What cheap < 50~100€ portable rechargable amp
Apr 23, 2010 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

RPGWiZaRD

Headphoneus Supremus
What's a good choice for already easily driven cheaper headphones (32 ohm, 100dB+ sens, 50 - $100 headphone range pretty much), that's rechargable either by USB (will mostly use with comp so this would be ideal) or AC adapter and preferable small and light and a plus if it's got some EQ function, bass booster or whatever but that's not a requirement at all.

Is Gary's PA2V2 the best choice in this category? I see this forum seems to heavily recommend these but he's located in the US so would have to ship all the way to Finland which is quite long distance but I'd do it if it was worth it. Any other good more easier-to-find universal choices perhaps?

I already kinda ruled out FiiO E5 because while the concept, it's got exactly everything I was looking for, size, connectivity/usb recharging, bass boost etc, it seems like the sound quality isn't very good and I don't intend to use it with IEMs, rather mid to fullsize cheaper headphones.

Apr 23, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #2 of 20
I can't think of a better bang for buck, unless you're patient and watch the F/S
forums. And Gary is actually in Canada. Is the Fiio E5 available closer to you? It's better than you'd expect for 20 dollars. And has a bass boost.

Apr 23, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #3 of 20
Well I can buy the FiiO E5 from a site in Finland that imports them from Hong Kong for a total cost of 20 EUR and 1 week's delivery time. Gary's runs for $60 (+ the shipping cost to Finland I suppose but fitting in a airmail parcel should be relatively cheap).

I'm just worried about hissing noise and that some people say it's almost like the quality becomes worse than it improves with the FiiO E5.
tongue.gif
:

Apr 23, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #5 of 20
Yea I was gonna do that right now, will then decide my next move depending on his reply.

Apr 23, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #6 of 20
I bought a PA2v2 from Gary, and it was 60$ including the shipping cost. You shouldn't worry about shipping, it is really cheap.

You really get a good sounding amp for 60$, play with the gain a bit to adjust the hiss and power depending on your setup.

Apr 23, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 20
I might go for this PA2V2 based on the good feedback it's got and the fact that Gary is one of a kind when it comes to customer service. What a quick and thorough answer to my questions I got and such politeness! He doesn't even charge any higher when shipping abroad.
redface.gif
Due to the US AC adapter doesn't fit over here he said he could ship it without the adapter for $56, that's like 42 EUR, a steal IMO concidering most electronics over here cost about same and quite often more than the US price figure even if it's in EUR!

Just have to find some suitable AC/DC Converter, it seems to be hard to find some chargers that match the exact specifications

Output Voltage: 3 Volts DC
Output Current: 200 Milliamps or greater
Plug Size: A 2.5mm male mono plug with a Negative Tip polarity.

Most adapters here use female plug and are often greater than 3V DC output, 3V being the minimum. Luckily there's quite a few universal adapters adjustable output level 3~12V or so with changeable plugs and these run at around 8 ~ 15 EUR so that's acceptable.

I'm just not quite sure it's worth the hazzle, could simply order the FiiO E5 and be fine, recharging over USB would be better in my case too...

I'm worried about the sound quality and hissing though. Is the PA2V2 really that much better than Fiio E5 in this regard?

Apr 23, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I can buy the FiiO E5 from a site in Finland that imports them from Hong Kong for a total cost of 20 EUR and 1 week's delivery time. Gary's runs for $60 (+ the shipping cost to Finland I suppose but fitting in a airmail parcel should be relatively cheap).

I'm just worried about hissing noise and that some people say it's almost like the quality becomes worse than it improves with the FiiO E5.
tongue.gif
:

I bought an E5 with my new HD 25-1s and it really did make a difference. The bass boost is nice every once in awhile too. I'd honestly say get both, the E5 is cheap, and so small that you may want to use it on a day you just don't feel like hauling the Gary's around.

Oh, and I was also worried about this hiss, and I've heard none from my E5 so far.

Apr 23, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #10 of 20
I don't actually gonna move this around, well for 90% of the time anyway but it's mainly the price (seems to be more bang-for-the-buck) and size and that I can still use it like a full size amp but take it easily with me if I'd need it sometimes that I concider a more portable option and these are only gonna be used with sub $100 headphones so didn't feel like getting a full size that usually cost a bit more than the headphones themselves would if you want some decent stuff.

But since E5 is so cheap I might just order both and compare them. Then I'd get the definitive answer.

Apr 24, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #12 of 20
Another vouch for Gary! Stunning service and an all round great guy.
I have had my amp for almost a month, no hiss, no problems whatsoever and it powers my K701'a wonderfully.
I would highly recommend Gary
beerchug.gif

Apr 24, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might go for this PA2V2 based on the good feedback it's got and the fact that Gary is one of a kind when it comes to customer service. What a quick and thorough answer to my questions I got and such politeness! He doesn't even charge any higher when shipping abroad.
redface.gif
Due to the US AC adapter doesn't fit over here he said he could ship it without the adapter for $56, that's like 42 EUR, a steal IMO concidering most electronics over here cost about same and quite often more than the US price figure even if it's in EUR!

Just have to find some suitable AC/DC Converter, it seems to be hard to find some chargers that match the exact specifications

Output Voltage: 3 Volts DC
Output Current: 200 Milliamps or greater
Plug Size: A 2.5mm male mono plug with a Negative Tip polarity.

Most adapters here use female plug and are often greater than 3V DC output, 3V being the minimum. Luckily there's quite a few universal adapters adjustable output level 3~12V or so with changeable plugs and these run at around 8 ~ 15 EUR so that's acceptable.

I'm just not quite sure it's worth the hazzle, could simply order the FiiO E5 and be fine, recharging over USB would be better in my case too...

I'm worried about the sound quality and hissing though. Is the PA2V2 really that much better than Fiio E5 in this regard?

Actually you don't really need an expensive charger (8 - 15 euro). You can just buy AA battery packs including charger. When the battery is dead, which probably will take a long time (100 hours), you can just open the amp pull out the battery and charge it with your own charger.

Apr 24, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazzyfi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually you don't really need an expensive charger (8 - 15 euro). You can just buy AA battery packs including charger. When the battery is dead, which probably will take a long time (100 hours), you can just open the amp pull out the battery and charge it with your own charger.

I'm too lazy for that.
tongue.gif
I want to have it plugged in all the time when I use it with the comp so I don't have to worry about charging. Gary himself said he use his amp 90~95% of the time this way.
regular_smile .gif

Apr 24, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #15 of 20
There, went ahead and ordered the PA2V2 minus the AC adapter for $56 shipped to Finland by insured airmail (feels like a steal).
smily_headphones1.gif

It's really true that Gary has to be among the most kind business people that exists. Very inspiring IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back