What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Mar 22, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #51,017 of 136,182

Riffing off the two against nature. I believe Chris Potter played sax on that album, and I just saw him with Pat Metheny Unit Group last night at Strathmore, in Bethesda, MD. I'm still on a high.

A friend of mine turned me on to Metheny in about 87 or 88 while working at Wolf Trap Farm Park in Virginia as a summer college job. I've listened to him over the past 25 + years.

I was a total metal head and rock guy...and still at heart still am. But, I've grown to really enjoy jazz. I think Metheny is a great modern entry into jazz for people who aren't necessarily jazz lovers...so many other influences, world music, latin, almost new age sounds, fusion...pretty natural for lovers of guitar based music. His skills are jaw dropping.

Overall, my wife found some of his earlier music like Secret Story "softer/prettier" and some his later PMG stuff maybe got a little to complex for her. I think the new act strikes a nice balance.

My friend who introduced me to Metheny so many years ago told me he was a musical genius. He taught guitar in college in Boston as a teenager as a prodigy. Now 40 some years later-having seen him for the first time since the 80's I think he is  a genius.

A great show by an amazing player and composer playing with some of the best in the business...

Chris Potter-sax and woodwinds/multi instrumentalist, Antonio Sanchez-drums & cajon

Ben Williams-acoustic and electric basses

Giulio Carmassi-multi instrumentalist including vocals, piano, trombone, French horn and much more.

This is jazz that goes beyond jazz in the 21st century. I feel lucky to have seen him.

Antonio sansez was drumming! He is amazing. Would of been a great show im sure. That chick korea album "light as a feather" s one of my fav's. The title track is brilliant. 

here is a great interview from the whistle test, the runs he does at 8.45 are lethal!  ¬

Mar 22, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #51,018 of 136,182
  I am trying very hard not to purchase Aja yet again, this time SA-CD format. I'm fighting it! 
normal_smile%20.gif

Mar 22, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #51,019 of 136,182

Ascension is one of my favorite albums of all time and also one of the most highly regarded jazz albums in history. That being said, I can count the people whom I know that can say they enjoy that album with the fingers in my one hand. I enjoyed it from first listen but it took me years to learn to appreciate it on a more than superficial level. In comparison to later free jazz albums, I actually find it surprisingly conservative and still clearly quite firmly rooted in the traditions of bop and other jazz that came before. Compared to most other free jazz records I've heard Ascensions actually has an amount of structure to it the listener might not initially expect or be aware of. It certainly is a watershed record if there ever was one.

What I admire most about Coltrane is that he was always looking ahead and never stopped to stand still even for a second. Listening to his records in chronological order is a fascinating journey. Right up to his death he was pushing music further than it had ever been taken before and had he lived any longer I feel his music would have reached a level beyond the comprehension of mere mortals. His last recorded live concert and studio session are both already nearly on their own plane of existence. My life would be very different if they didn't exist.

Miyuki most definitely deserves a lot more exposure and recognition. The quality of her work is of the highest degree. She actually sent me an email recently and wanted to thank me for being a loyal fan of her music for over a year. She was very excited about that. As someone who really admires her work and would place her among my favorite musicians, it was certainly very nice to hear she found my support to be meaningful to her.

You can count me as one of those who exceptionally enjoys Ascension and at times it has gotten quite frequent playback from me. Having studied fine art for over four years, I find what Coltrane and many other avant-garde artist have done was bring a light into the dark corners of art. Of course, that is perhaps what most can consider avant-garde but I do not believe the term is limited in it's definition. Ascension is a pinnacle record for our time and one I believe should be on every Jazz fan's "albums to listen to" if anything.

On the topic of Miyuki, that is really awesome TJ. I love her music and I think she deserves the praise she has received. I know you are an avid supporter of her music, and if it weren't for you, I wouldn't have discovered her myself. So I too owe you a thanks. :)

Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde

Mar 22, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #51,020 of 136,182
  Antonio sansez was drumming! He is amazing. Would of been a great show im sure. That chick korea album "light as a feather" s one of my fav's. The title track is brilliant. 

here is a great interview from the whistle test, the runs he does at 8.45 are lethal!  ¬

That's really cool. His demonstration of the guitar synthesizer is quite interesting.

But, OMG-So 80's!

I think Sanchez has been with him at least since the first Unity band album. Really amazing drummer.

Kind of going through a fusion thing. Think I'll investigate some more of Chick's Return to Forever albums. Romantic Warrior, Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy and the Vigil are on my next short list.

Mar 22, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #51,022 of 136,182

I am trying very hard not to purchase Aja yet again, this time SA-CD format. I'm fighting it! 
normal_smile%20.gif

Did a double 45 RPM pressing ever hit the street? Or just the 99th cutting of the record @ 33-1/3? 
biggrin.gif

Will look to compare the SACD & Blu-ray titles. I need to get the most bang for my buck!

Mar 22, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #51,024 of 136,182

San Fermin - San Fermin 

This is such a captivating record that doesn't get enough respect. Another great album from 2013.

You've got good taste man, just downloaded it on Spotify. There's a Live album with 3 songs recorded from the Advent Lutheran Church, worth looking at.

Mar 22, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #51,027 of 136,182

You can count me as one of those who exceptionally enjoys Ascension and at times it has gotten quite frequent playback from me. Having studied fine art for over four years, I find what Coltrane and many other avant-garde artist have done was bring a light into the dark corners of art. Of course, that is perhaps what most can consider avant-garde but I do not believe the term is limited in it's definition. Ascension is a pinnacle record for our time and one I believe should be on every Jazz fan's "albums to listen to" if anything.

On the topic of Miyuki, that is really awesome TJ. I love her music and I think she deserves the praise she has received. I know you are an avid supporter of her music, and if it weren't for you, I wouldn't have discovered her myself. So I too owe you a thanks. :)

I was very fortunate to stumble upon Miyuki's music. I really enjoy how each release from her sounds unique and different from what she's done prior. Every EP and album is like its own aural journey. The new album is definitely my favorite from her so far, at least at the moment. I really enjoy the darker, deeper tone. As far as EPs go, I think The Android's Dream might still be my favorite. It was the first thing I heard from Miyuki so it does hold a special place for me, though.

I just got back from hearing Iiro Rantala, Lars Danielsson and Cæcilie Norby performing live with a big band. All three were absolutely phenomenal. I bought Danielsson's Libera Me album at the concert hall and he was kind enough to sign it for me! The wonderful evening left me exhausted so I'll be heading directly to bed now. Tomorrow I shall enjoy the record!

Here's a video of a Joni Mitchell song Danielsson and Norby performed together to start off the second half of the two-hour set.

This is the second one they performed as a duet. Here it is presented in a quartet format with the amazing Leszek Możdżer on piano.

Mar 22, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #51,028 of 136,182

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #51,029 of 136,182
Bonobo - Between The Lines [feat. Bajka]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back