What Cables for Audeze LCD-2?
May 27, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #151 of 160
  To all of LCD-2 owners who still listen to their phones with the stock cable, I will say this: You have absolutely no clue of what these marvelous headphones are capables of. NO JOKE!

I bought a used pair of LCD-2v2 used about three years and a half ago. I instantly ordered a Norse Audio (now Norne Audio) Norn V2 8 conductors balanced cable for around 240$ at the time. The cable was made of OCC copper. The difference with the stock cable wasn't really subtle but to be fair, the aftermarket Norse was balanced and the stock SE. For the next three years I never looked back. Until about six months ago when I started to look for a longer cable as I was moving my set-up from my room to the living room (no more desktop system). I saw a nearly new Audiosensibility Statement cable of 11 feet for sale on a canadaian audio site. The cable is made of 7N OCC silver. I know Audiosensibility products and the owner Steven Huang as I had previously had the chance to try and now own As IC's and USB cable. Fortunately, the seller was a guy living close from my house. He accepted to land me the cable to try and compare with the Norse copper cable.

Wow!!! What a revelation it was! All the comments about recessed soundstage, slight treble drop off, fat bass often heard about LCD-2 are no more valids here. It's absolutely incredible how much the sound opens wirth the silver cable. It became much faster too and as you can guess, the détails and resolution jump in your face as never before. But all that with the same smooth and non fatiguing presentation if that make sense. The PRaT was immensely improved too. It's really like I was listening to a LCD-3 Fazor but even more open (I had the chance to compare the 3F to my 2v2 for two weeks last year).

LCD-2 owners, do yourself a favor. Try a good silver cable with your 2. I'm absolutely convinced that you will be really impressed by the result. I should have done that three years before!

I just ordered a audio sensibility cable on your recommendation for my LCD-2 . I am hoping for big things.

Sep 28, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #152 of 160
  To all of LCD-2 owners who still listen to their phones with the stock cable, I will say this: You have absolutely no clue of what these marvelous headphones are capables of. NO JOKE!

I bought a used pair of LCD-2v2 used about three years and a half ago. I instantly ordered a Norse Audio (now Norne Audio) Norn V2 8 conductors balanced cable for around 240$ at the time. The cable was made of OCC copper. The difference with the stock cable wasn't really subtle but to be fair, the aftermarket Norse was balanced and the stock SE. For the next three years I never looked back. Until about six months ago when I started to look for a longer cable as I was moving my set-up from my room to the living room (no more desktop system). I saw a nearly new Audiosensibility Statement cable of 11 feet for sale on a canadaian audio site. The cable is made of 7N OCC silver. I know Audiosensibility products and the owner Steven Huang as I had previously had the chance to try and now own As IC's and USB cable. Fortunately, the seller was a guy living close from my house. He accepted to land me the cable to try and compare with the Norse copper cable.

Wow!!! What a revelation it was! All the comments about recessed soundstage, slight treble drop off, fat bass often heard about LCD-2 are no more valids here. It's absolutely incredible how much the sound opens wirth the silver cable. It became much faster too and as you can guess, the détails and resolution jump in your face as never before. But all that with the same smooth and non fatiguing presentation if that make sense. The PRaT was immensely improved too. It's really like I was listening to a LCD-3 Fazor but even more open (I had the chance to compare the 3F to my 2v2 for two weeks last year).

LCD-2 owners, do yourself a favor. Try a good silver cable with your 2. I'm absolutely convinced that you will be really impressed by the result. I should have done that three years before!

Sure hope you're right, I just ordered a silver Statement.  I'm loving my LCD-2's so far, even though I'm only about 30 hrs in (on everything, I also bought a Mjolnir 2 and put iFi 6922's in it, and a Cambridge Audio azur 851D DAC).  I do sometimes sense a "veil" with some recordings that I hope to eliminate.  I use the Amarra playback software on mac mini that is now a dedicated music server and it has a pretty good EQ ability, so I can dial the "veil" out many times, but I would prefer a more organic method.  The EQ even has an LCD-2 preset, though it doesn't sound like the best preset to use on every recording.  My current cord is the Audeze balanced one.  Excited to try out the Statement.

