What beats Sony MDR-1R?
Mar 20, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #121 of 145
Quote:
Quote:
The tonality of the 1R is very different from the V6. The V6 is grainy and a bit harsh in the highs, not a bad headphone but not as refined. The 1R is warmer and sweeter to the ears, better IMO in loud environments because the highs are not as harsh.

Correct and also compared to similar looking sonys these 1r are most comfortable.

Also I have a question, is the "L1" an open type can?
If so then am not shure it should be compared to these and instead the sony ma900 wich are open cans.
Correct me if I am wrong.
Dam too many cans out
tongue.gif

You can compare open to closed back. Just because they have different operating principles doesn't mean they cant be compared. Both make sound.

That's like saying that you can't compare a piezoelectric headphone to a dynamic. Or an electrostat to an ortho.

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #122 of 145
You can compare open to closed back. Just because they have different operating principles doesn't mean they cant be compared. Both make sound.

I agree, most of the people think they shouldn't be compared but some closed cans imo sound better than open ones. When computed, only sound should be compared.

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #123 of 145
Alright now these cans are getting me mad. I like them but I liked my $100 citiscape uptowns better. The upturns just seem to have a much wider soundstage and are much more comfortable. What do you guys think I should I do? Should I return the mdr 1rs and get the mdr ma900 w/ fiio e11 or what because these seem like a small downgrade.

Are there any portable comfortable cans that sound marginally better than the uptowns ($200-300)? They must have a larger soundstage though. I know the m100/80, and m100s aren't. It seems that I must get some open cans. Only problem is that ive been hearing that the hd598 and ma900 have little bass. At least not enough for hip hop or pop.

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #124 of 145
Alright now these cans are getting me mad. I like them but I liked my $100 citiscape uptowns better. The upturns just seem to have a much wider soundstage and are much more comfortable. What do you guys think I should I do? Should I return the mdr 1rs and get the mdr ma900 w/ fiio e11 or what because these seem like a small downgrade.

Are there any portable comfortable cans that sound marginally better than the uptowns ($200-300)? They must have a larger soundstage though. I know the m100/80, and m100s aren't. It seems that I must get some open cans. Only problem is that ive been hearing that the hd598 and ma900 have little bass. At least not enough for hip hop or pop.

If you don't like them, you don't like them. If a can isn't making you happy or worse yet, making you angry, you should definitely get rid of them. Again, the MA900 is still a different monster. If that's what you're interested in, maybe ask in the general recommendations thread for something new with some new criteria.

I'll still sitting behind the statement of the 1R being the best closed portable headphones in the $200-350 range, but if you don't like them, ditch them!

Apr 28, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #126 of 145
Just thought I'd add an headphone that has gotten consistantly excellent reviews but has seriously flown under the radar-the Soundmagic HP100. They are large closed cans with a...different look but really do have a great overall package. The sound stage is very good, its a very clear and defined sound that is not warm yet manages to produce excellent bass that goes deep. Not a basshead can but I'd encourage anyone looking at dropping about $200 on a set check out the reviews here. I think they are great sounding. Some say its like the AKG K550 but with bass.

May 3, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #128 of 145
Quote:
Just thought I'd add an headphone that has gotten consistantly excellent reviews but has seriously flown under the radar-the Soundmagic HP100. They are large closed cans with a...different look but really do have a great overall package. The sound stage is very good, its a very clear and defined sound that is not warm yet manages to produce excellent bass that goes deep. Not a basshead can but I'd encourage anyone looking at dropping about $200 on a set check out the reviews here. I think they are great sounding. Some say its like the AKG K550 but with bass.

I hear good things about the HP100. Though I doubt they can be compared directly with the 1-r's simply because of the sheer size of those bad boys! I have just got a set of 1-r's for £80 off eBay (BNIB). In the UK Sony are giving them away with their phones so a LOT of sets are on eBay and at a bargain price. I seen a set go for £70!!! Now if you can find a better can for those prices then good luck to you!!!

I am tempted to try the new AKG551 but again they are a big can. These Sony's are easily the lightest/comfiest can I have ever owned/tried in the size category. My PSB's have it on sound quality but the Sony's have wider soundstage (albeit with less separation) but the fact that they are sheer bliss to wear means they are getting a LOT of headtime. I am very happy with them and they will indeed be my travel can. I am actually lookng to get another set off eBay for the same price, I will leave them boxed as spares at that price!!! Not sure if Sony are doing the same offer in the US but if not then just get them off eBay UK?

