What do your parents think of Audiophilia?
Jun 30, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #31 of 55
My parents think it's insane, however they once asked me why I didn't just get the ultimate (insert audio related item here.) instead of upgrading all the time..

How do I break it to them I want customs? :D

Jul 2, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #33 of 55

Quote:
Plus they know some of my best friends are druggees (they're awesome, I swear) and would rather I spend money on audio stuff than pot.

You have wise parents, cabible!
Any annoyance my mother had was dispelled immediately when I told her that I could afford it as I don't smoke or do ethanol!  
dt880smile.png

Jul 2, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #34 of 55

Aug 25, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #35 of 55
Just asked my mother what she thinks about me spending $200 on headphones and she said it was a waste. She said I don't understand money. She is very poor btw and barely buys anything.

Not my parents but friends of my parents say that it is frivolous and that if I want to spend that kind of money on headphones I should go with a trusted brand like Bose.

Sigh.

I told my sister who that I have $200 headphones and that I want a pair of LCD 2s which cost $1000. She responded with "bcasey that is foolish, I could get a car for that price".

My sister is 21 and loves Dubstep and Metal. She doesn't quite care for my hobby. She thinks it's rather foolish.

My grandma had this to say about me spending $200 on headphones.

I told my grandma that my headphones were $200 and she nearly spit out her coffee. She said (she owns a dollar store btw) that the headphones she sells at her dollar store are just as good and better value. Again she said I didn't know enough about money and life to understand. I came in another day with Grado's and she didn't understand why I bought new headphones.

My family is rather poor and most of them are high school dropouts if that explains anything.

Aug 25, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #38 of 55

Quote:
Heh... I don't think I've bought enough headphones yet to give my mom a scare.  She seemed supportive enough of me getting a turn table, so I'm guessing she's cool with all this. 

Me and my mother have a deal

She doesn't talk about my array of cans including the ones I borrow, the room filled with instruments and bikes and I don't talk about her having a purse with matching shoes collection.

Quite sad really. I've spent less than her.

Aug 25, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #39 of 55
hahaha this thread is pretty funny
 my mom in the beginning didnt understand why i have spent so much, but she heard later and at least she knows that my audio gear is much better than most people have, my uncle still thinks im crazy to spend so much money but he loves listening to my monster turbine pro gold or my denon d2000 with sony a846

Aug 25, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #40 of 55

Quote:
This is disrespectful on so many levels you deserve a good whack in the head. ****ing kids these days..

For your information it isn't rude if it's fact. I don't hold it against them that they are poor but it would be partially the reason why they think spending money like that is foolish. Afterall they don't know what it's like to have a decent amount of disposable income. Being the first one in my family to graduate and go to college in the fall I think they will be quite happy with me spending excess money on something I enjoy.

Aug 25, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #41 of 55
Step 1: Buy expensive turntable

Step 2: Buy Carpenters vinyl for protection

Step 3: Show mother (a huge Carpenters fan) vinyl and turntable AT THE SAME TIME

Step 4: ???

Step 5: Both mother and son are happy campers :)

Aug 25, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #42 of 55
They think it's a financially doable hobby of mine. They understand that anything I buy on the secondhand market can be sent out just as quickly if I'm in a money bind. I'm a student on financial aid with no primary source of income and the small collection of gear (mainly Grados) has been with me for years now so even if you added up all the amounts that I've spent, I think it's trivial compared to other hobbies where stuff isn't so liquid whenever you need quick cash.

I told them I own 200 dollar plastic headphones, they said well 200 dollar car speakers probably bring about the same level of excitement except for only an hour or two a day tops, and this doesn't include an amp or a decent source either :)

Same goes for my flashlight and knife hobby too, I'm always shifting gear around depending on what I envision my particular ideal loadout for +/- 20 bucks at a time, I honestly haven't made a HUGE purchase in years

Aug 25, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #43 of 55
This is much cheaper than Cameras or Speakers

My parents don't mind as long as they don't see me carrying new equipment every other week. I a year I got a new DAC, Amp, CDP, headphones and customs.
In fact my dad enjoyed my XB700s so much he got himself a HD598, and gave me a W5000 as a graduation present.

Aug 25, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #44 of 55

College/Speaker years

Dad: What the hell did you do to the car again?!?! (After seeing I paid someone to fiberglass home-audio sized tweeters onto the A-pillars)

---

Nowadays

Dad to my brother: (I'll) Borrow the Grado. And your iPod (Touch), my Shuffle's battery's dead...no I don't want your brother's iPod, the controls are a little funky (Rockbox) and it doesn't have a touchscreen...no I don't want his Korean touchscreen player either!  :p

He's been a casual audio enthusiast since he was in high school, but he only had a big problem with speakers. Too impractical to use save for ambient sound as far as he's concerned.

Oct 30, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #45 of 55
Mum: "Why did you spent 200£ on headphones?! there are fine ones for 20£ easy!"
Dad: "Yeah, you should've just asked for advice, we would've found something cheaper"
*Mum walks away*
Dad: "Well done, son - I'm proud that you're getting some proper equipment since you use it so much!" *high five*

--my dad likes my audiophillia.. just not when mum's around xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back