What happened to Grado's reputation?
Feb 12, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #496 of 565

The great irony lies in that Grado continues to win awards and accolades in countries outside
of it's origin - England, France, Germany and even Italy.

The greatest criticism lies within it's country of birth - the USA 
smile.gif

Did I mention that Johnny G does not give a crap?

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #498 of 565
That's not what she said.

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #499 of 565

Quote:
There's multiple reasons why I never considered a Grado:
1) Reputation for sibilance and harsh highs
2) Reputation for no bass. Literally, no bass.
3) Reputation for being one-genre headphones.
4) It looks kind of cheap, and I want an over-ear headphone.

And there's multiple reasons why I take so many peoples opinions with a grain of salt, if even that. Here's one of them ^

Feb 12, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #500 of 565
Some people got cool stories.  =)

Feb 12, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #501 of 565

Quote:

About your points 1 thru 3, don't accept others opinions as fact, use your own ears to make evaluations.

There are a few head-Fiers who like them. http://www.head-fi.org/t/530965/grado-fan-club

Feb 12, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #502 of 565
I don't think Grado lost or gained any reputation, but I think they have been eclipsed in the last decade by newer and more conventional flavor-of-the-month products from other companies (Audio-Technica, HiFiMan, Audez'e, Denon, etc). What I mean by conventional is basically aesthetic - there's an idea of what a "headphone" looks like (and for most people Grado is not it). I'm not saying any of the new products are somehow worse or better, but there's more (high-end) options than Grado, Sennheiser, Sony, Koss, and STAX in 2012. As far as Grado taking a "bad rap" - they're fairly polarizing; you either love them to death or you can't wait to see them go (evidenced by the very contrary reviews). I think comfort is a factor there. Compare this to, for example, the Denon AH-D2000 which will fit most heads, has a "fun" sound that pleases most people (especially first-time buyers), is reasonably comfortable, and looks "normal." The debate over build-quality has always puzzled me; every Grado I've ever held feels very well put together; Denon, some Ultrasones, and some Sennheisers by contrast feel like they might fall to pieces just in normal use after a few days. And of course someone can take a shot at my beloved ESP/950 if they'd like.

Personally I don't like Grado headphones - I've tried most of them, and none of them have ever really "clicked" for me; they either cost more than I believe they should (GS-1000), or aren't comfortable (SR-325i). The sound is perfectly fine though, and I do believe they're "on the level" with the competition. I can really see how they would "click" for some people though.

And I didn't read all 38 pages, I read the first and last page. 

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #503 of 565
I just joined this discussion group. Been lurking for some time. I only own one set of cans, the Grado RS2i's. I've found them to be quite versatile, but I suppose much depends on sources, etc. I have a Consonance Cyber20b, which I got new for a good price. Switched out the Ei EL84's and the RCA 12AU7 for some Genalex new production, and that took care of some of the treble dominance and relative lack of bass. Now the tone is pretty even across the entire auditory range, and bass has improved immensely.  Originally I got interested in the cyber after reading a comment on Audiogon, where some guy claimed the Cyber bested the Ray Samuels Raptor.  Now I haven't heard the raptor, but this little chinese headphone amp is quite an amazing little performer, and it responds well to tube rolling.  I'm feeding it with a Rega DAC, which in turn receives digital information from a CD transport.  While i'm quite satisfied with the Grado's, I'm also interested in some of the other headphones out there. Too bad the hifi man series seems to be cursed with shoddy build, because my interest is piqued by the HE500. I'd also like to audition some Sennheisers on my system at some point. 

Anyway...

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #504 of 565
I heard Grados have an in-your-face type of soundstage and full of treble energy. That is why I never consider them especially when I cannot audition them anywhere.

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #505 of 565

Quote:

1) That can be remedied, and it varies from model to model - extremely well documented on Head-Fi for anyone willing to take the time to do some reading

2) Total and utter ********, unless your concept of 'bass' is having twin subwoofers strapped to your head. I'm sure Skullcandy has something for those folk.

3) Sure, they are 'one genre' if your genre is 'music that is dynamic and exciting'. Do you know how many of the early rave reviews of the SR60 came from people who listen almost exclusively to classical and jazz ? The 'rock headphone' thing is largely courtesy of Head-Fi.

4) If you dont like the pads pressed against your ears, there are options. Any concerns about 'cheap' looks disappear when you put them on and listen to music. End of the day, does it really matter ? I wouldn't be seen dead in public with my AD900s, but at home they are fantastic for what they were made to do - transfer music to my ears.

I haven't owned every Grado model - only SR60i/MS1/SR80i and SR325is, but they all had stellar pluses and, admittedly, some minuses. Would Joe Grado be doing things differently if he hadn't handed over the reins ? Probably, but thats life and we need to deal with it. Selling enough headphones to remain in business means that Grado can still potentially knock our socks off at a future date - without a crystal ball, thats a chance we'll have to take.

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #507 of 565

Yes, it is rather disappointing to see more 'Oh I heard this from so and so' - nothing wrong with sharing that
 information as a quotation from another party but when this directly influences your actions concerning a
 product you've never heard for yourself...well...erm - let's just say credibility is hitting the skids.

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #508 of 565
i love them but my ears hate me after i wear them so eh. I have to have SQ>Comfort>Build. Grado  sound=great, comfort=ew, build=decent.
So if you have small ears or somthing they are phenomenal.

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #509 of 565

Quote:

Yes, it is rather disappointing to see more 'Oh I heard this from so and so' - nothing wrong with sharing that
 information as a quotation from another party but when this directly influences your actions concerning a
 product you've never heard for yourself...well...erm - let's just say credibility is hitting the skids.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/574437/grado-soundstage

http://www.head-fi.org/t/137608/thoughts-on-the-grado-soundstage

Feb 13, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #510 of 565

Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/574437/grado-soundstage

http://www.head-fi.org/t/137608/thoughts-on-the-grado-soundstage

confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back