What Cables for Audeze LCD-2?
Jul 27, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #16 of 160

Quote:
WW is an all silver line IIRC? But I don't know how to reterminate these things myself (and learning to DIY is behind a long list of other things I'd like to take time to learn). I'll keep WW in mind tho since classical performance is a high priority for my rig.

I got a custom cable made by Robert at Aphrodite Cu29. Here is the link:http://aphroditecu29.com/Zeus/OCC_Copper_Headphone_Cable.aspx

The cable he used is the Wireworld Ohno Continuous Cast Copper. I don't know if WW makes a solid silver version of this cable. If they do, that could be interesting.

Jul 28, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #17 of 160
Thanks for the heads up about the mini-XLR.  I don't believe Drew has ever messed with an AN-Vx IC cable.  I think your're right about it being hard to terminate because of the litz construction (many woven strands).  I'll have to write AN(UK) and see if they have heard of anyone making that connection.  The cables are in the US, now, and it could be done there or here.

Yes, it's quite light.  I think you can see it on http://www.audionote.co.uk if you look on products and then cables.

Jul 29, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #18 of 160
Any cheap silver plated cable for the lcd 2? 125$ is the minumum i found, and it's way too much for me. I don't know why they don't offer silver plated cables for 25$ like hifiman
biggrin.gif
Personally, i prefer a little bright sound, and it would be nice if they'd give choice between very neutral and a little more bright.

Jul 29, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #19 of 160
Well the stock cable will most likely be enough unless you are wanting to spend at least $125 for a DIY cable. $125 is cheap for a custom cable anyway. You are usually looking at $250-$300 for a quality recable from a professional.

Jul 29, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #20 of 160

Quote:
Any cheap silver plated cable for the lcd 2? 125$ is the minumum i found, and it's way too much for me. I don't know why they don't offer silver plated cables for 25$ like hifiman
biggrin.gif
Personally, i prefer a little bright sound, and it would be nice if they'd give choice between very neutral and a little more bright.

My own personal preference would be to get a good copper cable in preference to silver coated.  Save up.  I use Moon's Black Dragon cable on my K-701s. I am quite pleased.  They cost about twice what you have.

Jul 30, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #22 of 160
I wanted to add about "bright".  Copper cables can be warmer than silver cables, but they are not usually bright.  With silver, I think one takes more of a gamble, because a) they can be more revealing and magnify the best and worst aspects of your source and b) they can range from very bright to neutral; in other words, there is more variability in their balance.

Aug 2, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #23 of 160

Quote:
Mine was a less then the ALO cable. Give Robert a shout, he's usually quick to respond.

Another option would be to build your own. I know at least one other Head-Fi'er built one out of pre-braided solid silver cable from Home Grown Audio. That would probably be a great option, as good quality solid silver would probably sound nice with these phones.

Any more details, perhaps a link with the solid core silver cables - how they were constructed, etc?

Quote:
I wanted to add about "bright".  Copper cables can be warmer than silver cables, but they are not usually bright.  With silver, I think one takes more of a gamble, because a) they can be more revealing and magnify the best and worst aspects of your source and b) they can range from very bright to neutral; in other words, there is more variability in their balance.

The only experience I have is solid silver interconnects - I do not find them bright - they open up the treble, mid and bass, very neutral - very quick.  Perhaps strand silver is defferent.  Perhaps the reputation of silver has been tarnished by the numerous cheap silver plated copper cables - which I have never heard any that did not suckout and the midrange soundstage and slow sown the midrange transient as well - giving an illusion of boosted highs.  Better of with straight copper than silver plating I reckon.

Aug 3, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #24 of 160
Actually I plan to by a silver hybrid from APS without worry. This is because the electrical charge travels along the outer edge of the cable (not it's core). So one can save a bit of money. I've heard of other high-end cable manufactures carefully polish the outside of their cables. This is a process borrowed from military-grade electronics (so even the military thinks cables make a difference).

Multistrand versus solid core is the interesting debate. Multistrand is cheaper and has better geometry (more flexible etc.)-- I'm using a multistrand furutech now--but solid core only has one edge so gives slightly better quality (less interference), but it's more expensive to manufacture a high-grade pure core. Because headphone cables need to be more flexible than cables snuck behind a cabinet, they are almost universally multistrand designs.

Aug 11, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #25 of 160
If making DIY, where to get and which particular connectors would you recommend? Mini-xlr to the cans (right?), 4pin XLR to my amp.

Aug 13, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #26 of 160
You should all try audiophile air as an upgrade for the LCD-2, instead of lesser upgrades such as cables.
There is a great company, called Ripoffo Enterprises that provides this service.

You need to supply your own compressed air tank, but they will come, with a truck, and deliver air that was harvested for the top of any mountain of your choosing, Everest, Kilamanjaro, Himalayas etc. (so you know it is pure). Then what you do is you release some of it into each cup of the LCD-2 before each listening session.
Now, since this air is so much purer than the regular air found in your home, you will notice transient response like no other, as well as a very open and neutral sound. Because air is see-through, it is also very transparent, making it great for audio usage.

They charge about 100$ a cubic inch, and you have to fill up a minimum of 1000 square inches at a time.
I am sure you will all agree it is a great deal.

Other than that, throwing 20$ at homeless people is a great way to use your money. It allows you to feel benevolent, which is a state that is very conducive to great listening sessions.

Aug 13, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #27 of 160
Yeah... the stuff's great!  Incredible clarity and transparency!  And... bass you won't believe!

I just got a 1000 cubic inches last week, and have plenty left to share with anyone that want's some for half that price. 

Just let me know, and I'll ship a box full right out to you!

Aug 13, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #28 of 160

Hey man looks like you believe in cables too however?

"I really like these cables, they are very well built and have a nice black background. The online review are very good."

quote from here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/486009/fs-black-sand-z1-violet-and-mkv-silver-reference

Quote:
You should all try audiophile air as an upgrade for the LCD-2, instead of lesser upgrades such as cables.
There is a great company, called Ripoffo Enterprises that provides this service.

You need to supply your own compressed air tank, but they will come, with a truck, and deliver air that was harvested for the top of any mountain of your choosing, Everest, Kilamanjaro, Himalayas etc. (so you know it is pure). Then what you do is you release some of it into each cup of the LCD-2 before each listening session.
Now, since this air is so much purer than the regular air found in your home, you will notice transient response like no other, as well as a very open and neutral sound. Because air is see-through, it is also very transparent, making it great for audio usage.

They charge about 100$ a cubic inch, and you have to fill up a minimum of 1000 square inches at a time.
I am sure you will all agree it is a great deal.

Other than that, throwing 20$ at homeless people is a great way to use your money. It allows you to feel benevolent, which is a state that is very conducive to great listening sessions.

Aug 13, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #29 of 160

Quote:
Hey man looks like you believe in cables too however?

"I really like these cables, they are very well built and have a nice black background. The online review are very good."

quote from here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/486009/fs-black-sand-z1-violet-and-mkv-silver-reference

Yeah I have openly stated I used to be in cables serveral times around these forums. Earlier today too, if you must know...

I am also trying to SELL these cables if you haven't noticed... Just repeating the same words that people use to describe them.

and FWIW I do feel a little guilty selling them when I no longer believe in cables, but I need to free up funds for a new source.

Aug 13, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #30 of 160
ahh, so do they have a "nice black background"?  :wink:  just messin with you, its all good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back