What Book Are you Reading?
Dec 30, 2003 at 3:07 PM Post #61 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by Sentral Dogma
KR..., about the Elegant Universe

this is the second time I'm trying to read it. The first time i got about halfway, and i have to reread the beginning because, well, i forgot most of what i read. The fact that I couldn't get through it the first time means something, but the fact that I'm still trying to read it means something as well. It's not technically difficult, but its geared towards the bench-scientist(good for me). I can take the wilder concepts pretty well, as I am pretty open minded.

Anyway, its interesting and recomended.

This book is quite simply required reading for anyone curious about the current thinkings in physics.

There is another excellent book for the "bench-scientist" entitled The Particle Hunters (by Nee'man and Kirsh). This book tackles elemental physics from another angle -- the experimental discovery and investigation of particles that make up matters and transmit forces. Easy to follow and riveting.

Dec 31, 2003 at 2:08 AM Post #62 of 92
I just finished lullaby by chuck palihnuk. Hope to acquire some philip k. dick books next time around.

Jan 2, 2004 at 5:15 AM Post #64 of 92
Since I last posted, I started Stephen King's fifth instalment of the Dark Tower series: The Dark Tower V: The Wolves of Calla.

Later.

Jan 20, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #65 of 92
Book Six of the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher titled: Blood Rites

Has story line of the only wizard in the Chicago yellow pages and the pacing of a louie lamour novel (very fast pacing).

Great series.

Jan 20, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #66 of 92
Right now I'm re-reading Patriot Games by Tom Clancy, and I just finished At All Costs by David Weber. Both are great books.
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #67 of 92
Just finished The Three Musketeers by A. Dumas, wonderful novel of intrigue, and actually it is quite a tragic novel.

Amazing how completely different the world was just couple of centuries ago. Not only no internet, but no telephone, not even air mail. To send a simple message between Paris and London took a messenger more than two weeks to get there and then come back with a response! Imagine what a different life! Some times reading the classics gives you quite a perspective between how much the world has changed in the last couple of centuries vs. in the last couple of decades.

PS. If Umbridge was a darn evil woman in Harry Potter V, you have to read about Milady in the Tree Musketeers. Milady has a very sharp mind, but the worst part is, and as opposed to Umbridge, Milady is a beautiful woman, voluptuous and sensual.

Jan 20, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #68 of 92
I actually have a couple of books going - at home I am re-reading "The Mote In God's Eye" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. At work I just started Sinclair Lewis' "It Can't Happen Here".

Does anyone else re-read books as much as I do? I often revisit books I love, with years between readings. It's amazing to me the different ways I see things now compared to my teens and twenties. Heinlein is a favorite to re-read, I always find a different light to see him in as I get older.

I also believe it's a sin to throw away a book. I have books I bought in High School, and I turn 48 this week.

A_Sr.

Jan 20, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #69 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by ai0tron
Hocus Pocus by Kurt Vonnegut (for the third time) I do love vonnegut.

Me too though HP might be one of my least favorite.
CPW

Jan 20, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #70 of 92
Clive Cussler's latest opus (I think), "Polar Shift" with Nelson DeMille's "Night Fall" on deck. Just finished "The Lion's Game" and the main character, John Corey is funny as hell!!!!

Jan 20, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #71 of 92
I just recently finished American Gods by Neil Gaiman and Reading in the Dark by Sean Dean (i think that is his name) Both are very good books that have darkness, Humor and Depth.

Jan 20, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #72 of 92
I'm recently big on short stories, so I'm on "The Complete Stories of Truman Capote." I ordered "Where I'm Calling From: Selected Stories" by Raymond Carver a couple of weeks ago and will get to it once I'm finished with the Capote book.

Jan 20, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #73 of 92
I'm reading Bucking the Sun by Ivan Doig. I really like Doig's books, I think this is the fifth one of his that I've read.

I also just finished The Cobra Event by Richard Preston (author of The Hot Zone) which was a really interesting read. It was a great thriller of a book, I read it in less than a day (last Sunday).

I usually try to get in a book a week, on average, but sometimes I just don't seem to have the time to read that much. Lately I've been getting in a couple hours a night, which has been great. Reading is one of my favorite things to do, even more so than listening to music (while, maybe about equal). I love just getting lost in a book.

Jan 20, 2006 at 6:28 AM Post #74 of 92
Fortune's Favorites, the 3rd book in the Masters of Rome series by Colleen McCullough.

You know that HBO series, Rome, that tries to tell the story of the fall of the republic, only they jump in at the wrong time and not only can't get basic Latin right, but accuracy as well? Which wouldn't be so bad, accept that if they tried to be remotely close, the story would be so much better than it is? And it's a shame because the sets and costumes are let down by a complete ignorance of any historical facts at all...

Well, Colleen's McCullough starts the story where it should start, and she has some regard for what really happened, and for the things she changes, she'll even defend them at the end of the book, like slipping in a historical hypothesis. But besides that, she knows what she's doing while those Rome idiots don't have a clue.

If you want to read something that takes that series and stomps it into the ground and spits on its grave, read the Masters of Rome series.

First Man in Rome
The Grass Crown
Fortune's Favorites
Caesar's Women
Caesar
The October Horse

Users who are viewing this thread

Back