Jul 5, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #5,971 of 136,315
Alice in Videoland
shesow4.jpg
She's a Machine!

Swedish synth-rock foursome

Jul 5, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #5,972 of 136,315
[size=x-large]Catpower / Moonpix[/size]

Cat_Power-Moon_Pix_(album_cover).jpg

I bought this when it was released back in 1998.

It never gets old.

I've had the good fortune of seeing Chan Marshall perform some very sparse and trimmed down acoustic sets, both as a solo artist as well as under the pseudonym 'Catpower,' ... and by far, the collection of songs on Moonpix is her most heartfelt and outstanding work.

This is my opinion, of course ... but most reviewers online will most likely echo the sentiment.

Magic stuff this release.

'Metal Heart' positively destroys me every time I hear it, a truly and devastatingly sad song (while also reeking of quiet strength) ... a lovely and tear enducing paradox of emotion that you'd have to be a stone to not be affected by.

Anyway ... enough posturing.

wink.gif

Here's a few words from a certain reviewer at Pitchfork media:

"There's something irresistible about that Chan Marshall. Recording under the Cat Power moniker, she's got a magic coolness that only certain guitar-totin' girls come equipped with. You know what I'm talkin' about-- Beth Orton's got the Magic Cool, too. You can't really pinpoint any particularly cool things with these girls; they're just cool. And somehow, the new Cat Power record is proof positive that Marshall is the coolest on the planet.

"American Flag" opens the record, utilizing the drum loop from the Beastie Boys' famed "Paul Revere" as the spine behind her delicate ballad, and an obvious realization occurs-- Marshall's pretty much got it goin' on. Her sound is like Liz Phair on Valium mixed with the lonesome, desert highway tone of Modest Mouse. It's pretty, clever, and terribly depressing-- all of which are common traits in any classic statement-making album.

Chan is Atlanta's answer to Mark Eitzel. This record spins through 11 tracks of soft strumming and brittle vocals, all while you rest your head on your pillow, watching a muted black-and-white television and drifting in and out of consciousness. Man, that's the sexiest voice ever."

- Ryan Schreiber, November 1, 1998

Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back