What happened to Grado's reputation?
Mar 12, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #421 of 565
As a rule it's always going to be the case that if your country makes something, then you're going to be able to get it cheaper than other countries, especially if it is unique. Same goes for Grado's, but there is always someone out there who will import you the same product for the actual price or cheaper if you look hard enough. "So don't pay through the nose- as the saying goes! (just made that saying up..)

Mar 12, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #422 of 565

Quote:
This means you will be stocking up on Meier/Beyer/Sennheiser (hey that rhymes) and returning to the US, right PCF?

Quote:
 "So don't pay through the nose- as the saying goes! (just made that saying up..)

People are starting to rhyme.  Have the bars opened?  
tongue.gif

Mar 12, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #423 of 565

Quote:
On the other hand people in countries like Sweden enjoy a standard of living that is vastly superior to what the majority of Americans have.

Oh, is that so?  That's news to me, having lived in both of those countries.

Apparently you're not familiar with the homeless people trash-can diving for pop bottles here in Sweden, or the beggars on the streets, or the immigrant neighborhoods, or the Indians living half a dozen per bedroom....

Mar 12, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #424 of 565

Quote:
Oh, is that so?  That's news to me, having lived in both of those countries.

Apparently you're not familiar with the homeless people trash-can diving for pop bottles here in Sweden, or the beggars on the streets, or the immigrant neighborhoods, or the Indians living half a dozen per bedroom....

Yes, I'm not saying that every single person in Sweden is better off than every single person in the USA.  My point is that the standard of living is much higher.  Standard of living is not based on anecdotal accounts such as your own - it's determined using statistics that apply to a country or area in general.

What's your point anyways?  That the standard of living in the USA is higher or that they are equal?

Mar 12, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #425 of 565

Quote:

Yes, I'm not saying that every single person in Sweden is better off than every single person in the USA.  My point is that the standard of living is much higher.  Standard of living is not based on anecdotal accounts such as your own - it's determined using statistics that apply to a country or area in general.

What's your point anyways?  That the standard of living in the USA is higher or that they are equal?

No, the standard of living in the US and Sweden is extremely high in both cases.  It is not "much better in Sweden".  Go look up the Human Development Index for yourself.

Actually, I'll do it for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index

You're making assumptions where they don't belong.  Even though there's universal health care, there's no free lunch.  It is not automatically better in Sweden.  Perhaps, the poorest 10% in Sweden are better off as a result, but there is no gross difference in standard of living - especially for the hypothetical "average" citizen.  That would be why the US scores higher than Sweden overall in the HDI but once inequality is taken into account, it falls somewhat.  But not a lot.

Mar 12, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #426 of 565

Quote:
No, the standard of living in the US and Sweden is extremely high in both cases.  It is not "much better in Sweden".  Go look up the Human Development Index for yourself.

Actually, I'll do it for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index

You're making assumptions where they don't belong.  Even though there's universal health care, there's no free lunch.  It is not automatically better in Sweden.  Perhaps, the poorest 10% in Sweden are better off as a result, but there is no gross difference in standard of living - especially for the hypothetical "average" citizen.  That would be why the US scores higher than Sweden overall in the HDI but once inequality is taken into account, it falls somewhat.  But not a lot.

I'm surprised america is ranked slightly higher than sweden

Mar 12, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #427 of 565

Quote:

I believe that's why there is now also the inequality-adjusted HDI, which accounts for inequality in the country.  The USA falls in this ranking of course - but not much.

Mar 12, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #428 of 565

Quote:

Actually, I'll do it for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index

This is going seriously OT, but as you can see for every year up to 2010 Sweden ranked significantly above the USA in HDI.  2010 results are based on projected values.  Beyond this the HDI is not a great way of measuring standard of living in my opinion.  It looks at a few key factors and gives a crude representation of well being.  Obviously the USA and Sweden both fall under the category of highly developed - I'm not trying to compare to Sierra Leone or similar.  We're talking about the cost of luxury goods after all.

Anyways we can each have our own opinion and leave the thread to its original topic.  Maybe next time try to be a little less aggressive when someone's opinion happens to be different than your own :wink:

[size=medium]

Quote:

Yes there is something very strange about this result as America is going through the worst recession since the 30s.  Perhaps results are being skewed by interventions such as no child left behind and QE. 
[/size]

Mar 12, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #429 of 565
Grado's reputation is down?
When I looked for a pair of headphones, just about every guide supported the SR60i's.
I bought them...and well I fell in love with them...I hope to buy a higher tier pair once it start working.  :X

Mar 12, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #430 of 565
Quote:
Grado's reputation is down?
When I looked for a pair of headphones, just about every guide supported the SR60i's.
I bought them...and well I fell in love with them...I hope to buy a higher tier pair once it start working.  :X

Their lower end offerings are pretty good values.  Their mid and high end?  Not so much...

Mar 12, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #434 of 565
Quote:
Really? :/
May have to think again about my future purchases :X
I was hoping to own some GS1000's in the future...

First, the GS1000s have a very different sound sig is very different from the rest of the Grados.

Second, while there are many other headphones that offer objectively better performance than the mid end and especially high end Grados for lower prices, if you are in love with the sound sig then a more expensive pair might still be a good choice anyway.

Mar 12, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #435 of 565

Quote:
First, the GS1000s have a very different sound sig is very different from the rest of the Grados.

Second, while there are many other headphones that offer objectively better performance than the mid end and especially high end Grados for lower prices, if you are in love with the sound sig then a more expensive pair might still be a good choice anyway.

Oh, so something along the lines of the SR125i's or SR225i's then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back