What Book Are you Reading?
Aug 24, 2003 at 4:52 AM Post #16 of 92
0596002726.01._PE30_PI_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Because I realized that feeling in the dark is not the way to go.

Aug 24, 2003 at 4:57 AM Post #17 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Riz: The original guide and the second one are good (restaurant), but the other's really do stink imho. Reading them became drudgery.

Thanks for the rec, andrzej. I thought about picking up the big book of all 5 volumes when I was in B&N, but then I decided it'd be better to just go with the first and see if I liked it. Sounds like another example of a series being dragged on longer than it should be..

Aug 24, 2003 at 5:05 AM Post #18 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
JMT - Audiogon has a catalog? Or do you mean AudioSomethingElse?

AudioSomethingElse

Boy, do I feel like an idiot. Corrected the post.

Aug 24, 2003 at 5:07 AM Post #19 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
Thanks for the rec, andrzej. I thought about picking up the big book of all 5 volumes when I was in B&N, but then I decided it'd be better to just go with the first and see if I liked it. Sounds like another example of a series being dragged on longer than it should be..

yeah, that's what I picked up, it's the "Ultimate Guide," iirc. The rest of the books just drag on about his spiraling depression.

Aug 24, 2003 at 5:16 AM Post #20 of 92
I disagree. Douglas Adams has a great sense of humour that never gets old. I do agree that the first couple were the best, but...just another HO.

Aug 24, 2003 at 7:52 AM Post #22 of 92
I just finished Aztec by Gary Jennings.

It is a historical novel about the Aztecs at the time of the Spanish conquest. If you like historical novels, this book is fascinating.

Aug 24, 2003 at 10:40 AM Post #23 of 92
I just finished "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" by Milan Kundera at Carlo's recommendation. It was quite good and a quick read. Perhaps a few too many "ideas" for me. I am not big on abstract ideas in the novels I read...I just like good stories with good writing. Right before that I read Thomas Mann's "Death in Venice" which was more along my lines, except it was almost too baroque. Right now I am reading "One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and it is just right. A wonderfully well-written and astoundingly odd fairy-tale like novel. I am 250 pages into it and I only started it last week. I am a slow reader, so this must mean it is a page turner!

I am surprised so many people here are doing Sci-Fi/Fantasy...I'm with K.R...there are way too many classics to start reading really modern stuff (even if all the books I listed were 20th century, they are all already classics). Once I have tackled the classics, then I will go after contemporary writing.

Aug 24, 2003 at 5:36 PM Post #25 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by stuartr
I am surprised so many people here are doing Sci-Fi/Fantasy...I'm with K.R...there are way too many classics to start reading really modern stuff (even if all the books I listed were 20th century, they are all already classics). Once I have tackled the classics, then I will go after contemporary writing.

I have read classics, I was forced to when I was younger. Certainly not all of them. Anyway, you should read what you like and read a lot of it. Why restrict yourself to older books that someone has deemed "classics"?

Just my take on it.

Aug 24, 2003 at 6:43 PM Post #26 of 92
I just started reading a new book called "Hyperion". Seems like a cool book so far. Guess LOTR will have to wait!

Aug 24, 2003 at 6:45 PM Post #27 of 92
Reading absolutely nothing until Tor finally catches up with production deadlines, GRRM finally writes his book, and Jordan finally finishes his damn series!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Aug 24, 2003 at 10:00 PM Post #28 of 92
i've been meaning to get into The Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy...

anyway, I'm reading The Elegant Universe by Brain Greene. About Super-string theory. Physics for the masses(no equations). Before that i read To Kill a MockingBird. Before that I read the Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson.

Aug 24, 2003 at 10:22 PM Post #29 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by Sentral Dogma
i've been meaning to get into The Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy...

Sentra Dogma, Another recommendation for HHGTTG. I read it and the other books in the series (The Restaurant at the End of the Universe / Life, the Universe and Everything / So Long, and Thanks for the Fish) years ago and just got the four in one paperback to read again eventually (it also includes Mostly Harmless which I haven't read yet).

Aug 24, 2003 at 10:29 PM Post #30 of 92
I got that four in one as well, hardcover though. Great collector's piece I think and I laughed all the way through.
smily_headphones1.gif

First one is still the best though...as with everything.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back