What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Apr 28, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #14,281 of 14,566
I went to a San Francisco Symphony open rehearsal this morning. Here's a scene while musicians were still coming onto the stage. I like the casual atmosphere with musicians in jeans and sneakers. You can see a violinist in front who came in and sat down with his hoodie still up :slight_smile:. There's a different vibe from an evening concert, like the audience is there genuinely for music rather than going out for the evening.
20220428_095716.jpg

Guest conductor Klaus Mäkelä and violin soloist Vilde Frang (for the Alban Berg concerto), both rising stars but look like college kids.
20220428_103738.jpg
20220428_111539.jpg

Apr 29, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #14,282 of 14,566
I went to a San Francisco Symphony open rehearsal this morning. Here's a scene while musicians were still coming onto the stage. I like the casual atmosphere with musicians in jeans and sneakers. You can see a violinist in front who came in and sat down with his hoodie still up :slight_smile:. There's a different vibe from an evening concert, like the audience is there genuinely for music rather than going out for the evening.
20220428_095716.jpg

Guest conductor Klaus Mäkelä and violin soloist Vilde Frang (for the Alban Berg concerto), both rising stars but look like college kids.
20220428_103738.jpg 20220428_111539.jpg
How was the Alban Berg performance? That violin concerto is a big favorite of mine, unfortunately we won't be able to go to SF for it.

Apr 29, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #14,284 of 14,566

20220428_103738.jpg 20220428_111539.jpg
As we age anybody 30 years and younger look like kids.

Apr 29, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #14,285 of 14,566
As we age anybody 30 years and younger look like kids.
When violinist Vilde Frang came on stage, several people around me (and myself) were surprised to see a "kid". I checked later, and it turns out that she is actually 35 :scream:! But the conductor Klaus Mäkelä is an actual kid at only 26 years old with a spectacular career start, already appointed music director at Oslo Philharmonic and Orchestre de Paris and invited to conduct at top orchestras around the world.

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #14,287 of 14,566
Just wondering if anyone who may have added a nice dac to their system lately has any opinions to share? Hmmm….
I had been holding out for a used Rag, but I found a used Wyred 4 Sound DAC2V2 SE for a pretty good price, so I jumped on it. So far really happy. Have not compared it to any Schiit though. But it has really transformed my system in a good way.

May 10, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #14,288 of 14,566
Just wondering if anyone who may have added a nice dac to their system lately has any opinions to share? Hmmm….
I really like my Schiit Modius... I am waiting for the replacement Modi Multibit with Unison... @ December

May 11, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #14,289 of 14,566
Bifrost 2 is in stock now, so I'd jump on it. Modi/us is great if you're price constrained, but I think Bifrost makes sense as a longer-term purchase.

Yggdrasil is of course better still, but the returns are diminishing.

May 11, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #14,290 of 14,566
Bifrost 2 is in stock now, so I'd jump on it. Modi/us is great if you're price constrained, but I think Bifrost makes sense as a longer-term purchase.

On the Schiit forum one of the posters says he thinks his Gumby and Yggy OG are well worth the extra cost... out of my league, but I believe him.

May 11, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #14,291 of 14,566

But, but, how’s your Yggy singing if with those Salks? I thought maybe you were couch locked since receiving it.

May 12, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #14,292 of 14,566
It's shuttling between the office Mjolnir and living room Ragnarok.

It's clearly better than Modi, but Modi Multi-bit gets you further down the field than you might think. Certainly bifrost now with the new balanced interface is likely all most people need. I haven't heard OG, so I have no idea how it differs from less is more, but the best compliment I can make is that the component disappears. I know we sometimes speak of audio components as if we're Tannhauser in the Venusberg or the Barberini Faun, but it's really just an exercise in striking transparency, moving one down the line closer and closer to sitting in the hall. It is a very transparent tool and insightful instrument, and sounds quite extraordinary with the Salks.

May 12, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #14,293 of 14,566
It's shuttling between the office Mjolnir and living room Ragnarok.

It's clearly better than Modi, but Modi Multi-bit gets you further down the field than you might think. Certainly bifrost now with the new balanced interface is likely all most people need. I haven't heard OG, so I have no idea how it differs from less is more, but the best compliment I can make is that the component disappears. I know we sometimes speak of audio components as if we're Tannhauser in the Venusberg or the Barberini Faun, but it's really just an exercise in striking transparency, moving one down the line closer and closer to sitting in the hall. It is a very transparent tool and insightful instrument, and sounds quite extraordinary with the Salks.
Thanks.
Remind me/us what Salk speakers you have.
I saw/listened to Salk speakers (? specific models?) at AXPONA 2022, but they were not paired with Schiit Audio this year.

EDIT
RE: AXPONA 2022 Salk speakers.
I think they were (based on this: https://www.salksound.com/type.php?format=Floorstanding) the BePure 2.
https://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=BePure 2

Different rooms, music, electronics, etc etc. But I didn't like them as much as prior years Song3 BeAT models.
I also liked the Song3 BeAT better than (in different rooms, etc caveats) the more expensive SS 9.5's.
https://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=SS 9.5

Last edited:
May 12, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #14,294 of 14,566
We’ve got the song tower ribbon tweeter in the curly maple wood.

Listening to a lot of Mahler these days. Mahler 9 with rattle right now. Salks do it proud.

May 12, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #14,295 of 14,566
Which one? Berlin or Vienna?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back