What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Mar 22, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #51,002 of 136,397
Originally Posted by magiccabbage /img/forum/go_quote.gif

2 against nature on SACD, now that would be nice. Surprisingly its my fav Dan album, even better than aja for me. That track "jack of speed" hmmmm....

Using 30 sec samples, I breezed through a few of "Dan's" CDs and wasn't moved. I might stand a better chance if I listened longer and more than a time or two over time. Maybe over the weekend in between March Madness, I'll preview some tracks.

Mar 22, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #51,005 of 136,397
  Using 30 sec samples, I breezed through a few of "Dan's" CDs and wasn't moved. I might stand a better chance if I listened longer and more than a time or two over time. Maybe over the weekend in between March Madness, I'll preview some tracks.

Never really dug "The Dan" that much, and I've heard plenty of it. I don't know, maybe "Rickki Don't Lose That Number" was my favorite. Not one of my favorite bands...

Mar 22, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #51,007 of 136,397

I am trying very hard not to purchase Aja yet again, this time SA-CD format. I'm fighting it! 
normal_smile%20.gif

2 against nature on SACD, now that would be nice. Surprisingly its my fav Dan album, even better than aja for me. That track "jack of speed" hmmmm....

beerchug.gif

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #51,008 of 136,397

Never really dug "The Dan" that much, and I've heard plenty of it. I don't know, maybe "Rickki Don't Lose That Number" was my favorite. Not one of my favorite bands...

I used to be the same - then one night the album "Cant buy a thrill" just clicked with me. That song off "the royal scam" - "kid charlemange" that helped as well, it was my favorite Dan track for a long time. Then i heard "2 against nature" and everything changed. I bought the DVD here is a clip from it ¬

Give 2 against nature a go, if you are a fan of fagens solo work you might like this. i think this album is closer to "morph the cat" and "sunken condos"  than the rest of the steely albums - just my 2 cents. Of course i could be horribly wrong about that. 

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #51,011 of 136,397

Agnes Obel - Aventine.  I'm ...awed
eek.gif

great post - i really like the use of strings in that track. I wonder if the double bass player is also using a bow or is that the cello? It sounds a bit deep for a cello. I might have to get this album. Does the rest of it hold up? 

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #51,012 of 136,397
  great post - i really like the use of strings in that track. I wonder if the double bass player is also using a bow or is that the cello? It sounds a bit deep for a cello. I might have to get this album. Does the rest of it hold up? 

YES!
L3000.gif

and this one too :

Mar 22, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #51,015 of 136,397

Quote:
  Day 1- Ta-ku
Für dich immer noch Fanta Sie

Riffing off the two against nature. I believe Chris Potter played sax on that album, and I just saw him with Pat Metheny Unit Group last night at Strathmore, in Bethesda, MD. I'm still on a high.

A friend of mine turned me on to Metheny in about 87 or 88 while working at Wolf Trap Farm Park in Virginia as a summer college job. I've listened to him over the past 25 + years.

I was a total metal head and rock guy...and still at heart still am. But, I've grown to really enjoy jazz. I think Metheny is a great modern entry into jazz for people who aren't necessarily jazz lovers...so many other influences, world music, latin, almost new age sounds, fusion...pretty natural for lovers of guitar based music. His skills are jaw dropping.

Overall, my wife found some of his earlier music like Secret Story "softer/prettier" and some his later PMG stuff maybe got a little to complex for her. I think the new act strikes a nice balance.

My friend who introduced me to Metheny so many years ago told me he was a musical genius. He taught guitar in college in Boston as a teenager as a prodigy. Now 40 some years later-having seen him for the first time since the 80's I think he is  a genius.

A great show by an amazing player and composer playing with some of the best in the business...

Chris Potter-sax and woodwinds/multi instrumentalist, Antonio Sanchez-drums & cajon

Ben Williams-acoustic and electric basses

Giulio Carmassi-multi instrumentalist including vocals, piano, trombone, French horn and much more.

This is jazz that goes beyond jazz in the 21st century. I feel lucky to have seen him.

Here is a preview/promo of the album:

Now listening to Pat Metheny: s Book of Angels Vol. 20

Tap...this is a great album, beautiful acoustic guitar, some avant garde, some distorted electric guitar...Metheny sounds great playing psychedelic guitar

Also listening to some new jazz CDs I've ordered:

I have no idea why I like Chvrches, but I do.

Julia Holter's Loud City Song is one of the most beautiful and original albums of 2013 IMO.

I rank Moving Pictures up there along with Aja-two of my favorite classic rock albums of all time. I don't listen to them often, but when I do, I'm reminded how great they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back