What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Mar 9, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #31,382 of 137,780
61woXhf6EeL._SS400_.jpg

Mar 9, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #31,387 of 137,780
"I Feel Good"

DRINK SMALL:
Electric Blues Doctor Live!

Mapleshade Records

Hailing from Bishopville, South Carolina, Drink Small has the biggest, deepest bass voice in the blues. His amazingly expressive sound falls right in between B.B. King and Bo Diddley. But Drink's got a little something extra. I think it’s his gospel background. Growing up, as Drink puts it, he was "boogalooing on Saturday, hallelujahing on Sunday." It gives his work on the fretboard a little extra reverence and soulfulness. This set's a mouth-watering mixture of blues and soul, including James Brown's "I Feel Good", T-Bone's "Stormy Monday" and Drink's own lusty "I'm In Love With A Grandma". I've never captured better sound on male voice or electric guitar. A Bound For Sound Recording of Exceptional Merit. (#01832)

Drink Small, guitar/vocals
J.J.Miller, guitar/harmonica
Wayne Mitchum, bass
Steve Kent, drums

TRACK LISTING:
1. STORMY MONDAY BLUES (T-Bone Walker)  
2. I FEEL GOOD (James Brown)
3. THREE O'CLOCK IN THE MORNING (Riley King)
4. THE THINGS I USED TO DO I DON'T DO 'EM NO MORE (Eddie Jones)
5. I REALLY DON'T WANT TO KNOW (H.Barnes & D.Robertson)
6. CHARLESTON WOMAN (Drink Small)
7. INSTRUMENTAL (Drink Small)
8. I'M IN LOVE WITH A GRANDMA (Drink Small) 
9. SHOUT (K.Isley, R.Isley, & R.Isley) 

REVIEWS:

Living Blues:
reviewed by Jim DeKoster

As the title implies, this disc presents blues doctor Small recorded live, playing electric guitar. The venue is a club in Washington, DC, and unobtrusive accompaniment is provided by J.J. Miller on guitar and harmonica, Wayne Mitchum on bass, and Steve Kent on drums.

The date was 1988, prior to Small's two Ichiban LPs, and, not surprisingly, Mapleshade's production values put the leader's voice and guitar a bit more to the fore than did Ichiban's. The sound is commendably clean and natural because, as the notes boast, there was "no mixing board, filtering, compression, equalization, noise reduction, multi-tracking, or overdubbing." Small, touted as "possibly the only major blues singer today with a true basso profundo voice, works his way through a playlist of mostly familiar material, with quite a lot of good-humored monologue extending most cuts. Although he is a sufficiently distinctive singer and guitarist to make even ten minutes of Stormy Monday bearable, Small is too fine a songwriter to be represented by only two originals both of which are quite good.

Because Small's personality comes through so strongly, this is a more entertaining set than might be expected from the song selection. It provides the best showcase yet for his guitar skills, and an entirely solo set might make a worthy companion especially if it featured more original material.

June 1994

Mar 9, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #31,388 of 137,780
Dengue Fever -- Escape From The Dragon House.

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #31,390 of 137,780

Quote:
Buena Vista Social Club  At Carnegie Hall.  

Good stuff Ant!  I will check this out since I love the original Buena Vista Social Club recordings.  Ry Cooder has done more than just about anyone in expanding the horizons of international music. It seems he has touched every musical culture while touching every possible string instrument.

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #31,392 of 137,780

Quote:
Good stuff Ant!  I will check this out since I love the original Buena Vista Social Club recordings.  Ry Cooder has done more than just about anyone in expanding the horizons of international music. It seems he has touched every musical culture while touching every possible string instrument.

I just listened to the HD 24bit 96K version of the original Buena Vista Social Club recordings and I actually like the original release better. But the live version is worth having because it has the live energy to it.      I have a very large Latin library, I think I'll start listening to it more and post up some more CD's.  Some of it is the best music I own.

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #31,393 of 137,780

Quote:
I just listened to the HD 24bit 96K version of the original Buena Vista Social Club recordings and I actually like the original release better. But the live version is worth having because it has the live energy to it.      I have a very large Latin library, I think I'll start listening to it more and post up some more CD's.  Some of it is the best music I own.

Looking forward to it, man  My Latin library is moderate in size, but plenty of obscure LP's I have picked up in my travels -- very much Bahia focus. I really appreciate the dynamic of live recordings.  I recently added to my live boot-leg collection with Van Morrison's "Into The Mystic" CD (recorded live at Pacific High Studio in San Francisco 9/11/71).  So, so good.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back