What Happened to Head-Fi? (Rant)
Dec 23, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #196 of 244

Other than that, to repeat something I've said very often: If people posted the kind of music they are listening to and how loud (roughly) they are listening (quietly, moderate volume or loud is enough IMO) then that will go a long way to clarifying peoples' impressions. Most of it comes down to those two things I've found.

Do you consider age not relevant?

Dec 23, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #197 of 244

Other than that, to repeat something I've said very often: If people posted the kind of music they are listening to and how loud (roughly) they are listening (quietly, moderate volume or loud is enough IMO) then that will go a long way to clarifying peoples' impressions. Most of it comes down to those two things I've found.

Do you consider age not relevant?

I think everything is relevant to some degree, but audio is so complex that at the end of the day music and loudness I reckon cover about 90% of it. With a large number of new members coming in, many of whom don't have the attention span or desire to go into depth, getting down to some kind of fundamentals is important.

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #198 of 244
  I've been on Head-Fi for two years.  The first thing I did was read Currawong's welcome message and got the groundwork done.  Then I started learning by reading threads.  Became immediately obvious I didn't have much to add, at that point.  But over time, I started to post my impressions of gear that I bought and liked.  To help inform other members.  I also PMed members who have the same or similar gear in their inventory.  I have about 250 posts now, after two years.  I don't understand how someone can have 2,000 posts after two years.  BTW, I think Head-Fi is a very organized and well-managed forum.

IMHO,
RCBinTN

LOL...I don't understand how someone can have 2000 posts after a couple of months.     Most of those posts are usually nonesense (usually written by kids...who end up overzealous in their efforts to seem knowledgable  
biggrin.gif
).   New members might read some of those posts and think, "hey, the guy who wrote this is a Headphoneus Supremus, and he must know what he is talking about." 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 23, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #199 of 244

LOL...I don't understand how someone can have 2000 posts after a couple of months.     Most of those posts are usually nonesense (usually written by kids...who end up overzealous in their efforts to seem knowledgable  
biggrin.gif
).   New members might read some of those posts and think, "hey, the guy who wrote this is a Headphoneus Supremus, and he must know what he is talking about." 
rolleyes.gif

I recently got into an argument with someone that has over 2,000 posts in the 10 months he's posted on head-fi. Yup, he averages 200 posts a month, 6.66 posts a day. 

Again, some people love to hear (read) themselves talk (type) and/or want to boost their post count up to get the "Supremus" tag so they can act like they're more knowledgeable, authoritative, and superior than others. It's all about feeding that e-peen (ego). Also shows how they have nothing better to do in their lives than to camp and troll these forums all day, everyday. 

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #200 of 244

biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif

Yeah, that's for sure.  There are certainly both subjective (opinions) and objective (facts / experience) posts on all the threads.  The trick is weeding it out.  Kind of like life itself.  What I like about Head-Fi is that the poster's profile w/ gear, etc. is visible, in addition to the number of posts.  You also have the PM option available to help decide whether a post is credible or not.  It's still fun to read the subjective posts - after all this is a personal and at times emotional hobby.  I love to see people get excited about their new gear and listening experiences.

I also appreciate a thread like this one, where we can openly debate what's wrong with the site and how to improve it.  Improvement is tough and usually takes some reasonable amount of debate between both sides of an opinion.  Well done, Head-Fi.

Dec 23, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #201 of 244

There are certainly both subjective (opinions) and objective (facts / experience) posts on all the threads.  The trick is weeding it out.

These are some of the things I've noticed over the years:

1)  Trust some of the guys who have been here for many years.   Established members have a passion for headphones and there is a good chance they have listened to many models.  IMO, the only way you can determine what is trully good, what is average, and what sucks, is by listening to everything under the sun.  If you only own two cans you might be able to say that A is better than B, but maybe both A and B suck when compared to C.  
2)  Don't trust all of the guys who have been here for many  years.   Some established members just don't know what the hell they are talking about...and some might prefer a sound signature that is not the same as  yours.
3)  Noobs don't really know what they are talking about (because most of them just have not been able to listen to many different models).
4)  Not all noobs are the same.   I've seen some "noobs" join this site who were really knowledgable about stereo\headphone equipment(some of them are guys with really good headphones who finally decided to start posting after years of lurking, or perhaps they had just discovered this site).
5)  Only a handful of the FOTM models are actually outstanding.  Most FOTM are just okay
rolleyes.gif
...and some of them actually suck
eek.gif

