What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Aug 19, 2020 at 9:40 AM Post #97,276 of 136,824

Aug 19, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #97,279 of 136,824
1597853930011.jpeg

GoGo Penguin 🐧

Aug 19, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #97,282 of 136,824
Jello Biafra and the New Orleans Raunch & Soul All-Stars - Walk on Jindal's Splinters.jpg
Recorded live at the 2014 New Orleans Jazz Fest. Thanks @Ableza for inspiration.

Blues Brothers - Briefcase Full of Blues.jpg
Recorded live at the Universal Amphitheater in Los Angeles 1978.
Musical director Paul Shaffer.

Traveling Wilburys - Traveling Wilburys - Vol. 3.jpg
The group's 2nd studio album (despite the title), sadly without Roy Orbison.
HD800 --------------> :)

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #97,286 of 136,824

Aug 20, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #97,290 of 136,824
Thanks for this @BobG55.
Fascinating that this mono version is preferred by many, to the stereo versions.
I haven't heard it, so can't comment.
I thought this article on Discogs website was interesting:
https://blog.discogs.com/en/mono-versus-stereo/
The only Mono album I have bought recently is John Mellencamp's 'No Better Than This' which was recorded using a single vintage ribbon mic and no overdubs.
T Bone Burnett produced it. To my ears it sounds a bit 'muddy' , but I love the fact that Mellencamp had a go, and also used some historic venues for the recordings.
BTW, I know that discussions about audio gear are 'off limits' on this site, but that Kenwood amp looks great :beyersmile:
Thanks for the Discogs article Les Strat. The Pepper track they chose to compare mono & stereo versions, in the article, is the same one I mentioned in my post : Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. The differences are glaring, especially the tempo and ambiance of the overall sound production in the mono vs stereo. I also bought Mellencamp’s No better than this. I’ve never been a fan of Mellencamp’s music but I bought it after watching Steve Guttenberg recommending the album on one of his Audiophiliac videos on YouTube. You’re right about the muddy sound of the album‘s production. I don’t know if this can be attributed solely to the mono production. I have a few albums produced by T Bone and they all seem to share the same warm overall sound.
The combined usage of a single vintage ribbon mike, the different vintage venues & Burnett’s production technique are most likely responsible for the muddy sound which you describe.

In my case what dissapoints me most about this album is once again Mellecamp’s song writing. I tried keeping an open mind but during my second go at listening to it I stopped the CD during the third or fourth song. BTW, I’m not knocking anybody who likes Mellencamp. Thanks again Les Strat & yes, the Kenwood amp looks and sounds great. I was with my older brother when he bought it new back in 1974. When he offered to give it to me about ten years ago or so I jumped at the chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back