What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Nov 7, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #15,348 of 137,119
noonesfirstandyourenext.jpg

Nov 7, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #15,352 of 137,119
"Directions In Music:
Live At Massey Hall"

Recorded at Massy Hall, Toronto, Canada on October 25, 2001.

Personnel includes: Herbie Hancock (piano); Michael Brecker (tenor saxophone); Roy Hargrove (trumpet, flugelhorn); John Patitucci (bass); Brian Blade (drums)

Song Title:

1. The Sorcerer8:54
2. The Poet6:35
3. So What / Impressions12:51
4. Misstery8:16
5. Naima7:29
6. Transition10:26
7. My Ship8:40
8. D Trane15:11

"DIRECTIONS IN MUSIC" won the 2003 Grammy Award for Best Jazz Instrumental Album.

"My Ship" (Herbie Hancock) won the 2003 Grammy Award for Best Jazz Instrumental Solo.

"Naima" (Michael Brecker) was nominated for the 2003 Grammy Award for Best Jazz Instrumental Solo.

"Directions in Music" marks Herbie Hancock's all-star tribute to Miles Davis and John Coltrane.
The influence that Miles Davis and John Coltrane had on jazz is incalculable; it is breathtaking to think that they were in the same band for a number of years. The focus of this tribute CD is the work they did separately in the 1960's: Miles' second quintet and Coltrane's great quartet.
This live set from Toronto's Massey Hall features a cross-generational super-quintet. Passing the torch and keeping the fires burning is what keeps jazz alive and kicking. Young lion Roy Hargrove rises to the occasion and ably keeps up with his elders in this band's frontline.
Standouts are Michael Brecker's deconstruction of Coltrane's classic "Naima," the inspired ensemble re-workings of "My Ship" and "So What/Impressions," Herbie Hancock's forever hip, etude-like accompaniments for his bandmates, and the intuitive rhythm support of John Patitucci and the resourceful Brian Blade.

~
smily_headphones1.gif
~

Nov 7, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #15,355 of 137,119
Listening to three songs...two Metallica songs, Shortest Straw and Dyer's Eve, and one Priestess song, Lay Down. Trying to pick out the basslines to try and play them. Pretty sure I've got it...might even upload YouTube vids of myself playing them. Maybe...I'd probably combine and shorten the two Metallica songs, start off with Shortest Straw and kind of segue into Dyer's Eve, since Shortest Straw is long-ish, and they're both repetitive if you just listen to the instruments. They're all fairly simple songs, the two Metallica songs are just fast, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back