May 4, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #129 of 145
I have the Ultrasone Pro 750 and listen a lot to electronica. It's still the unbeaten headphone for this genre.

I tried the MDR-1 yesterday (but only playing from my iPhone not my dac/amp setup) and was pretty impressed. Close to the Ultrasone. And absolutely a winner in the comfort game.

I think Sony has a winner here. However I wouldn't replace my Ultrasones as of yet with it.

May 5, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #130 of 145
Quote:
I have the Ultrasone Pro 750 and listen a lot to electronica. It's still the unbeaten headphone for this genre.

I tried the MDR-1 yesterday (but only playing from my iPhone not my dac/amp setup) and was pretty impressed. Close to the Ultrasone. And absolutely a winner in the comfort game.

I think Sony has a winner here. However I wouldn't replace my Ultrasones as of yet with it.

Kooipep, if you liked them unamped on the iphone, you will seriously like them when amped. I think the iphone is seriously underpowered to drive these.

May 5, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #131 of 145
Quote:
Kooipep, if you liked them unamped on the iphone, you will seriously like them when amped. I think the iphone is seriously underpowered to drive these.

I agree. Would love to try it with my office and home setup. But I didn't have my portable amp with me and it was the only way of comparing. I also tested the Denon AH-D600 and was equally impressed. But the MDR1 was just so amazingly comfortable.

I am very very tempted to stock up my headphone arsenal.....

May 25, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #132 of 145
New MDR-1R owner here. These are getting better the more I listen to them. Have to say many of the reviews on head-fi pushed me to get them, plus I got an incredible deal on them with complete warranty including accidental damage.

Still, I was surprised that one of my current headphones beat it solidly in a couple areas.

For years I've been happy with my Shure SHR-840, and I used it for mainly gaming , piano practice and music production. Oddly, I don't really listen to a lot of music on it. For all the reasons I like it for studio purposes seem to work against it for music enjoyment. They are still awesome headphones though.

My main portable has been a Sony MDR-EX600, but it has mainly been at my office and has not seen enough use. Initially I was impressed with it, but it always seemed quite harsh and sibilant. Adding to this, I find music can be distracting for work, and I've been mostly using them to listen to the Naturespace app on ios, which are binaural environment recordings.

Over the last couple days I've been pitting all of these phones against each other, unamped from an iPhone 4S. I don't have a dedicated headphone amp, but I do have more powerful amps to test on later (rotel, Steinberg UR22, Yamaha P155).

So here are my impressions:

Comfort:

This was one of things that first caught my attention at the Sony Store listening to the MDR-1r, was how comfortable they were. But they feel a bit clampy on my big head, and my old 840s have it beat here. I could wear the 840s for hours and aside from a bit of heft, they are very comfortable. The Mdr-ex600 is also very comfortable, and fits my ears perfectly. I'm thinking over time the 1r will loosen up.

The Shure SRH-840 is the best here, closely followed by the Sony IEM, and then the MDR-1r.

Isolation: none of these headphones isolate too much, but for me the MDR-1r is the better of the three.

Build: the ex600 take this, followed by the Mdr-1r then the 840

Imaging: MDR-1r beats both, followed by the 840 then the ex600. Perhaps the biggest problem with the ex600 is that everything just sounds hard panned, it's hard to position instruments. Tried it out gaming and that was a mistake, the 840s worked fine for modern FPS (csgo, bf3). Made more evident, with the mdr-1r I was able to hear a very natural violin performance right in front of me, not real enough to reach out, but pretty good, whereas the two other headphones couldn't pull this off. For my office applications listening to binaural environment sounds using Naturespace, the MDR-1r is incredible. From the pitter patter of rain, to birds soaring overhead and insects making sounds along the ground, the imaging was solid. They handily beat the ex600 and the 840.

