What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Aug 18, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #97,246 of 137,854
John Lee Hooker_The Healer.jpg Joe Walsh.jpg

Aug 18, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #97,253 of 137,854
@gimmeheadroom . You beat me to it :beyersmile:
I have been listening to Eberhard Weber's album 'The Following Morning'.
'T. On a White Horse' is brilliant, haunting stuff.
His playing on some Kate Bush albums is also excellent.

Edit: Love the avatar. Madman is probably my favourite EJ album
I bought it on release in 1971.

Eberhard Weber gets around pretty good. I didn't know he had solo albums for a long time after I heard him playing on a Monty Alexander album. I guess he has a lot of studio and session work to his credit.

I've been listening to Elton John since before I can remember. I had everything until the 1990s on vinyl, bootlegs, autographed copies, picture discs, colored vinyl. I haven't seen my albums in years since I have had to move around so much.

I love the early albums, real singer/songwriter style, wonderful recordings and acoustic instruments. When you listen to early Stones, Zeppelin, Elton John you start to see the commonality that they had in those days. Haven't heard anything like it since.

Aug 18, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #97,255 of 137,854
Eberhard Weber gets around pretty good. I didn't know he had solo albums for a long time after I heard him playing on a Monty Alexander album. I guess he has a lot of studio and session work to his credit.

I've been listening to Elton John since before I can remember. I had everything until the 1990s on vinyl, bootlegs, autographed copies, picture discs, colored vinyl. I haven't seen my albums in years since I have had to move around so much.

I love the early albums, real singer/songwriter style, wonderful recordings and acoustic instruments. When you listen to early Stones, Zeppelin, Elton John you start to see the commonality that they had in those days. Haven't heard anything like it since.
@gimmeheadroom it sounds like you have a fantastic collection of albums by ‘Reg‘. 😀
I agree about the quality of songwriting and albums generally back then.
My peak period for buying albums was about 1970 to 1979.
Luckily for me that coincided with some of the best music ever produced ( in my opinion).
I met a very well-known record producer about 15 years ago, who admitted that many ‘70s artists were far superior to the ones he works with now!
They had the ability to just record ‘live’ in the studio without the need for fancy studio ‘effects‘ to cover up their shortcomings.
My favourite Elton John albums are ‘Elton John’ ‘Tumbleweed Connection’ ‘Madman Across the Water’ and ‘Captain Fantastic’
Elton hails from the same north London suburb where I grew up, which is yet another reason I have followed his career so closely!
The Kate Bush albums I have with some great bass playing by Eberhard Weber are ‘Hounds of Love’ and ‘Aerial’.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #97,256 of 137,854
@gimmeheadroom it sounds like you have a fantastic collection of albums by ‘Reg‘. 😀
I agree about the quality of songwriting and albums generally back then.
My peak period for buying albums was about 1970 to 1979.
Luckily for me that coincided with some of the best music ever produced ( in my opinion).
I met a very well-known record producer about 15 years ago, who admitted that many ‘70s artists were far superior to the ones he works with now!
They had the ability to just record ‘live’ in the studio without the need for fancy studio ‘effects‘ to cover up their shortcomings.
My favourite Elton John albums are ‘Elton John’ ‘Tumbleweed Connection’ ‘Madman Across the Water’ and ‘Captain Fantastic’
Elton hails from the same north London suburb where I grew up, which is yet another reason I have followed his career so closely!

You've got about 6 times as many likes as you do posts and it's clear why.Nice meeting you :)

Yeah those were indeed the days. I often say I'm not interested in any music made after 1979 (I would say a bit earlier actually) and I get mostly blank stares or worse :p

It's amazing you lived in the same town, did you ever have a chance to see him out and about? I missed several nearby concerts in various places I lived. I was afraid it wouldn't be like his studio albums.

I love all the early albums. I can't pick a favorite but my tops include the ones you mentioned and Empty Sky and some cuts from Friends and Honky Chateau. I finally got the SACD of Tumbleweed Connection last year.Other than that I have almost nothing on CD although I'll try to find what other SACDs are available.

Aug 18, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #97,257 of 137,854
You've got about 6 times as many likes as you do posts and it's clear why.Nice meeting you :)

Yeah those were indeed the days. I often say I'm not interested in any music made after 1979 (I would say a bit earlier actually) and I get mostly blank stares or worse :p

It's amazing you lived in the same town, did you ever have a chance to see him out and about? I missed several nearby concerts in various places I lived. I was afraid it wouldn't be like his studio albums.

I love all the early albums. I can't pick a favorite but my tops include the ones you mentioned and Empty Sky and some cuts from Friends and Honky Chateau. I finally got the SACD of Tumbleweed Connection last year.Other than that I have almost nothing on CD although I'll try to find what other SACDs are available.
Hi @gimmeheadroom
Thank you for the kind comments.
Unfortunately I was too young to see Elton when he started out playing in the local pubs.
Yet another reason I am biased about Elton is his association with Watford FC.
He was Chairman for several years and did a lot for the club.
I have followed Watford FC since 1968!
Sadly they were relegated from the English Premier League this season.
Honky Chateau is another favourite album.
I really like Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters.
Have you heard the original version of the track ‘Madman Across the Water’ with Mick Ronson on guitar?
It is really good!
I prefer the version on the album, but Mick was an under-rated and very talented guitarist.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #97,258 of 137,854
Hi @gimmeheadroom
Thank you for the kind comments.
Unfortunately I was too young to see Elton when he started out playing in the local pubs.
Yet another reason I am biased about Elton is his association with Watford FC.
He was Chairman for several years and did a lot for the club.
I have followed Watford FC since 1968!
Sadly they were relegated from the English Premier League this season.
Honky Chateau is another favourite album.
I really like Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters.
Have you heard the original version of the track ‘Madman Across the Water’ with Mick Ronson on guitar?
It is really good!
I prefer the version on the album, but Mick was an under-rated and very talented guitarist.

I can't keep track of all the changes in football. It's big here as well but has not been my thing. I didn't remember that EJ was involved with that. Probably a lot more worthy than some of the other things that have gone on lately... sigh...

Yes, I love the mandolins on that track. I listen to it often and I'm amazed how good the recording is. There is a raw and truthful feeling and Elton is right there in front of the microphone like he and the guys are in the room right in front of you, like you might have heard in a coffee shop or garage band. Later albums became more "professional" and a lot of the intimacy was lost.

As to the alternate track, I must have it somewhere but honestly I don't recall it specifically. I hope to get my albums in front of me and get my vinyl setup going again someday but I don't know when.

Aug 18, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #97,260 of 137,854
r1.jpg
Joe Sample - Old Places, Old Faces.jpg
Joe Sample - The Pecan Tree.jpg
Thanks for the idea @Les Strat. I had the latter two albums but then acquired
Rainbow Seeker based on your reco (I had it on vinyl back in the day, which
now seems like prehistoric times). Engaging smooth jazz by masterful musicians.
HD800 -------------------> :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back