What do your parents think of Audiophilia?
Oct 30, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #46 of 55
Haha your dad sounds awesome. I recently full-out converted my dad when he tried my HE500 loaner with some Miles Davis. "I want one like this."

Oct 30, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #47 of 55
 "Why do you need more than one pair of headphones?" - my mom.
 "You don't need speakers, you already have headphones" - my mom
 " Flac, what is that" - my mom
 " they sound good, but why would you spend so much money on music" - my mom
 " I like music, but I don't sit down and listen to it, it's just for on the go. Why would you buy something that's not portable" - my mom

My dad gets it, but my mom doesn't seem to understand the appeal.

Oct 30, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #48 of 55
My dad is the one that bought me my Denon AH-D2000. When I told him about more expensive headphones, amplifiers, DACs, he told me that he'll buy me a "proper" setup for my b-day =D
My mom didn't understand what's so special about the Denons that made them cost so much. I let her listen to some of her favourite bands on my headphones and she said they were worth it.

My friends on the other side thought I'm a nut for spending so much on "just" headphones and one of them even said that his 10 dollars headphones of his probably sound the same as mine. I let them listen to my headphones and all of them shut their mouths about it xD

Oct 30, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #49 of 55
My parents think it's a waste, but then again, they think a lot of my hobbies are wasteful (building PCs, gaming, etc0.

Quote:
My sister is 21 and loves Dubstep and Metal.

Go on...

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #50 of 55
My Dad has been a Hi-Fi enthusiast since he was a teenager.

Positives
  1. Huge knowledge base I can ask.
  2. Access to high end speaker setups. From what I could figure out, his collection includes: electrostatic double panel Quad speaker, high end Macintosh amp, a English made horn/dynamic hybrid speaker, 5+ other amps I have no idea of and even more speakers. Not kidding, I don't even know how to start appreciating these.
  3. Parents are both supportive of my interest in audio.
  4. Dad is building me a tube amplifier for Christmas! 
    k701smile.gif
  5. Dad wants to buy a Stax SR-007. I'm hoping I can hijack this for my own use.

Negatives
  1. Every headphone I have is hugely lacking in numerous aspects to him. I guess that is to be expected but it still hurts when your best headphones get shot down and pummelled to the ground in his analysis. The only headphones he's respected is a properly setup HD800 and a Stax SR-007 rig.
  2. Doesn't understand why I 'waste' money in the <$500 range. I want to start from low and go up so I actually appreciate the rise in quality but he's already been there, done that.
  3. Doesn't understand why I choose headphones. He tries hard to convert me to small speakers but I prefer the privacy of headphones. Before I knew of Head-Fi I once asked for a gaming headset (ignorance is bliss), I got a Bose 5.1 speaker system instead.

I'm not complaining at all, the positives are huge but there are annoyance from time to time. Guess the saying is true, you don't know what you have until it's gone.

Nov 16, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #52 of 55
Pretty meh, at first i thought they would think it was nuts but then i realized my dad probably dropped a good amount on his speakers/DJ equipment. Also when it comes to upgrading speakers and Tvs he's pretty enthused so it's all good.
I'm now giving a few things away to family members, let's see if they give me any feedback. I'm starting to think people don't really take the time to listen to music and notice the difference (or they are playing crap Mp3s) because i didn't really hear anything back after giving away KSC75s.....

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #53 of 55
They don't really know how much they cost! And yup, that's a good thing. They probably don't understand why i have so many audio players, or more than one pair of IEMs. But again my dad uses a component system (which he said he's gonna leave to me to tinker) so I guess they understand. Just need to find where the cash is.

Oh and they only complain that I can't hear them when i'm listening to music :p

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #54 of 55

Quote:
My Dad has been a Hi-Fi enthusiast since he was a teenager.

Positives
  1. Huge knowledge base I can ask.
  2. Access to high end speaker setups. From what I could figure out, his collection includes: electrostatic double panel Quad speaker, high end Macintosh amp, a English made horn/dynamic hybrid speaker, 5+ other amps I have no idea of and even more speakers. Not kidding, I don't even know how to start appreciating these.
  3. Parents are both supportive of my interest in audio.
  4. Dad is building me a tube amplifier for Christmas! 
    k701smile.gif
  5. Dad wants to buy a Stax SR-007. I'm hoping I can hijack this for my own use.

Negatives
  1. Every headphone I have is hugely lacking in numerous aspects to him. I guess that is to be expected but it still hurts when your best headphones get shot down and pummelled to the ground in his analysis. The only headphones he's respected is a properly setup HD800 and a Stax SR-007 rig.
  2. Doesn't understand why I 'waste' money in the <$500 range. I want to start from low and go up so I actually appreciate the rise in quality but he's already been there, done that.
  3. Doesn't understand why I choose headphones. He tries hard to convert me to small speakers but I prefer the privacy of headphones. Before I knew of Head-Fi I once asked for a gaming headset (ignorance is bliss), I got a Bose 5.1 speaker system instead.

I'm not complaining at all, the positives are huge but there are annoyance from time to time. Guess the saying is true, you don't know what you have until it's gone.

Good Lord, that's just like my dad, save for the setup he uses. My dad had a Dynaudio + Fisher setup, and later, an Altec-Lansing + Luxman setup. Sure knows how to appreciate good sound though. (he splashed out a low 5-figure sum for his car audio 2 decades ago)

Oh, and he likes nothing below a well-amped HD800 too, and generally questions my need for headphones. Well, I am sorry, but there is no way in hell I am going to blast my squeaky brickwalled J-Pop recordings.

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #55 of 55
My dad kind of supports me. We both understand good sound - he has a vintage yamaha receiver and infinity speakers. It's just that he doesn't like headphones, so it's pretty hard to justify purchases, especially when I'm an IEM kind of guy lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back