What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Apr 16, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #13,488 of 14,565
Aren't the new boards supposed to be sidegrades? At least such was my understanding.
I think your correct, they did mention "different" flavors, so wondering if you will be able to order one or the others??
If you have to send it back to Schiit for the change-over this will be a minor pain.

Be interesting on how they market and announce this one?

Alex

Apr 16, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #13,489 of 14,565
If you have to send it back to Schiit for the change-over this will be a minor pain.

Autonomy would be a great update for Yggdrasil. Send it in once, never have to send it back again.

Granted, that would take a redesign of the chassis which could be a PITA at the beginning but it would probably save both Schiit and its customers a lot of pain down the road. Plus Yggdrasil is their statement DAC, so it would make sense for it to get Autonomy as well.

Apr 16, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #13,490 of 14,565
Great idea, but I think the YGGY has 6-7 boards in it?
This would indeed make things probably more costly etc..

Will be interesting for sure...

Many friends have the Chord dacs, but I am holding off for a Yggy from the B2 I have and really like.

:>)

Apr 16, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #13,491 of 14,565
I'm absolutely of the send it to them to upgrade school and let them figure out what to do with the leftover screws.
Of course, if 2 flavors are offered I could upgrade one to chocolate and the other to vanilla.
But they will have to come up with some sort of descriptive verbiage to differentiate them otherwise it would be a "potluck" scenario,
or like Cracker Jacks, you don't know what the prize is until you buy the box and open it.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #13,492 of 14,565
For me changing out a board isnt a big deal...but you might have to swap out eproms etc on co-existing boards as well.
This isnt hard, but for some it could be difficult from a bent pin thing and possibly a ESD issue.

Would be neat to have a Yggy with all (3) boards in the unit and be able to switch in-between them..

Probably a $5K unit?

Apr 16, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #13,493 of 14,565
I did the Unison upgrade myself, my first time ever doing something like that, and I didn’t find it difficult. I honestly really enjoyed it! However, I did redo my speaker crossovers and that was much more cumbersome. The Yggy doesn’t really need an upgrade for me but I am definitely intrigued by the options and what those will sound like.
Also, I’m fairly certain Mike’s inbox is loaded this morning...

Apr 16, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #13,494 of 14,565
I think your correct, they did mention "different" flavors, so wondering if you will be able to order one or the others??

Be interesting on how they market and announce this one?

Alex

Yes, that's what I heard too. Interesting concept - hopefully Schiit will bring different flavors of analog boards to the Bifrost 2 as well.

Apr 17, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #13,496 of 14,565
Yggy lacking Autonomy is the final obstacle (aside from my wallet) to get it
Same here, shipping cost to send back for upgrades would be obtrusively expensive for me.. I would very very seriously consider getting the Yggdrasil if it had Autonomy and also a slightly smaller form factor making it a bit more spaciously manageable.

:L3000:

Apr 17, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #13,497 of 14,565
Same here, shipping cost to send back for upgrades would be obtrusively expensive for me.. I would very very seriously consider getting the Yggdrasil if it had Autonomy and also a slightly smaller form factor making it a bit more spaciously manageable.

:L3000:
Sounds like you are describing Bifrost 2.

Apr 17, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #13,499 of 14,565
I'll continue using Modi Multibit until the Yggdrasil or Gungnir get remote control and Autonomy. Sounds like they have higher priorities to work on than upgrading their high-end DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back