Oct 3, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #153 of 160
Sure hope you're right, I just ordered a silver Statement.  I'm loving my LCD-2's so far, even though I'm only about 30 hrs in (on everything, I also bought a Mjolnir 2 and put iFi 6922's in it, and a Cambridge Audio azur 851D DAC).  I do sometimes sense a "veil" with some recordings that I hope to eliminate.  I use the Amarra playback software on mac mini that is now a dedicated music server and it has a pretty good EQ ability, so I can dial the "veil" out many times, but I would prefer a more organic method.  The EQ even has an LCD-2 preset, though it doesn't sound like the best preset to use on every recording.  My current cord is the Audeze balanced one.  Excited to try out the Statement.

So how was it?

Oct 6, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #155 of 160
I just wanted something quality and shorter than stock. I ordered from Chris Lacour, www.c3audio.com
5 foot AUDEZE LCD HEADPHONE CABLE -- UPOCC
Very happy with them!

Oct 19, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #157 of 160

So how was it?

Won't know for a while yet.  Haven't received it.  I'll update once I've had sufficient listening time to form an opinion.

Ok, so still early but I'm already hearing exactly what I'd hoped for.  The "veil" is already much lighter and I only have 5 or 6 hours on the new cable.  I should say that the first time trying it, giving only 30 minutes to heat the amp up before I started listening, I was horrified.  It truly sounded much worse than the stock Audeze balanced cable I had been used to.  Grainy and strained is the best way I could describe it. I was kicking myself for spending so much.  But I knew I had to give it time to burn in before making any decisions on what to do.  I had no idea the burn in would start happening so quickly.  I let it play for 3 hrs, turned everything off to cool down, then later started back up again.  I started hearing some incremental improvements already and listened for a couple of hours.  Today I again gave the amp the usual 30 minutes to warm up (while playing music), then started listening, with both my old cable sound and the previous night's "new" sound fresh in my mind.  I was kind of shocked at how much better it sounded already, only 5.5 hrs in.  I thought maybe it was just the recording so I started skipping around to others.  Nope, not just the recording, so far they all sound much better.  Now, again, my main goal was to eliminate the veil and to a lesser extent tighten the bass just a bit.  Well, we're off to a great start on the veil elimination and I think it can only get better as I go.  I'm not hearing as much difference yet in the bass response, maybe just very slight, but I'm already sold on the cable so we'll see if that also improves over time.  Overall, I've gone from being pretty unhappy to pretty satisfied in short order.  Props to Steven Huang at Audio Sensibility for helping me with a slight issue with my order.  He really went above and beyond to help me out and make me happy.

Oct 24, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #158 of 160
I am about to purchase the Noir Hybrid HPC from Forza Audioworks, with XLR termination and a extender with XLR to 3.5mm ViaBlue. Will use it with the balanced Schiit Jotunheim in the future, and with a Dragonfly Red until then.

This retails for about €400, and this a absolutely crazy amount of money to spend on a cable, I think, at least as a student.

I can not find any cheaper alternative, nor any used ones on the marketplace (import from the US is expensive). Any thoughts on this purchase?

Oct 31, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #159 of 160
Just got a Q Cable for my LCD-2 Fazors and love it so far. Seems to make the soundstage more open. 
Paired with a Micca OriGen+ DAC/amp
How much of a difference will adding a Schiit Jotunheim DAC/amp to replace the OriGen make?

Nov 2, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #160 of 160
A few months ago a customer ordered a 2.5 meter long silver headphone cable, 1/4" to mini XLRs, for Audeze LCD-3 headphones.
Pure siilver, cost $270.00.

His comment after he used it a few weeks: "The silver headphone cable you sent for my Audeze LCD-3 headphones are superb sounding.
Another few layers have been unmasked. I wanted to thank you for the quality of your product, the value and sound. Wonderful".

These are not listed in my main menu which consists of interconnects, but I also make many other types of cables as special orders.
Several have been for headpphone cxables, plus I made some for my own modified (with mini XLR jack) A-T ATM 50's which I use
with my Astell-Kern  AK-120.

Marc Stager
Stager Sound Systems,

New York City

http://stagersound.com/silver

Users who are viewing this thread

Back