What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Apr 7, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #14,461 of 14,566
Something you can easily experiment with on Aeropress is to bring out a different flavor profile by underextracting, and compensate for the strength by using more coffee (this is the basic principle behind the Nel brew method). Underextract on an Aeropress with coarser grind, lower water temperature, and shorter brew time.
Any advice on a Chemex? Went this route after the standard drip maker scaled over (even with regular descalings, and I have seen the city water chemical specs and no good options to fix them) and died in less than 2 years. I figure it is harder to scale over since the city water is horrible here, but willing to try most things.

Apr 8, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #14,462 of 14,566
Any advice on a Chemex? Went this route after the standard drip maker scaled over (even with regular descalings, and I have seen the city water chemical specs and no good options to fix them) and died in less than 2 years. I figure it is harder to scale over since the city water is horrible here, but willing to try most things.
How big? I have one of those single cup pour-over makes that's nice.

Apr 8, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #14,463 of 14,566
Chemex is a pour-over brewing method. It is useful to have an electric gooseneck kettle with temperature control, which is great for all kinds of hot drinks. They are fast heating, a gooseneck spout controls the pour accurately, and you can set the correct temperature for type of coffee bean or drink. I can vouch for Bonavita and Cuisinart, but there are many other options and at different prices.

For pour-over technique, I'll defer to descriptions online which explain better than I can:
https://www.google.com/search?q=pour+over+brewing+method

Apr 8, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #14,464 of 14,566
I’m more of a French Press guy but the pour over devices are my second choice. You can really obsess over how you pour - I’m not that particular but go for it if you like. We had a barista spend literally five minutes pouring my wife’s coffee once. Your filter (metal versus paper) makes a big difference, but it is cheap to try both and see which you prefer. I use one bag of beans for everything, with the same beans pour over is smoother and a bit milder than French press, I use pour over when I want a milder cup. French press cleanup is 5x the work of pour over.

Apr 8, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #14,465 of 14,566
How big? I have one of those single cup pour-over makes that's nice.
8 cup, normally I make coffee 20 fl oz in a go with 1 1/2 oz french roast whole beans when I was using a drip maker.
Chemex is a pour-over brewing method. It is useful to have an electric gooseneck kettle with temperature control, which is great for all kinds of hot drinks. They are fast heating, a gooseneck spout controls the pour accurately, and you can set the correct temperature for type of coffee bean or drink. I can vouch for Bonavita and Cuisinart, but there are many other options and at different prices.

For pour-over technique, I'll defer to descriptions online which explain better than I can:
https://www.google.com/search?q=pour+over+brewing+method
Thank you, right now it is placing a 4 qt measuring cup in the microwave and pouring from there.
I’m more of a French Press guy but the pour over devices are my second choice. You can really obsess over how you pour - I’m not that particular but go for it if you like. We had a barista spend literally five minutes pouring my wife’s coffee once. Your filter (metal versus paper) makes a big difference, but it is cheap to try both and see which you prefer. I use one bag of beans for everything, with the same beans pour over is smoother and a bit milder than French press, I use pour over when I want a milder cup. French press cleanup is 5x the work of pour over.
That is my big thing - its for caffeine in the morning since the office coffee beans are only light roast and bringing beans in like that is silly.

Apr 8, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #14,466 of 14,566
@filthy mechanical have you seen the Moccamaster? Best coffee-related purchase ever.
Coworker found one in an Unclaimed Freight for $40!

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #14,467 of 14,566
@filthy mechanical have you seen the Moccamaster? Best coffee-related purchase every.
Nope, but when I read/hear Mocca I think of the proper Moka Pot and all the fun those are to work with. Great cup of coffee, but making it on the way out the door for work doesn't align. One of the things I liked about the work trips to Europe was how easy it was to get espressos anywhere - although asking for a café solo somehow got me looks in Spain.

Apr 8, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #14,468 of 14,566
Apr 8, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #14,469 of 14,566
Try the YouTube videos of James Hoffman:

https://youtube.com/@jameshoffmann

He has lots of tips and tricks for all sorts of coffee.
This looks like a dangerous road to go down, Schiit is bad enough with the Yggy, and picking at the PAMC catalog as well, but this seems like the shallow end becomes the deep end quickly.

Apr 8, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #14,470 of 14,566
This looks like a dangerous road to go down, Schiit is bad enough with the Yggy, and picking at the PAMC catalog as well, but this seems like the shallow end becomes the deep end quickly.
Oh it does! It did cure me of my Nespresso tho!

Apr 8, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #14,471 of 14,566
Oh it does! It did cure me of my Nespresso tho!
See, I have a philosophical issue with pods of any sort (not sure if its wanting to avoid single use items, might rhyme with the sound a bird makes or rhyme with crazy with a different starting letter) so no risk there. I'll need to try his V60 technique tomorrow and see if that helps the Chemex as its a similar style - just need to be careful not following down this rabbit hole.

Similar to Schiit - picked up a 2U stack in 2016, then nothing until 2020. 11 orders 2020 to now (but a couple were gifts or breaking orders up to avoid waiting on a backorder).

Apr 10, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #14,472 of 14,566
@filthy mechanical have you seen the Moccamaster? Best coffee-related purchase ever.
Wow, thats a steal! I purchased a Moccamaster after it was recommended to me by a second generation coffee roaster. I have been very happy with the appliance.

Apr 16, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #14,473 of 14,566
  1. type abcde
  2. ...
Just followup up on this ripping CDs with abcde. Crossposted

I finished ripping those CDs last night. Took about 2w?

abcde uses MusicBrainz and the tagging was very good, mostly. Every 2-3 CDs, abcde would try to make a filename longer than my Debian install supported - usually because it was duplicating bits of the title or artist list. Easy to fix.

No big issues with letting Roon handle the tagging other than I didn't want all the CDs to show as the album "Living Stereo 60 CD Collection", which Roon sometimes preferred. My biggest issue was a rip I did last year of Lucia di Lammermoor, which came on 3 CDs and roon didn't show the correct album for it.

Apr 16, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #14,474 of 14,566
Just followup up on this ripping CDs with abcde. Crossposted

I finished ripping those CDs last night. Took about 2w?

abcde uses MusicBrainz and the tagging was very good, mostly. Every 2-3 CDs, abcde would try to make a filename longer than my Debian install supported - usually because it was duplicating bits of the title or artist list. Easy to fix.

No big issues with letting Roon handle the tagging other than I didn't want all the CDs to show as the album "Living Stereo 60 CD Collection", which Roon sometimes preferred. My biggest issue was a rip I did last year of Lucia di Lammermoor, which came on 3 CDs and roon didn't show the correct album for it.

I use abcde all the time to RIP my CDs to FLAC. I've done hundreds of them with no issues on Fedora 37. I also use Audacity to RIP my LPs to FLAC. 24/96 Usually and they come out great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back