What beats Sony MDR-1R?
Nov 6, 2012 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 145

Xcuz

New Head-Fier
I've been looking for some headphones around $300 or under and so far these are the best I've found. If there are any other headphones that could beat these for the price please tell me.

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #2 of 145
Have not heard MDR-1R (I don't think many people have yet), but there are *a lot* of options around $300 (everyone and their grandmother has a $299 headphone these days). If we're just talking "all equal before God" - I'd point you towards the Ultrasone HFI-2400 or Grado SR-225 and SR-325. If you need isolation for mobile use, the Bose QC15 still set the standard for ANC, and are right there at $299. There's also a plethora of IEMs, but I'd suggest asking in the IEM subforum if you want to go that route (it's been a while since I've seriously looked at IEMs - I would point you towards Etymotic or Denon, but I have no idea if that's still "relevant" in light of the seeming hundreds of new offerings in that market).

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #4 of 145
You might be able to find a used Denon D2000 for under $300. I never heard the MDR-1R but I've heard the D2000 and think that would be the best choice for your budget.

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #5 of 145
Quote:
I've been looking for some headphones around $300 or under and so far these are the best I've found. If there are any other headphones that could beat these for the price please tell me.

Heya,

How are they the best you've found?

At the $300 mark, there's a literal plethora of well known, well documented, and staple mid-fi headphones that essentially hold the market at this price point.

How about you tell us what you're looking for a in a headphone and what kind of sound you're wanting. Also, include any source equipment you're using. Also, let us know if you're willing to buy source equipment (ie, DAC, AMP, etc).

Very best,

Nov 6, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #8 of 145
i heard Beyer DT770, Denon D2000, Ultrasone PRO 750 and Ultrasone HFI 580 of the above and find the MDR-1R to be superior in sound (for electronica) and comfort.

another contender should be the M-100.havent heard it yet though.

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #9 of 145
Quote:

Heya,

In that case, consider the following:

Beyer DT770
AudioTechnica A900X
Denon D2000
Ultrasone PRO 750
Ultrasone HFI 580
AKG K167
AKG K550

Very best,

I don't know much about why another pair of cans would be better than the other. Could you explain what would make these comparable to the MDR-1R.

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #11 of 145
Quote:
Then what are you basing the MDR-1R being "best" on?
confused_face_2.gif

I'd add the HFI-2400 to Mal's list, but wouldn't suggest the SR-225 if you want "lots of bass."

Well I know that Sony is pretty reliable, and they have a pretty high FR. Also, I've seen some reviews comparing them to other headphones and they seemed to be the perfect headphones for me in that price range. Along with a bit of understated style as a bonus.

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #12 of 145
Well I know that Sony is pretty reliable, and they have a pretty high FR. Also, I've seen some reviews comparing them to other headphones and they seemed to be the perfect headphones for me in that price range. Along with a bit of understated style as a bonus.

"high FR" - what?

As far as Sony and the brand's reputation - they're a mixed bag. They have some big winners against a lot of losers, historically speaking. MDR-1R are new - a general consensus likely is not available yet. The models Mal suggested are a known quantity, and they're all good by and large.

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #13 of 145
Quote:

Frequency range does not matter at all as long as it is at least 20Hz-20KHz.

What does matter is what the frequency response graph looks like. Usually flatter is better, but this depends on your preferences. 

Nov 6, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #15 of 145
Ok let's start at the top.

You mentioned musical tastes of electronic and dub step? Is that all you listen to or is it just your primary music genres. If other genres are listened to do you care if you hear them as enjoyably as dub step and electronic, or do you just want these to be nice and bassy?

Are you going to use these from a stationary listening station with headphone amp and DAC or mainly from portable devices like an iPhone or other MP3 player?

Do you need these to be isolating (for you) or non-bleeding (for everyone around you).

Do you care if the headphone sits on your ears or around your ears? This followed by do you want super comfy or is it OK if they are just comfy so long as they sound good and meet your other requirements?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back