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #202 of 244

1)  Trust some of the guys who have been here for many years.   Established members have a passion for headphones and there is a good chance they have listened to many models.  IMO, the only way you can determine what is trully good, what is average, and what sucks, is by listening to everything under the sun.  If you only own two cans you might be able to say that A is better than B, but maybe both A and B suck when compared to C.  
2)  Don't trust all of the guys who have been here for many  years.   Some established members just don't know what the hell they are talking about...and some might prefer a sound signature that is not the same as  yours.
3)  Noobs don't really know what they are talking about (because most of them just have not been able to listen to many different models).
4)  Not all noobs are the same.   I've seen some "noobs" join this site who were really knowledgable about stereo\headphone equipment(some of them are guys with really good headphones who finally decided to start posting after years of lurking, or perhaps they had just discovered this site).
5)  Only a handful of the FOTM models are actually outstanding.  Most FOTM are just okay
rolleyes.gif
...and some of them actually suck
eek.gif

Very well said - thanks for expanding on my thoughts.

I agree with you about the noobs.  Some bring great experience but many, like where I started, do not.  It's always best to read and learn first.  Either way, the noobs are the future of the site and it's valuable for the moderators to correctly welcome them, explain the landscape including how they can add to the site.  Not everyone likes to be trained.  Many just go on and do their own thing, despite any "training" that is provided. Funny how that concept, so real in my manufacturing environment, also applies to a hobby internet site like Head-Fi.

One thing I really hated was the FOTM thread about the Schiit Audio Mjolnir.  There were literally dozens of pages devoted to speculation. But since I was interested in buying that amp (I now have it, and love it), I read through all those pages.  It wasn't a total waste of my time, maybe around 95%.

Currawong - are you taking notes :).

Merry Christmas to All,
RCBinTN

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #204 of 244
Totally agree about the comments on post counts and in my early days on the forum I often gave undue credence to a poster's comments due to a Supremus rating. I think it'd be cool to see members rated on reputation earned, rather than just post count. So, you'd progress through the 'ranks' partly as a result of the positive feedback given by others to your posts.

Dec 23, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #205 of 244
That's very disappointing. I was hoping to be taken seriously for once in my life just based on my Supremus rating. Now I'm going to have to think of something sensible to say, bugger it!

Dec 23, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #206 of 244

5)  Only a handful of the FOTM models are actually outstanding.  Most FOTM are just okay :rolleyes: ...and some of them actually suck :eek: .

Agree completely. Many new folks arriving here are introduced to head-phones with a V-shape. Many times we underestimate what happens to the listening psychology with the hearing center of the mind getting used to headphones for the fist time.

There are many posts in regards to how our first set of headphones set the pace for purchases years down the road. I feel the mind is funny in that regard.

Now combine the fact that the general public is exposed to home cinema sub-woofers, car-audio and the fact that late night club sessions contain earth moving bass. It is no wonder we have a large joining group who could not get close to understanding a ruler flat EQ response.:christmas_tree:

Dec 23, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #207 of 244

One thing I really hated was the FOTM thread about the Schiit Audio Mjolnir.  There were literally dozens of pages devoted to speculation. But since I was interested in buying that amp (I now have it, and love it), I read through all those pages.  It wasn't a total waste of my time, maybe around 95%.

Currawong - are you taking notes :).

Yes, noted! Already there, so usually we have been focussing on maintaining one general chat thread and one impressions thread for products being talked about a lot, such as the Oppo headphones. Appreciation threads have been depreciated as well (and renamed to impressions threads when found).

That's very disappointing. I was hoping to be taken seriously for once in my life just based on my Supremus rating. Now I'm going to have to think of something sensible to say, bugger it!

wink_face.gif

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #208 of 244

Yes, noted! Already there, so usually we have been focussing on maintaining one general chat thread and one impressions thread for products being talked about a lot, such as the Oppo headphones. Appreciation threads have been depreciated as well (and renamed to impressions threads when found).

wink_face.gif

Well done, sir.
See folks - Head-Fi leadership in action!

Thanks, Amos.

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #209 of 244
This thread is about a lurker who finally posted and told everyone to stop all the bum fluff chat and and listen for once.
Merry Xmas...
beerchug.gif

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #210 of 244
  This thread is about a lurker who finally posted and told everyone to stop all the bum fluff chat and and listen for once.
Merry Xmas...
beerchug.gif

Yep.
We are listening.

Merry Xmas to you, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back