What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Sep 22, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #14,401 of 14,566
The John Adams opera was kind of blah. I had high hopes but it wasn't all that engaging musically or dramatically. I left with the question - "Is Adams an opera composer?"

Saturday I have premiere orchestra seats to Also Sprach Zarathustra and a few other things. Esa-Pekka is conducting, so it should be excellent. Then, Mahler 2 the following Thursday and Mahler 1 on October 8, at Disney Hall with Dudamel.
You have me a bit jealous. Mahler and Dudamel is always a slam dunk.

Sep 22, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #14,402 of 14,566
Otello in Philly on Sunday. Love the Academy of Music!

(edit: corrected Arts. It's Music!)

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #14,403 of 14,566
Modi multi-bit plus KSE1500 is a great desk setup. Yggdrasil is at the weekend pad with the Rag 2 and Salk speakers.

Esa-Pekka's Strauss was only okay - I wonder if the SFS just isn't that good of a symphony orchestra. But Florence Price's violin concerto was a treat! I didn't know who she was until I heard her yesterday.

Currently learning the jig from Bach's first partita (piano)

Oct 13, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #14,404 of 14,566
Updates - Dudamel's Mahler 1 was generally excellent, though I felt the first and especially second movements a bit indulgently slow. Disney Hall is so much better than Davies. And at the end he gave us an absolutely amazing encore - a remix of the Trisch Trasch Polka with Latin flair. Truly a memorable exclamation point on the evening.

Seeing Eugene Onegin tomorrow and the Bartok Concerto for Orchestra Saturday.

I've learned the first section of the jig. Working on the second section. (I learn about a bar at a time, working backwards from the end.)

Oct 31, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #14,405 of 14,566

An album of highlights from the upcoming remastered Solti Ring cycle is now available on the streaming services (Qobuz has it in 24/192). I compared some of the tracks to the current releases and there is a noticeable improvement in sound quality. Not a night and day difference of an already excellent sounding recording, but there is an increase in clarity, less distortion, and quieter background.

https://open.qobuz.com/album/nhjexs5vukooa

818WjZHcfOL._SL600_.jpg

Nov 1, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #14,406 of 14,566
Edited:

Just wondering about my Gungnir MB A1 w/ Gen 5 board. Has anyone tried taking a USB-C coming in from a cell (LG v40) and used a cable/adapter to the BNC in? The impedance has to be looked at (BNC cables usually 50, 75, 93 ohms), not sure what my current Gen 2 USB-C to USB-B Oyaide d+ is (90?), but easily measured. The speed seems compatiable.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #14,407 of 14,566
Just wondering about my Gungnir MB A1 w/ Gen 5 board. Has anyone tried taking a USB-C coming in from a cell (LG v40) and used a cable/adapter to the BNC in? The impedance has to be looked at (BNC cables usually 50, 75, 93 ohms), not sure what my current Gen 2 USB-C to USB-A Oyaide d+ is (90?), but easily measured. The speed seems compatiable.
There are several different things going on here:
  1. Standard Android is restricted to 48/24 USB output, and resamples to that rate if it gets anything else. That may not be ideal for best sound quality, unless you are using one of the few Android apps that support multiple sample rates
  2. You should be able to use a standard (or OTG, not sure about the LG v40) USB-C to USB-B cable to connect the LG v40 to the Gungnir, subject to restriction #1
  3. If you really want to use Gungnir's S/PDIF input, find a used Eitr (here's one on sale); you'd still need a USB-C to USB-B cable to connect from the LG v40 to the Eitr

Nov 2, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #14,408 of 14,566
There are several different things going on here:
  1. Standard Android is restricted to 48/24 USB output, and resamples to that rate if it gets anything else. That may not be ideal for best sound quality, unless you are using one of the few Android apps that support multiple sample rates
Get as high as 192/24. 48/24 with EQ.
  1. You should be able to use a standard (or OTG, not sure about the LG v40) USB-C to USB-B cable to connect the LG v40 to the Gungnir, subject to restriction #1
My bad I have USB-C to USB-B (not A) which goes to the USB input. I want to avoid the cost and loss of use if I send my Gungnir MB back to have a refresh and Unison installed.
  1. If you really want to use Gungnir's S/PDIF input, find a used Eitr (here's one on sale); you'd still need a USB-C to USB-B cable to connect from the LG v40 to the Eitr
No thank you. Not interested in S/PDIF input to Gungnir.

I'm taking about USB-C to BNC. Never used BNC, but some say it's the best input to the Gungnir. There are cables that support this. Has anyone tried it?

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #14,409 of 14,566
Get as high as 192/24. 48/24 with EQ.

My bad I have USB-C to USB-B (not A) which goes to the USB input. I want to avoid the cost and loss of use if I send my Gungnir MB back to have a refresh and Unison installed.

No thank you. Not interested in S/PDIF input to Gungnir.

I'm taking about USB-C to BNC. Never used BNC, but some say it's the best input to the Gungnir. There are cables that support this. Has anyone tried it?
The Gungnir BNC input IS SPDIF format. You cannot connect a USB source to a SPDIF input, the data format is all wrong.

Nov 2, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #14,410 of 14,566
The Gungnir BNC input IS SPDIF format. You cannot connect a USB source to a SPDIF input, the data format is all wrong.
Ahh... There you go. Thanks... Although why can you buy a USB-C to BNC cable?

Edit: or a cable with a BNC termination at any rate.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #14,412 of 14,566
Speaking of Ring Cycles, I got two new canvasses and they have just been hung.

1667453502195.png

Nov 14, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #14,414 of 14,566
Anybody thinking about upgrading Yggy? The cost seems so high that I'd be likelier to just get a second unit and use the first one exclusively for headphones.

Also curious to get more updates on the Urd and *fingers crossed* gadget in the new year.

Nov 14, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #14,415 of 14,566
Anybody thinking about upgrading Yggy? The cost seems so high that I'd be likelier to just get a second unit and use the first one exclusively for headphones.

Also curious to get more updates on the Urd and *fingers crossed* gadget in the new year.
The new Yggy is not an upgrade on current models in terms of the basic sonics. It does have a remote, you can turn off the megaburrito filter (by why?), and the chassis make for easier future upgrades.

URD seems to be in the pipeline with a late Q1 2023 availability date (if everything goes well). The last real update was that there was a communication snafu with the drive manufacturer which got cleared up.

Gadget? Anybody's guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back