What foods won't you eat?
Sep 14, 2011 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 424

Uncle Erik

Uncle Exotic
We've had a lot of fun discussing favorite foods, so what do you refuse to eat?

I've never developed a taste for pickles. They've never appealed, though I will eat cucumbers and other pickled items.

Tomatoes are also a bit strange with me. I won't eat a raw one or slices. But when chopped or in a salsa, no problem. Go figure.

I've also cut out highly-processed foods. I used to eat them, but can't stomach them today. My most hated processed food is probably Miracle Whip. It practically triggers the gag reflex for me.

I refused to eat sushi for years, until I gutted it out once on a date and found that I actually liked it. So while I won't eat a raw tomato, raw fish is not a problem. :)

I also avoid several species of fish that are overfished. Not because I dislike them, but because I don't want the species to be wiped out.

So, what foods do you avoid and why? Have you ever come around on a food you didn't like? Have you developed a taste for something you hated?

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #2 of 424
I hate overly salted/sweetened food. Bologna, suger frosting. It's why I like mexican sweets more

That's about it. I'm not too picky with what I eat. But I'm also very picky of what I eat and when. If I have a craving for Chinese, I need to get it.
Either way, what I mostly eat I make from scratch, so I control what I put in it.

btw: Grow your own tomatoes, you'll get a 100X better fruit then store bough ones. I don't even buy store bought ones, horrid. I grow my own, with peppers, and eat them straight off the vine with a little salt. Mmmm...

Sep 14, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #3 of 424
I don't eat raw, hard boiled, sunny side up chicken eggs but I love omelettes.

I'm not a fan of vegetables' stalks but I don't mind eating the leaves.

I don't eat fruits but I drink fruit juice. 

I like eating squids (deep fried, cooked with some sauce, etc), but I don't eat their legs (?)

That's all I can come up with for now. 

Sep 14, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #4 of 424
I eat just about anything, as long as it's prepared well.

Foods I won't eat:

Pickled beets
Organ meats
Sweet pickles (I like dill pickles)

That pretty much covers it.

Edit: I forgot to mention goat cheese. I hate goat cheese. (Love pretty much any other cheese, though - even the stinky ones.)

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #5 of 424
Sundried tomatoes and pine nuts

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #6 of 424
Meat, including fish, and eggs. Cheese and other dairy foods are starting to become disgusting to me too, so I may quit them.

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #7 of 424
I eat just about anything, as long as it's prepared well.

Foods I won't eat:

Pickled beets
Organ meats
Sweet pickles (I like dill pickles)

That pretty much covers it.

Edit: I forgot to mention goat cheese. I hate goat cheese. (Love pretty much any other cheese, though - even the stinky ones.)

Yeah, organ meats
Saurkraut/kimchi
Beets
spam
potted meat

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #8 of 424
I live where there is a lot of strange food. Most food around me I just will not touch. Much of the food is handled in a way that I can't handle. Lucky hot spices and garlic act as an antiseptic. I eat a lot of fruit and avocados, bread and French butter. Chicken and some fish. I really never drink milk but cheese is a treat. Fresh baked bread is one of my favorite things and a simple pleasure.

I read that there are some of the hottest chili peppers in the world here and last month I found them! They are so hot they can make you feel like you have the flu! Tofu is something I have been getting into as well as tempeh. The list of food as I could describe it here just would not be that entertaining to read and maybe a little gross. Stuff like fresh pig's blood and coconut flakes wrapped in banana leaves would be a start of describing the food here I don't eat. It is endless.     

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #9 of 424
Interesting question.

Generally I like everything but it has to be in good shape. For example, I can eat frog eye balls if prepared the correct way and fresh. It's all protein and the human psychology  and social norms is what prevents us from eating lots of over looked great foods.

I generally avoid processed foods. Sure, I will eat a Snickers candy bar from time to time or even at McDonald's too but when I shop at a supermarket, I NEVER buy canned soup. There may be some good brands out there but homemade soup easily beats it. That Campbell's canned chicken soup tastes so wrong. It tastes like salt water with fake chicken flavor. I also do not drink milk in most cases and personally IMO, adults should not be drinking milk as a beverage. I feel that it's ideally for children. I had debate with my coworker about this milk topic because he absolutely loves milk. He is very over weight though so I think his heavy milk drinking is a part of his heaviness. Also, I think milk does not taste good with food. Yeah, it's good with a chocolate cake but it's terrible with pizza. That "milk does a body good" campaign advertisement is wrong IMO, especially for adults.  But milk is fine when used for recipes like rice pudding for example and I will happily consume milk in that context since I am eating a small portion.

Lately, I've been eating a vegetarian diet. Yes I love meat and I eat it mostly on the weekends but in some ways meat is over rated. Do I always have to have chicken or some type of ground meat with my meal? Is it not a meal because there is no meat? It seems that many people feel that if there is no meat, something is missing. 

The fact is, there's lots of great meals and dishes out there that are meatless but unfortunately you have to prepare it yourself. The vegetarian selection at most restaurants suck. I find that when I reduce my meat consumption, I will save money because meat is on the expensive side. Vegetables in season are amazingly good and cheap. So money is a factor why I eat less meat. Also, I feel lighter and less heavy when I reduce my meat content. I find myself to be more energetic, when I eat more raw vegetables. 

That being said, I look forward to my pastrami sandwich this weekend.

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #11 of 424
Vegetables just don't give me that full feeling.. But I love kai-lan.  

After some years of camping, I've learnt to appreciate maggi noodles in mess tins, canned hot dogs, Tiger/Ovaltine biscuits. 
But I could never get Campbell's soup or any type of white/colourless soup to stay down for long. It just don't taste right.

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #12 of 424
Olives - I've tried them numerous times but I just don't care for the taste.
Sushi - I've really tried to like sushi, but I just find it bland and unsatisfying. 
Anchovies - Tried 'em on a pizza once... never again :wink: 
Caviar - Don't like the taste at all :p

And a few things I could never try because I can't mentally get past what they actually are:
  1. Organ meats
  2. Tongue
  3. Rocky mountain oysters
  4. Sea Cucumber

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #14 of 424

Quote:
Weird stuff (animals like cobras etc) that people eat in China/Japan.

I've tried rattle snake dip in Colorado. I think it was mixed with cream cheese and it was served with nacho chips. It had a mild sort of white fish flavor. From my experience, creepy looking animals taste mild. Some day I hope to eat cute little children. Maybe that tastes good. Just kidding. 

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #15 of 424

Quote:
Weird stuff (animals like cobras etc) that people eat in China/Japan.

Camping a few years back, stopped and found a rattle snake. So I caught it and cut it's head off. Took it back and ate it.

Tasted like alligator and chicken. The bones were a the worse part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back