Resolution: MDR-Ex600 edges out the MDR-1r here. The pure sonics of instruments are more clearly reproduced by the ex600, it surprised me and I played a wide range of music and in all cases the ex600 edged out its newer brethren. Wow. I was just starting to appreciate the Ex600 the day I bought the MDR-1r, but wasn't quite sure they were as good as what I was hearing. Overall, my Ex600s have seen little playtime, but I'm starting to really appreciate them. The Mdr-1r are brand new though. So this may change, and actually between these two headphones you get a sense that there is a relation, maybe a Sony sound.

Must be noted that the MDR-1r have a "natural" presentation. Warm but with enough presence. Seem to do better at quieter listening, which is fine by me. Turning up the MDR-1r does not help it, whereas cranking the ex600 just give you more of it what it is, which can be a very good thing for those moments when you need it.

Treble: this is harder for me to evaluate. One thing that turned me off from the Ex600 was that it was ear piercing, whether it was shakers or hats, they seem to scrape in my ear. But lately either I've adjusted or they've changed but they seem much better. I think I'm going to give it to the Mdr-1r just because they are less fatiguing. The ex600 may be more neutral though, but it does sound like something is a bit odd up there.

Mid-range: actually all of these sets are pretty great here. I think I prefer the MDR-1r overall, but more for its overall presentation. The ex600 technically may outperform it here too though.

Bass: okay this where the ex-600 leaves the MDR-1r behind. For a while I've been thinking that I needed more bass quantity out of the ex600, not realizing how good their quality was. Out of all the headphones I've owned, from slamming hd25s to k271, the ex600 is solid, taught and well defined. Comparing it to the MDR-1r I'd be listening to even guitar plucks, acoustic bass notes, and the ex600 had not just more bass presence but hit you emotionally whereas it just wasn't there with the mdr-1r. In one way I'm happy that these little headphones pull this off but sad that my new ones are missing something. Can't have it all in one phone? (well I probably could had I just bought one headphone instead of all of these ).

That said, the MDR-1r is still very enjoyable, and perhaps it is an area amping can improve on. Supposedly its there according to the specs, so we'll see. Actually even now I'm listening to some old school drum n bass, where the Mdr-1r has more of that 'tubby' bass reproduced than the Ex600. But switching back to the ex600, yes it's extending lower.

The Shure 840 doesn't quite cut it here. It is less defined than the Mdr-1r. A little loose, not the headphones strength. Not bad though.

Overall Impressions: it's a bit of mixed bag isn't it. What it comes down to is that the 840s are a solid headphone for what they are designed for and they are still enjoyable even without being the most musical if that makes sense. With their coiled cord, good fit, and sweet midrange these are now relegated to piano and gaming duty. I can see why i havent used them for music, they are not the most engaging. The Mdr-1r present themselves more like a set of speakers and you get sense of real space. With the Mdr-ex600, not only does everything feel panned, but it feels like someone lowered the ceilings and raised the floors - the sound field is bit squashed. Now, you can adapt, and the ex600 has plenty to offer sonically in a small package, and if you are listening to electronic music where the stereo field may not be the most realistic then this is fine. The ex600 is also great for classical, solo piano, and vocal.

The Mdr-1r is laid back, and could benefit from a bit more detail and deep accurate bass, but for the most part it is doing many things very well that add up to a rich and luscious experience. You can enjoy music with these, they have musicality, and they've passed the test where they make you want to get up and bust a move.

If anything, getting this headphone has actually made me appreciate my other headphones more.

May 25, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #133 of 145
Someone posted a dynamat mod for these and it is supposed to make them sound even better.

I definitely agree about the bass not being the tightest, but the quantity is definitely enough. Burn in does wonders for the bass tightness though.

May 30, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #134 of 145
Well, the MDR-1r was sent back. I had a bit of comfort issues with it, guess I'm just big headed. Decided to stick with my trusty SRH-840 which was better for gaming, and though it doesn't image as well, is still enjoyable. Also, there was just too much overlap, with the 840 beating it on comfort, and the ex600 on sound quality. Funds may go to an open can.

Jun 20, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #135 of 145
I don't know whether they were mentioned:

Audio Technica ATH-AD900X (open air) vs. ATH-A900X (closed back)

What about the Sony MDR-MA900 under $199?

How about the battle of the open-air 900's: ATH-AD900x vs. MDR-MA900?

P.S.
I've ordered the A900X but they got mis-delivered by the FedEx to some other address!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back