What foods won't you eat?
Sep 15, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #32 of 424
Someone mentioned sweetbreads. They horrified me for years, but ate them at a good place (at my chef cousin's urging) and converted.

As for bugs, I've had chupalines at a Oaxacan restaurant that used to be in LA. The first one took a lot of willpower, but they're actually pretty good. I'll eat them again. I'll probably try other insects, too, but they're not easy to come by in the US.

I do like lutefisk and have always enjoyed akvavit. Must be something latent in my genetic background. :)

A few mentioned seafood. Funny, my brother-in-law used to be terrified by anything from the sea. Before I knew him, I hadn't met anyone with an aversion to it. We have been working on him the past 13 years he's been in the family. First was shrimp - he loves it now. He's taken to other shellfish (especially lobster) and a few of the less-fishy tasting fish. Salmon is out and he qualis at sushi. We're still working on him.

I 've never had the occasion of eating sweetbreads, wouldn't mind trying though.

As for bug, I've tried silkworms and scorpions, and some other kind of worm I don't know the name of. It can be tasty but it's not my cup of tea. Snails on the other hand can be quite good.

As for exotic meats (and fish), I's tried still moving squid tentacles (yeah they move in your mouth:D), horse, donkey, snake, kangaroo, crocodile and ostrish. I kike most shell fish though I've yet to try raw oyster. Wouldn't mind trying lutefish,

I have no idea what akvavit is unless you are talking about the alcohol.

Sep 15, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #33 of 424
Yes, akvavit is alcohol. :)

Not a food, but I've been given it at family occasions since I was 13 or so. (With parental supervision.) I have always kept a bottle in the freezer.

Sweetbreads are delicious. Most people go for muscle, but organs are wonderful when prepared correctly. Too bad they've fallen out of favor. Thet were a delicacy for a long time. I think that if you're going to eat an animal, you should use as much of it as possible. Don't let anything go to waste and appreciate as much as possible.

For Thanksgiving, I'm thinking we should put the giblets to good use, too.

Sep 15, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #34 of 424
Yes, akvavit is alcohol. :)

Not a food, but I've been given it at family occasions since I was 13 or so. (With parental supervision.) I have always kept a bottle in the freezer.

Sweetbreads are delicious. Most people go for muscle, but organs are wonderful when prepared correctly. Too bad they've fallen out of favor. Thet were a delicacy for a long time. I think that if you're going to eat an animal, you should use as much of it as possible. Don't let anything go to waste and appreciate as much as possible.

Giblets must go in the gravy

Sep 15, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #36 of 424
I wont eat:

Eggs (OK if mixed with at least 50% other stuff)
American pasteurized food product (sometimes erroneously called "cheese")
Salad (or most green veggies for that matter)
Shrimp/fish (unless in sushi or fried)
Veal (on its own, good in gyros), venison, animal organs
Cold "salads" consisting of things that should be warm like potatoes or pasta
Foods with too much thermal contrast (for example, hot fudge on ice cream)
Jello or gelatinous food/candy of any kind

I won't drink:

Sugary pop/soda
Bad tea (Lipton)
Coffee products of any kind

Restaurants I avoid like the plague:

McDonald's
Burger King

That about covers it.

Sep 15, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #37 of 424
MCC, you just eat meat and drink water?

I don't like any of the melons, and I don't like green peppers (and they infect everything that they're mixed with too!), and I suppose that I don't eat organ meats, but that hasn't been presented to me.

Sep 15, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #38 of 424

Quote:
Yes, akvavit is alcohol.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, I like eating brain tacos, mole de panza (stomach of the cow), and tripitas or machitos (intestines).....mmm maybe I should give bugs another chance...worm tacos anyone?
tongue.gif

I'm very picky with cheese....go figure..

Sep 15, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #40 of 424
I won't eat:

Frog legs : Not a fan
All fast food exepct TACO BELL (like once every 2-3 month)
Chicken Hearts
pork blood cubes (used in asian cooking)
Any fish with bones
Lamb
Anything weird like head/tounge/
Balut- feels like I'm eating a baby
liver

I think that sums it up.

I'm pretty open to tasting new foods but if I don't like it, its going on my blacklist.

Sep 15, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #41 of 424
I won't eat:

Frog legs : Not a fan
All fast food exepct TACO BELL (like once every 2-3 month)
Chicken Hearts
pork blood cubes (used in asian cooking)
Any fish with bones
Lamb
Anything weird like head/tounge/
Balut- feels like I'm eating a baby
liver

I think that sums it up.

I'm pretty open to tasting new foods but if I don't like it, its going on my blacklist.

I would eat and have eaten everything in that list except balut, once, I ate a young chick (1 month maybe?) and the whole experience was quite disturbing.

Sep 15, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #42 of 424
Amusing thread.  Basically, I won't eat any organs - none.  Unless, it meant starving to death, then, I may reconsider with a lot of salt, sugar, and butter!

Speaking in the lines on the thread above, the 'traditional' Chinese menu absent of English text can literally turn your stomach.  Other than sausage and it's varients, the whole chicken, duck, or pig is found in some form of recipe - organs and all!

Sep 15, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #43 of 424

Quote:
I would eat and have eaten everything in that list except balut, once, I ate a young chick (1 month maybe?) and the whole experience was quite disturbing.

Ooohh... balut.  I don't think so.  I'll eat squab- probably because it's fried and doesn't have feathers.

Sep 15, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #44 of 424
I don't approve of eating dog, but ate it once at my friends high school graduation party, and balut is nothing special. Lol, I don't enjoy getting feathers stuck between my teeth. 

One thing that is pretty unique these days, and gives most people the willies is true sucking pig. Its not something we ate often and I'm done with it, but I've killed and prepped domestic, and once a wild pig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back