What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Aug 13, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #14,386 of 14,566
Bifrost 2/64: I like it more than my original shipment Gungnir Multibit in a 2-channel application. Your results may vary.
Any details on why you like it better?

I currently use a Linn Akurate DS and a GMB. I can't hear any difference between the two.

Aug 13, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #14,387 of 14,566
Any details on why you like it better?

I currently use a Linn Akurate DS and a GMB. I can't hear any difference between the two.
It seems brighter and more dynamic. Could be my ears in my system, of course, so it's purely subjective. But the music has become more "lively."

Aug 13, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #14,388 of 14,566
It seems brighter and more dynamic. Could be my ears in my system, of course, so it's purely subjective. But the music has become more "lively."
Is it that odd effect where the music seems "faster" or "slower" where it's not really physically possible for the music to be faster/slower?

Or is it the other odd effect where the balance of details in the music changes where that's not physically possible, either?

Just trying to triangulate over here and determine if the improvements are in my wheelhouse, so to speak.

Aug 13, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #14,389 of 14,566
Is it that odd effect where the music seems "faster" or "slower" where it's not really physically possible for the music to be faster/slower?

Or is it the other odd effect where the balance of details in the music changes where that's not physically possible, either?

Just trying to triangulate over here and determine if the improvements are in my wheelhouse, so to speak.
It's about dynamics (speed of transients or slew rate) and brightness (emphasis on upper midrange frequencies) as well as detail resolution. All of which are different in the Bifrost compared to the OG Gungnir MB. It has nothing to do with "speed" per se unless you are perceiving "speed" by the rise time of transient response. If so, then perhaps the Bifrost might sound "faster" to you because it seems to have a more aggressive "attack."

My Gungnir is an A1/Gen 3 USB version, it does not have all the latest tweaks, so I cannot compare it to the latest edition.

Aug 13, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #14,390 of 14,566
It's about dynamics (speed of transients or slew rate) and brightness (emphasis on upper midrange frequencies) as well as detail resolution. All of which are different in the Bifrost compared to the OG Gungnir MB. It has nothing to do with "speed" per se unless you are perceiving "speed" by the rise time of transient response. If so, then perhaps the Bifrost might sound "faster" to you because it seems to have a more aggressive "attack."

My Gungnir is an A1/Gen 3 USB version, it does not have all the latest tweaks, so I cannot compare it to the latest edition.
Thanks! My GMB is the same one, I think. A1 means OG?

Sep 1, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #14,392 of 14,566
This season at the symphony and opera are looking pretty strong - world premiere of John Adams's Antony and Cleopatra a week from Saturday, then Eugene Onegin, then Dialogues of the Carmelites.

At SFS, we've got Also Sprach Zarathustra, Mahler 2, Bartok Concerto for Orchestra in the first month. Brahms D minor concerto comes in November, followed by Beethoven's 9th in early December.

In the spring, highlights include Mahler 4 and 6, Bruckner 6, Sibelius 5 and concerto, some Debussy, Brahms violin concerto, Rachmaninov 3, and Die Frau Ohne Schatten at the opera.

Sep 5, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #14,396 of 14,566
Dolby Atmos? Spacial audio? Yawn.
I would say keep an open mind and wait until you've had a chance to hear it before forming an opinion.

I don't have a multichannel system or listening experience myself, but I have seen a consistent enthusiastic response from classical music listeners for immersive audio. For example, the classical music subforum on Audio Asylum has some members who are very serious and knowledgeable about classical music and recordings, and who strongly favor multichannel releases. I'm not currently in a position to make major changes to my system, but seeing this kind of reaction from multiple sources has made me curious and open to the possibility.

Here are impressions from Chris Connaker of the Audiophile Style website, after installing his multichannel system: https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/immersive/thoughts-on-immersive-audio-r1117/
Admittedly classical music isn't his primary listening, but his comments are relevant:

I've listened to more classical music in the last week, than I have in the last several years combined. The sole reason is immersive audio. The music hasn't changed, but the presentation has. There is no better genre for immersive audio than classical music. One reason is that no genre has dedicated venues such as the Berliner Philharmonie and the Wiener Musikverein, which play such a large role in the sound of the performance. Immersive audio has the ability to place the listener in any seat in the house, to hear the musicians, the attack, sustain, decay, release, and the reverberations of the space exactly as they sounded during the performance. Call me crazy, but I have no interest in hearing the reverberations and bad echos from a Pearl Jam show at Target Center in Minneapolis.
One example of immersive audio recreating a concert venue impeccably, can be heard on the album John Williams, The Berlin Concert. The second track, titled Olympic Fanfare and Theme, has a little venue noise before the track starts. It's only about 2 seconds before the track, but it's enough venue information to give the listener really good placement cues. Once the music starts, and one can hear all the music and reverb, it's fantastic, but even the tiny two second clip is good enough to create the ultimate illusion. This is similar in a way to playing an album recorded on tape. When one hits play, tape his is often present before the music starts. With immersive audio, the venue is often present when there is no music playing.

In any case, I'm sure that the Solti cycle will be offered in multiple formats, including probably a CD box set. The studios are achieving excellent results with today's remastering and restoration technology (such as in the Furtwangler studio box set) and it should be a good release.

Sep 6, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #14,397 of 14,566
Sep 22, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #14,400 of 14,566
The John Adams opera was kind of blah. I had high hopes but it wasn't all that engaging musically or dramatically. I left with the question - "Is Adams an opera composer?"

Saturday I have premiere orchestra seats to Also Sprach Zarathustra and a few other things. Esa-Pekka is conducting, so it should be excellent. Then, Mahler 2 the following Thursday and Mahler 1 on October 8, at Disney Hall with Dudamel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back