What Book Are you Reading?
Sep 16, 2003 at 12:28 PM Post #46 of 92
I've just finished reading REBEL CODE by Glyn Moody. It's all about the rise of Open Source Software movement and the history Linux in general.

I have two others on the go. DOGHOUSE ROSES by STEVE EARLE. This is a collection of short stories that reads very like a modern day urban cowboy book. It tells tales of the underdogs of society and their personal fight for survival on a daily basis. This is the Musician STEVE EARLE.

I have SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE by KURT VONEGUT lined up next. This is one man's horrific account of the Dresden Firebombing in the second World War.

Alongside my bed I have the following:

Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler. Needs no introduction. Before anybody flames me for mentioning this here. This book is a fascinating look into the mind of Adolf Hitler and provides an insight into the reasoning why the Second World War took place.

Cold War. Not sure who wrote this but it is the companion book to the TV Series narrated by Kenneth Brannagh

The Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich. This is a definitive history of the IIIrd Reich and again explains a lot of what happened in europe during the years in the run up to the 2nd World War. There is some horrific reading in this book but I find it necessary to read stuff like this lest it be forgotten.

Sep 16, 2003 at 1:22 PM Post #47 of 92
Just started Timeline by Michael Crichton. Looks good so far...

Sep 20, 2003 at 12:35 AM Post #48 of 92
kwkwarth,

Great choice! You'll like Timeline. I'm a big Crichton fan.

I'm reading the Hades Factor by Robert Ludlum. He's another one of my favorites
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2003 at 1:57 AM Post #50 of 92
I'm rereading the Lord of the Rings starting with Fellowship of the Ring in order to prepare for the third movie this December. I last read them when I was like 12 so I think I'll get a lot more out of them this time..

Sep 20, 2003 at 1:58 AM Post #51 of 92
"Hyperion" is awesome. Just wait till you
get to "Fall of Hyperion"; it kept me
up all night. The next two books in the
series "Endymion" and "Rise of Endymion" are great
also.

Simmons has a new sfi-fi novel: "Ilium".
It's recommended as well...

btw, one of the best "science for the masses" (thermodynamics) books
I've read is "The Refrigerator and the Universe". Goldstein and Goldstein, Harvard press.

Sep 20, 2003 at 4:43 AM Post #52 of 92
I'm in the middle of the giant Wagner biography by Westerhagen.

Just finished -Starship Troopers- by Robert Heinlein. The miserable movie by the same name is only very loosely based on the book, which is very interesting indeed.

Sep 20, 2003 at 7:01 AM Post #53 of 92
I'm right in the middle of "Not Fade Away(A short life well lived)" and I'm really enjoying this one.

Sep 20, 2003 at 7:11 AM Post #54 of 92
OK now I'm engrossed by Richard Cohen's "By The Sword: A History of Gladiators, Musketeers, Samurai, Swashbucklers and Olympic Champions". I used to fence in college and I've always love Toshiro Mifune samurai flicks, so this book is tailor made for me.

Did you know that St. Ignatius Loyola, Michelangelo, Shakespeare, Descartes, Milton, Goethe, Handel, Karl Marx, General Patton and Harry Truman were all fencers?

Sep 20, 2003 at 8:23 AM Post #55 of 92
still reading zen and the art of motorcycle maintanance from the other thread
biggrin.gif
almost finished now but haven't done any bedside reading for the past weeks
frown.gif
it just sucks because i can't listen to headphones and read at the same time because i can't concentrate on two things!

Sep 21, 2003 at 3:52 AM Post #57 of 92
Recently finished a big reading spree over a month that mostly included Haruki Murakami's works: Norweigen Wood, South of the Border West of the Sun, After the Quake, The Elephant Vanishes, A Wild Sheep Chase. Also Nick Hornby's About A Boy, and High Fidelity.

Dec 28, 2003 at 4:47 PM Post #58 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by Welly Wu
Laura Hillenbrand, Seabiscuit

Great nonfiction book! This book followed me up to hunting camp for the Spaniels' Fall Vacation in October. SWMBO originally bought it at the airport to take on a business trip. A great read of a wonderful story that includes much of the history of horse racing in this country and some great period characters. Unfortunately, the movie is not nearly as good. Book had sections of great period photographs. The best book I've read in a long time that was written by a woman.
eek.gif

Dec 29, 2003 at 6:35 PM Post #60 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr
Right now I am reading "One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and it is just right. A wonderfully well-written and astoundingly odd fairy-tale like novel. I am 250 pages into it and I only started it last week. I am a slow reader, so this must mean it is a page turner!

That's actually one of my favorite novels. A few friends handed it to me saying it was 'a challenge', due to the family relations, but somehow I kept track of it all easily enough.

I've been meaning to read "Unbearable Lightness of Being" since I got the Criterion Collection DVD as a gift.

Quote:

Originally posted by Ptrick
(A whole lot of Haruki Murakami books!)

That made me smile to see another Murakami fan on the forum. I actually gave away a few copies of "Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World" as Christmas presents this year, as it's my fave Murakami novel.

I've been reading Joseph Heller's "Catch-22" and re-reading J.G. Ballard's "Atrocity Exhibition" as of late. I might go through Mark Z. Danielewski's "House of Leaves" again (another book I've given away copies of for Christmas), as even though it's intellectual wank and word puzzles, the entire concept and execution pushes almost every button I have for compulsive reading.

I'm debating picking up the new Chuck Palahniuk, "Diary", even though I was disappointed by "Lullaby".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back