What desktop amp for <$200 and better than my head-six?
Jan 30, 2008 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

johnanderson

100+ Head-Fier
Because I most of my music listening is done from home I decided that a portable amp might not be the best way to get the most out of my cans, especially my current HD650's. I was more of a portable amp person so I'm pretty new to desktops and don't really know what the best amp for my setup would be. I have the head-six right now and have been listening to that out of my AV710 DAC. I'm kinda on the fence right now since getting a desktop amp would require me to sell the head-six and probably spend some extra cash, cash I don't have since I just bought two new headphones. Here is my current setup:

Cans: AD700, Denon D2000, HD650, DT770

Source: Chaintech AV710 output Wolfson DAC

Music: All 192 CBR mp3's

If I wont hear a difference between the head-six and a cheap desktop amp then I'm just going to keep the head-six. Otherwise please recommend me a good desktop amp for the price I listed. I'm also open to DIY if the costs are cheap and the build is not particularly hard.

Jan 31, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #7 of 10
CKIII and the Gilmore might be out of my budget. I would be glad to get either for <$200 but that might be a little impossible
biggrin.gif
I was thinking about building myself a Millet Hybrid since I seem to have alot of free time now. How does this compare with my Head-six?

Jan 31, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnanderson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CKIII and the Gilmore might be out of my budget. I would be glad to get either for <$200 but that might be a little impossible
biggrin.gif
I was thinking about building myself a Millet Hybrid since I seem to have alot of free time now. How does this compare with my Head-six?

You can easily build a CKKIII for under $200! Search for headfi member 'jrossel'...he sells CKKIII kits that will make your build easier.

Jan 31, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the original master was a good, cheap desktop headphone amp... discontinued now though =(

Original Master amps are still sold by AAA-Audio. It's 200 shipped, which technically isn't "under 200" but I think it's close enough
tongue.gif
Great amp BTW, just got one recently.

Feb 1, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #10 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back