What are the best portable headphones on a 50 USD budget?
Nov 11, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 15
By "headphones" I'm assuming you mean anything but earbuds/IEMs?

If you want something highly portable, then try clip-ons; in this category the general consensus here seems to be that YUIN G2A has the best SQ and comfort for sub-$50 region of spending.

Edit:

for the extremely comprehensive review of various aspects of numerous recommended portable headphones (including G2A), check out Joker's compilation of headphone comparisons:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-55-portable-headphones-compared-koss-pro-dj100-added-11-10

If you CAN spend up to $50, then check through "Tier C" exclusively and see what suits you best.

Nov 11, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 15

Quote:
I checked that and I was really interested in the AKG K81 DJs but I couldn't find it anywhere for 60, only 80 which is significantly more expensive

look through the for sale threads, with patience, you can get one for cheap

Nov 11, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 15
I suggest the Koss Ur-55 and Beyer Dynamic DT-235. Both are really comfortable and are under $50. The Ur-55 has more bass and does need a bit of burn-in. For me, it's like a Porta Pro upgrade.

I won't suggest the Maxell DHP-II anymore due to them breaking on people, but they easily sound better then both of them. I feel the $30 is worth the risk.

Nov 11, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #7 of 15

Quote:
I suggest the Koss Ur-55 and Beyer Dynamic DT-235. Both are really comfortable and are under $50. The Ur-55 has more bass and does need a bit of burn-in. For me, it's like a Porta Pro upgrade.

I won't suggest the Maxell DHP-II anymore due to them breaking on people, but they easily sound better then both of them. I feel the $30 is worth the risk.

Head to head between the UR55's and DHP-II's you're choosing the DHP-II's?  How do they compare overall? 

And also, what about the DHP-III's?  Description says open-aire, which I'm guessing they'll be loud for anyone around me?

Nov 11, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #8 of 15
50$ is not a good price range for a decent headphone. go up a little bit to 70$, then you can get the CAL! from amazon or Grado sr60i and more options. Both of the above mentioned will surely please you for a long time. 

Nov 12, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #10 of 15
I heard the quality of Meeltronics M9 varies between individual units so I'm not sure about them.

Also the DT 235s don't look too portable. I'm mainly looking for something portable. Also, right now I'm using RX700s with my Xonar DX for my PC. On my Zune I'm using some sony IEMs I got 2 or so years ago.

Oh and what are the CAL!s? A search on amazon yielded a variety of Califones and Skull Candy heshs.

Nov 12, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #11 of 15
I love the DT235, but agree that they are not that portable. Try the ATH-FC700A.

Nov 12, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #14 of 15
Yea, they're nice. Much better than the G330 logitech headset I had before lol. I stuffed foam under the padding and it's really comfortable too. I would say sound quality is great but I'm not sure what to compare it to since I've only recently gotten the thing. Maybe I'll ask for AD700s for Christmas lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back