What happened to Grado's reputation?
Mar 16, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #467 of 565

Quote:
they aren't supposed to be used as portables (except for the iGrado).......so why is fashion important.

Are Grados much cheaper in the US than in Europe?  

I was using the word "fashion" allegorically.... but you new that anyway!

But yeah.. Grado's are cheaper in the US. RS1i's are on average £200 (same price as new SR225i) more expensive here.. snif.   

Mar 16, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #469 of 565

Quote:
wow....they don't seem that expensive in the US, why should they still not be worth it?

I think its a case of not "still worth it" but "possibly worth it" for someone who is new to the product. I'm wise enough to know that they probably aren't the greatest headphone makers in the world, but at the same time from what I've heard already, what they do offer is something unique. It may be a passing fancy, but if that is the case then they do what they do very well. I'm buying into it,... and obviously a great many people on here have bought in to it too. Some are there to stay.. some are not.

It's all a matter of taste..

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #470 of 565

Quote:
I think its a case of not "still worth it" but "possibly worth it" for someone who is new to the product. I'm wise enough to know that they probably aren't the greatest headphone makers in the world, but at the same time from what I've heard already, what they do offer is something unique. It may be a passing fancy, but if that is the case then they do what they do very well. I'm buying into it,... and obviously a great many people on here have bought in to it too. Some are there to stay.. some are not.

To some Grado may be a passing fancy, but they've been a fancy for over 50 years, so I'm not sure I would classify them as a "passing" fancy.

Quote:
At Grado, our goal is to continually improve on the reputation we have spent over 50 years creating. The music is the most important element, and with the products we produce, your feet will be tapping and your head will be bobbing.
We also understand the need to offer superior quality control and customer service, and each day we strive to continue to keep our customers satisfied.
Your continued happiness contributes to our continued success.
Happy Listening,
John Grado

Mar 16, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #471 of 565

Quote:

To some Grado may be a passing fancy, but they've been a fancy for over 50 years, so I'm not sure I would classify them as a "passing" fancy.

Good point. But I did say "may be a passing fancy" just like any equipment (or manufacture of a particular brand) is in this hobby. You may decide to go for tube amps for instance, and that could be called "a passing fancy" I'm by no means implying that Grado's should be categorized as something that everyone who is enjoying this hobby needs to sample in order to get over it or "yes I've done that". Only that, obviously (all of the Grado threads including this one) it does seem, Grado is a matter of taste more than most, or is it because they are more famous than other manufacturers for what they do?
I do like the taste...but will I get sick of it after a while? I cant say for now.. it tastes too good.!

Mar 16, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #472 of 565
I'm very happy with all of the Grados I've had, but I'm also a modder, so I change what I want to get what I want.  To some that's cheating but to me it's common sense.

Mar 16, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #473 of 565

Quote:
I'm very happy with all of the Grados I've had, but I'm also a modder, so I change what I want to get what I want.  To some that's cheating but to me it's common sense.

I like what Nikongod had to say, that it's all about finding YOUR sound.  Not anyone elses.  

Mar 17, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #474 of 565

Quote:

I've only got one Grado at the moment, but have sold my Denon's and Westone's in order to buy more, so that must say something for them!

I agree, the only headphone in my collection that I would say is closest to what I want is my modded 650's, and it's not really cheating, as certain mods can cost more than the headphones themselves! cheers  

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #476 of 565

Quote:
@LugBug1: U said that they aren't the best Headphone makers on the plant...(i can't comment)

But for YOU, which is/are the main criteria for the ' world's best headphone maker '?

I said "they probably aren't the best hp makers in the world, but what they do offer is unique".

I've made more purchases with Sennheiser than any other make, so subjectively I'd have to go with them. They cover pretty much every area well, from low budget to very high end. I can't comment on how good their very high end is as I have only went as High as the 650's, but from what I have read the HD800's seem pretty good.

But I'd also say that is is unfair to compare a company such as Sennheiser with Grado on account of they both have very different objectives in regards to what they offer the customer, apart from obviously sound quality. Sennheiser are big competitive manufacturers trying to finger every pie! and Grado it seems, know that they do something that one else does, and so are happy just to sit back and carry on doing what they do.

Mar 31, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #478 of 565
I love my 325is. Can't wait to hear them with my new DAC tonight O_o

May 9, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #480 of 565

Quote:
Grados cost just about exactly 3x as much in Norway as they do in the US. I just got a colleague to bring me a set of SR225is from New York - as I am not particularly willing to pay $630 for them.  

damn, you guys are getting ripped off big time.

maybe you compensate that in beyer and senns prices

Users who are viewing this thread

Back