What foods won't you eat?
Sep 14, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #17 of 424

Quote:
Anyone tried horse meat before?

Horrible, taste like Dog food.
biggrin.gif

My uncle had to "dispatch" one of his horses and didn't let the meat go to waste.

It was way too lean to be any good. Still, it was 50 lbs of meat for free. The problem was, my aunt packed the horse with the cow meat in separate bags and threw them in my freezer. So everytime I wanted to grab a meat out, it was a chance and luck game.

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #19 of 424
I absolutely can't stand large pieces of bolied onions or those fried on a frying pan. Even thinking about them makes me want to puke lol Oddly, I do love onions fried over natural fire, say in a BBQ, no matter what size the pieces are. And I love raw onions.

I also dislike broccoli. Though I wouldn't say I hate it. Its taste just doesn't appeal to me.

I also hate olives. And I mean I just HATE them. Can't stand them at all. Their taste reminds me of burning rubber for some reason. lol

Sep 14, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #22 of 424
Im very picky when it comes to seafood...like lobster, octopus and jelly fish. I never liked it. 

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #23 of 424
I usually avoid ketchup and mustard at many restaurants. To me, they are very generic and bland condiments that do nothing to improve a dish. I do like certain types of boutique ketchups and exotic/spicy mustards though. And I like the plain generic barbecue sauce too.

I usually never order seafood at a typical diner in the middle of nowhere. It's usually bland and after tasting fresh seafood in coastal towns and big cities like Boston for example, it's hard to enjoy the plain previously frozen seafood unless if I'm drunk somewhere and it's 3 AM. The same goes with ribs. Ribs usually have to be done by places that are dedicated to making ribs like a good BBQ or ribs joint. From my experience, ribs at diners are a waste of money and tend to be pretty bad. Ribs in the inner city joints that cater to the  African Americans neighborhoods tend to be pretty good though. 

I never buy the premade  potato salad that is sold at the standard super markets. OMG, that is terrible! How do people eat that when making potato salad at home is so easy? If I'm too busy, I'd rather have no potato salad. The worst thing I have ever seen in a super market was frozen sushi that you simply defrost. Wow, that is seriously obscene. 

On a positive note, I love fried chicken. Even bad versions of it are fun to eat.

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #25 of 424
soft drinks - I drink one about every two to three months
candy - about once a year
veal - can't think of a reason to eat it

I love foie gras, but there are more reasons to not, than to....so I don't.

I love foie gras too, but I see no reason to not eat it :D (otherwise I'd have to choose not to eat battery raised chicken to not be a hypocrite)

I eat practically anything even if kidneys aren't usually a favorite of mine, but I'd probably avoid that worm filed Corsican cheese or delicacies such as kiviak, monkey brain or the 3 squeaks though.

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #26 of 424

Quote:
I did once by accident.  I was in a Moscow restaurant and I thought it was meatloaf.  Terrible, like eating an old boot.  Tough, very little flavor but a sour aftertaste.  I think the horse died of old age.

That sounds like Donkey to me, really, Donkey meat.

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #27 of 424

Quote:

I usually never order seafood at a typical diner in the middle of nowhere. It's usually bland and after tasting fresh seafood in coastal towns and big cities like Boston for example, it's hard to enjoy the plain previously frozen seafood unless if I'm drunk somewhere and it's 3 AM. The same goes with ribs. Ribs usually have to be done by places that are dedicated to making ribs like a good BBQ or ribs joint. From my experience, ribs at diners are a waste of money and tend to be pretty bad. Ribs in the inner city joints that cater to the  African Americans neighborhoods tend to be pretty good though. 

On a positive note, I love fried chicken. Even bad versions of it are fun to eat.

Uuh, which ribs beef or pork? Valid question right?

Quote:
I love foie gras too, but I see no reason to not eat it
biggrin.gif
(otherwise I'd have to choose not to eat battery raised chicken to not be a hypocrite)

I eat practically anything even if kidneys aren't usually a favorite of mine, but I'd probably avoid that worm filed Corsican cheese or delicacies such as kiviak, monkey brain or the 3 squeaks though.

Yeah I know, the best I can do is deal with one hypocrisy at the time, lol. That and I haven't had haute cuisine for a few years so.....

Sep 15, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #28 of 424
Quote:
I'll usually try anything at least once.

But I know I don't like beef liver, foie gras, and jelly fish.

Same here. I'll try nearly anything, except a few things like whale. Jellyfish is actually quite nice and crunchy. 

In terms of what I dont eat, mainly high fat garbage you get fast food restaurants (makes me gag once I think of the nutritional value of such food).

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #29 of 424
Someone mentioned sweetbreads. They horrified me for years, but ate them at a good place (at my chef cousin's urging) and converted.

As for bugs, I've had chupalines at a Oaxacan restaurant that used to be in LA. The first one took a lot of willpower, but they're actually pretty good. I'll eat them again. I'll probably try other insects, too, but they're not easy to come by in the US.

I do like lutefisk and have always enjoyed akvavit. Must be something latent in my genetic background. :)

A few mentioned seafood. Funny, my brother-in-law used to be terrified by anything from the sea. Before I knew him, I hadn't met anyone with an aversion to it. We have been working on him the past 13 years he's been in the family. First was shrimp - he loves it now. He's taken to other shellfish (especially lobster) and a few of the less-fishy tasting fish. Salmon is out and he qualis at sushi. We're still working on him.

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #30 of 424

Quote:
A few mentioned seafood. Funny, my brother-in-law used to be terrified by anything from the sea. Before I knew him, I hadn't met anyone with an aversion to it. We have been working on him the past 13 years he's been in the family. First was shrimp - he loves it now. He's taken to other shellfish (especially lobster) and a few of the less-fishy tasting fish. Salmon is out and he qualis at sushi. We're still working on him.

My gf, with the exception of shrimp and crab, does not like fish.  No shellfish, no salmon- not even the most tasteless whitefish you could come up with.  Oh- and she's from Vietnam.

I like jellyfish, and tripe too (dim sum).  I like the rubber glove crunchy texture.  To me, these foods have almost no flavor and are basically just carriers for the sauce that they're in.

I guess to answer the OP, probably anything still alive.  A good example would be some of the stuff that Bear Grylls pulls out of the bark of a fallen tree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back