Boxed Set '65-1990 )

" I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better " ;')

David Crosby, Gene Clark, Michael Clarke, Chris Hillman, and Roger McGuinn

Background information
Origin Los Angeles, California, United States
Genres Rock, pop, folk rock, psychedelic rock, raga rock, country rock
Years active 1964–1973; 1989–1991; 2000
Labels Columbia, Asylum, Elektra

Associated acts The Jet Set, The Beefeaters, The Flying Burrito Brothers, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young,
Firefall, McGuinn, Clark & Hillman, The Desert Rose Band
Website www.byrds.com

Past members
Roger McGuinn
Gene Clark
David Crosby
Michael Clarke
Chris Hillman
Kevin Kelley
Gram Parsons
Clarence White
Gene Parsons
John York
Skip Battin

The Byrds ( /ˈbɜrdz/) were an American rock band, formed in Los Angeles, California in 1964.[1] The band underwent multiple line-up changes throughout its existence, with frontman Roger McGuinn (aka Jim McGuinn) remaining the sole consistent member until the group disbanded in 1973.[2] Although they only managed to attain the huge commercial success of contemporaries like The Beatles, The Beach Boys, and The Rolling Stones for a short period of time (1965–66), The Byrds are today considered by critics to be one of the most influential bands of the 1960s.[1] Initially, they pioneered the musical genre of folk rock, melding the influence of The Beatles and other British Invasion bands with contemporary and traditional folk music.[3] As the 1960s progressed, the band was also influential in originating psychedelic rock, raga rock, and country rock.[1][4][5] In addition, the band's signature blend of clear harmony singing and McGuinn's jangly twelve-string Rickenbacker guitar has continued to be influential on popular music up to the present day.[1][6] Among the band's most enduring songs are their cover versions of Bob Dylan's "Mr. Tambourine Man" and Pete Seeger's "Turn! Turn! Turn! (to Everything There is a Season)", along with the self-penned originals, "I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better", "Eight Miles High", "So You Want to Be a Rock 'n' Roll Star", "Ballad of Easy Rider" and "Chestnut Mare".

The original five-piece line-up of The Byrds consisted of Jim McGuinn (lead guitar, vocals), Gene Clark (tambourine, vocals), David Crosby (rhythm guitar, vocals), Chris Hillman (bass guitar, vocals), and Michael Clarke (drums).

1991 R&R Hall of Fame inductee's 

As Roger McGuinn once said of the Byrds, “It was Dylan meets the Beatles.” The Byrds combined the upbeat, melodic pop of the Beatles with the message-oriented lyrics of Bob Dylan into a wholly original amalgam that would be branded folk-rock. If only for their harmony-rich versions of Dylan’s “Mr. Tambourine Man” and Pete Seeger’s “Turn! Turn! Turn!,” drenched in the 12-string jangle of McGuinn’s Rickenbacker guitar, the Byrds would have earned their place in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Yet the group continually broke ground during the Sixties, creating revelatory syntheses of sound that were given such hyphenated names as space-rock ("5D [Fifth Dimension]"), psychedelic-rock ("Eight Miles High") and country-rock (their Sweethearts of the Rodeo album). At a time when rock and roll was exploding in all fronts, the Byrds led the way with an insatiable curiosity about the forms and directions pop music could take. In so doing, they became peers and equals of their mentors, Dylan and the Beatles.

Nov 9, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #29,318 of 136,203
Sex Tapes-Protest the Hero

Nov 9, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #29,319 of 136,203
516zlMAcVML._SS500_.jpg

Nov 9, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #29,320 of 136,203

Just re-ripped this in ALAC. For some reason I owned the CD but had a crappy 192 rip of it. It's a favorite so I can't believe I didn't notice it before. 

Nov 10, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #29,323 of 136,203
Quote:
Tweekend by The Crystal Method

Just realized the cover doesn't say what it is. 
tongue_smile.gif

I found the full explicit version

makes me curious about the music; will have to give it a listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back