What happened to Grado's reputation?
Mar 11, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #406 of 565

Quote:
Well, when is the last time Grado came out with a new model? Their reputation hasn't suffered, people are just talking more about new products. The HF-2 isn't new, it is the exact same concept and even physical shape as other Grados. They really need to release genuinely new headphones instead of using the same 3 drivers and same 3 housings in different combinations. They need to cut down the number of headphones in the SR line and reduce the ridiculous prices of the RS, PS, and GS lines. Their markups to distributors are about 50%. Senneheiser sells to distributors at about 20% markup. And what's worse, Grado requires its distributors to sell at another 50% markup to the consumer! Yes, this information is accurate, I got it from a person who as been retailing Grados and other headphones for more than a decade. And the markup is even higher than that outside the USA! John Grado may be making enough money now to live comfortably, but if he wants his company to be around in 10 years, he needs to design truly new products at more realistic prices. 

-edit- Oh yeah, they need to have more polite customer service reps, which costs absolutely nothing, and stricter quality control, which costs relatively little. But those are well-known problems.

Retail markup on name brand headphones average 20%-35%, rarely above and not often below those margins.  Such margins, when coupled with minimum inventory requirements imposed by many manufacturers make it difficult for full service retailers to survive.

Mar 11, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #407 of 565

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been around here long enough that i remember the aftermath of the HF-1, and i clearly remember that John Grado swore that he would never do another limited product like that because he found the profiteering and other aspects of the way it panned out distasteful.

Then the economy went south and he got over it. I lost a little respect for him right then.

I know its an 'audio thing' to personalise boutique brands, but I think you are over-reacting.

Personally, I dont really care if Tiger Woods is in charge of Grado and only drops in when he gets bored with his, ahem, other activities - I just want the headphones to sound great. I couldnt name a single member of the Sennheiser family, yet I base my opinion of them purely on the basis of my opinion of the Senns I have heard (mostly mediocre). Beyerdynamic and A-T might as well be based on one of Jupiter's moons for all I know about them, but I like the product I have sampled thus far. As for AKG, I have zero respect for anyone involved with Harmon Clown Corp, but I would still be prepared to listen to some properly amped K701s if the opportunity ever arises. I take your point about the whole 'limited edition' thing, but I want Grado to plow their efforts into the headphones that mere mortals can buy.

Mar 11, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #408 of 565

Quote:
Retail markup on name brand headphones average 20%-35%, rarely above and not often below those margins.  Such margins, when coupled with minimum inventory requirements imposed by many manufacturers make it difficult for full service retailers to survive.

Yes, that is why the guy I talked to got out of the business. But in this case, the markup was enforced by Grado. That is why you never see ANY grado advertised for less than MSRP. Grado strictly enforces this MSRP, which is a markup of around 50%, after a 40-50% markup to the retail outlet, if I remember correctly.

Mar 12, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #409 of 565
Here's the MSRP of the top three Grados in UK:

RS1i   658pounds ($1070)
GS1000i  1125pounds ($1830)
PS1000  1795pounds ($2920)

The exchange rate was 2:1 before. That means you would have to pay $3590 for a pair of PS1000!

Mar 12, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #410 of 565
This means you will be stocking up on Meier/Beyer/Sennheiser (hey that rhymes) and returning to the US, right PCF?

Quote:

RS1i   658pounds ($1070)

The exchange rate was 2:1 before. That means you would have to pay $3590 for a pair of PS1000!

Mar 12, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #412 of 565

Maybe a bit of an inside joke as I just met him at the Bay Area Meet a day before he was moving to the UK...

Hoping I get to hang with all the Head-Fiers I met again (sometime).

(Of course, Grado prices should not affect one's home location.)

redface.gif

Mar 12, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #413 of 565

Quote:

Maybe a bit of an inside joke as I just met him at the Bay Area Meet a day before he was moving to the UK...

Hoping I get to hang with all the Head-Fiers I met again (sometime).

(Of course, Grado prices should not affect one's home location.)

redface.gif

Unfortunately even Sennheiser phones are more expensive here for no good reasons. :frowning2:
It was nice to meet you and everyone else in the meet. Hope to come to the next one if the timing works out.

Quote:
This means you will be stocking up on Meier/Beyer/Sennheiser (hey that rhymes) and returning to the US, right PCF?

Mar 12, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #414 of 565
Quote:

RS1i   658pounds ($1070)

This must be a joke.

Mar 12, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #415 of 565
Wow certain people just can't stop coming back to rag on Grado.  It reminds me of k701 threads when the HD800 came out.

Blaming Grado for unfair markup is crazy considering the competition.  The RS-1 is handmade in New York using mostly wood, metal, and leather.  Alternatively, a headphone like the Denon D7000 is produced in a factory in China and yet the price of both is about the same.  Is it only clear to me that the markup on D7000s (as an example) must be many times that of RS-1s?

I can understand overseas pricing being an issue, but I think that is controlled by the distributors and not Grado themselves.  If you don't like the overseas pricing then buy them out of country and send a message to distributors.

Mar 12, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #416 of 565
Wow certain people just can't stop coming back to rag on Grado.  It reminds me of k701 threads when the HD800 came out.

Blaming Grado for unfair markup is crazy considering the competition.  The RS-1 is handmade in New York using mostly wood, metal, and leather.  Alternatively, a headphone like the Denon D7000 is produced in a factory in China and yet the price of both is about the same.  Is it only clear to me that the markup on D7000s (as an example) must be many times that of RS-1s?

I can understand overseas pricing being an issue, but I think that is controlled by the distributors and not Grado themselves.  If you don't like the overseas pricing then buy them out of country and send a message to distributors.

I can't say I agree with your comment at all.

Mar 12, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #417 of 565

Quote:
Quote:

I can't say I agree with your comment at all.

I do agree. It´s not like Grado is alone with this. D7000 goes for 1600$ around here. More then X2 and as mentioned made in China. Grados is generally a factor of x2 though they are unlike the Denons available from more retailers then one. The markups for european brands are quite a bit less then these more exotic brands. Audio Technica is finally making a move to sell on the European market as well finally.

Mar 12, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #418 of 565

Quote:
I do agree. It´s not like Grado is alone with this. D7000 goes for 1600$ around here. More then X2 and as mentioned made in China. Grados is generally a factor of x2 though they are unlike the Denons available from more retailers then one. The markups for european brands are quite a bit less then these more exotic brands. Audio Technica is finally making a move to sell on the European market as well finally.

Yeah, but everything is expensive in Sweden.  The K701 costs about 3200 SEK at the local hi-fi store but 1771 SEK from Thomann...  Or the HD 800, which is 11800 SEK - that works out to over 300 Euros more than on the continent.

Japanese 'phones are of course even worse, but it's already ridiculous enough.  I wanted to get a replacement HD 600 cable, but the local store wants 500 SEK for what should cost almost half that.

Mar 12, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #420 of 565

Users who are viewing this thread

Back