts, where people get an email saying "X gave you reputation for your post" I thought was better. 
smile.gif

I agree with what is being said.  Focusing on the positive aspects instead of dwelling too deeply in the negative.  I think we could do better especially when dealing with obvious troll posts, as they say, don't feed the trolls...which is actually not as easily done than said at times!

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #186 of 244
What does FOTM stand for. And while I'm on the subject, other than IMHO and IMO, most of us don't know the "code speak" used around hear. Please don't use it or, if it really adds to the discussion, spell it out. 

Dec 21, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #187 of 244
^ Nice thread necro. To answer your question, FotM = Flavor of the Month (recently hyped product). IMHO = in my honest opinion. IMO = in my opinion.

This was actually a good read and I agree with the OP. There many posters here who just like to hear themselves talk (write), love to argue with random people they don't know at all, and want to amass a large post count in order to have that "Headphoneus Supremus" tag... as if having that tag actually means their opinions are more valid than a lowly "100+ Head-Fi'er."

I've been here on head-fi for over 2 years and have lurked around many more. I try my best to limit my posts and opinions only to items I've personally owned and have used for a good amount of time. If my experience with an item isn't adequate, I try my best to qualify my opinions to let people know that my opinion might not be the most accurate.

That is why I always take what people say on this forum with a large grain of salt, just like all forums on the Internet. 

Dec 21, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #188 of 244
  What does FOTM stand for. And while I'm on the subject, other than IMHO and IMO, most of us don't know the "code speak" used around hear. Please don't use it or, if it really adds to the discussion, spell it out

Really ......

2 second search with Google and you'd know exactly what it was. It's also pretty commonly used on these forums.  Easier comment would be to just ask what it meant.  Pretty helpful bunch here (see post above mine).  You'll get your answer in no time at all 
smile.gif

Dec 21, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #189 of 244
I think that if it is clearly stated up front before saying anything else that the information you are passing on is the opinion of someone else it is okay. It is not possible for an individual to have fully experienced every set of headphones in existence. Most recommendations given by people about anything is partially or in full word-of-mouth. If someone buys a product based on a review that is also word of mouth. The problem here is the lack of clarity between personal experience and reputation.

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #190 of 244
I'm constantly finding myself involved in discussions where the bulk of the participants not only do not own the product in question, they obviously never heard it. Third-hand information regurgitated, as passed through a noob filter. Who benefits? Certainly not the OP. Then, they argue. Unbelievable. I've been involved with audio forums for almost 20 years and this is the worst I've seen.This being said, the OP does have a responsibility to see who he's talking to, instead of lazily counting votes.

On a personal note, I'd really like to see a member's age displayed. I'm 51, [literally] built my first system before hitting my teens, worked in the industry, blah, blah, blah, and I find myself talking to someone barely old enough to drive. What possible common ground - even linguistically - can there be? I'd much rather avoid such interaction, altogether, and knowing one's age is a good first step.

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #191 of 244
I really don't see a problem in people recommending headphones they don't own as long as they clearly say they don't own them and refer to the headphones via links to reviews, grouptests and quotes.
And since everyone knows this hobby is mainly subjective and you can only trust your own ears it is clear you are responsible for the choice of headphones you buy. No one, not even the most experienced member can guide you completely safe to your ideal headphones.

That said, I am getting tired as well of the hype waves on this forum, as mentioned in this thread and the obnoxious word choice like "headphones A blow headphones B out of the water"
And it appears to me people don't allow themselves to form their own opnions and don't let their preferences in sound develop by listening, but rather by reading how good headphones should sound.
To me naturalness is the most important thing about listening to music. And to my ears a slight recessed midrange sounds in many cases more natural than a flat response or forward mids. Headphones with a slight recessed midrange are generally regarded as inferior on this forum. They are at best regarded as fun headphones. And when a certain type of headphones gets an update and the mids are more upfront it automatically is seen as an improvement. 
I maybe wrong, but I suspect many people on this forum dislike a recessed midrange because they are told so.

Dec 21, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #192 of 244
On a personal note, I'd really like to see a member's age displayed. I'm 51, [literally] built my first system before hitting my teens, worked in the industry, blah, blah, blah, and I find myself talking to someone barely old enough to drive. What possible common ground - even linguistically - can there be? I'd much rather avoid such interaction, altogether, and knowing one's age is a good first step.

This is a very important point, but you haven't mentioned the most important aspect of it: the loss of treble in the older age group. This is obviously going to affect HP choice, and as a 68 year old it will probably surprise no one when I say that I prefer the Beyer DT880 to the Senn HD650. There's simply no point taking anyone's recommendation on a phone when you have no idea of their age or even musical choice. I've bought phones in the past based on overwhelming approval here only to find they sound crap, and that the approvers were all 20 year old rap and trance addicts. Lesson learned.

As for the rest, I have nothing against young people but yes, there is a huge divide, even linguistically, and debating with someone whose brain isn't even properly developed (that happens around 23, in case you were wondering) isn't the most productive activity. So let's encourage people to put age in their profile, and even country, as that's extremely relevant when we're talking prices and availability.

Oh, and under-23s, please don't write angry epistles back at me. I'm well aware that some people's brains never develop, and that others start to deteriorate soon after they reach maturity. In any case, I'm more than happy to debate with any part of your brains that have developed. I just need to see a certificate. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #193 of 244
I'm constantly finding myself involved in discussions where the bulk of the participants not only do not own the product in question, they obviously never heard it. Third-hand information regurgitated, as passed through a noob filter. Who benefits? Certainly not the OP. Then, they argue. Unbelievable. I've been involved with audio forums for almost 20 years and this is the worst I've seen.This being said, the OP does have a responsibility to see who he's talking to, instead of lazily counting votes.

If someone is hyping or trashing a product they don't own, I find that dishonest. I actually made a rule against it. If you find people doing this, please report the posts. Usually it is one or two people, usually kids, who end up overzealous in their efforts to seem knowledgable.

Other than that, to repeat something I've said very often: If people posted the kind of music they are listening to and how loud (roughly) they are listening (quietly, moderate volume or loud is enough IMO) then that will go a long way to clarifying peoples' impressions. Most of it comes down to those two things I've found.

Dec 22, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #194 of 244
I've been on Head-Fi for two years.  The first thing I did was read Currawong's welcome message and got the groundwork done.  Then I started learning by reading threads.  Became immediately obvious I didn't have much to add, at that point.  But over time, I started to post my impressions of gear that I bought and liked.  To help inform other members.  I also PMed members who have the same or similar gear in their inventory.  I have about 250 posts now, after two years.  I don't understand how someone can have 2,000 posts after two years.  BTW, I think Head-Fi is a very organized and well-managed forum.

IMHO,
RCBinTN

Dec 22, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #195 of 244
  What does FOTM stand for. And while I'm on the subject, other than IMHO and IMO, most of us don't know the "code speak" used around hear. Please don't use it or, if it really adds to the discussion, spell it out. 

we use short hand to discuss things for the sake of brevity & efficiency. If you want to participate in the discussion, the burden is on you to look up things you don't understand. That's one of the ways we weed out people who either don't have the attentions span or motivation to want to be here. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back